new build troubles

hi guys, i just put together my new build it all starts up fine, but my CD/DVD player wont work. i mean it opens but the computer doesnt recognise theres a disc in there, and also it wont connect to the internet its like "install new network adapter drivers" but i need to be online to download these drivers lol please help with this, my first build too lol knew something would go wrong. I'm pretty damn sure i connected everything correctly, i went over it 3 times before coming here to ask for help. the parts i replaced were the mobo the CPU/GPU and case, used all other parts from my old system
    Last edited by Cleetuss; 2011-09-01 at 11:47 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You should have gotten a disc with your mobo. With have drivers on them you need to install to recognize the ethernet adapter. that solves the internet issue (once you get the disc drive working, that is)

Make sure that you have a sata cable attached from the drive to your motherboard. see if the drive is recognized in the bios.

you can tell this is my first build, i thought my mobo only had one sata port the others look like little plastic boxes and the ports on the side of them i didnt even see it haha, thanks so much for the help.

15+ Year Old Account
    *head desk* - that's my substitute for face palming while at work.

It's quite alright, I did some silly things my first time through too.

Glad it's up and working!

thanks again, drivers are downloading now my next question will be how to get my 2500k to 4.4 ghz =P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetuss View Post
    thanks again, drivers are downloading now my next question will be how to get my 2500k to 4.4 ghz =P
    plenty of "how to overclock my i5" threads/guides around.

already have it on 3.7 but ill look into more when i have the knowledge, i dont wana break anything

Do you have a after-market cooler first of all?

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

naw just stock cooler, but was told i can hold 4.2 on the stock with good airflows
    Last edited by Cleetuss; 2011-09-02 at 01:54 AM.

Intel stock coolers are terrible.
    This is what I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018
    It's absolutely amazing. I've touched the heat sink after heavy loads on my i7-950 and it's still cool to the touch.

I don't have any recorded temperatures, but there's some in the product reviews on newegg.
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

i have it set to turbo boost with its own little overclocking software it comes with and im holding 28 degrees celcius thats only at 3.7 though, max itll let me set is 4, but i dont want to do anything to ruin parts, like i said its still stock and im very very new to this.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just Google "How to overclock sandybridge" and read as much as you can.