Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Old thread, I know, but Google sent me here and it's not all that ancient. I just gave Ony a whirl.

She white hits for 20k+, with cleaves and flame breaths in the same ballpark, so after pull #1 my thought was 'yeah this isn't happening'. I was just basically heal-tanking her and only got her to like 92% before I was oom and dead. Tried it with my Earth Elemental, but he couldn't hold aggro when I was DPSing, and only lived for about 5 hits when I let him tank.

But I know shadow priests can solo it, and I've even seen a video of a fire mage soloing her, so I thought a little more effort was in order. I had my standard 34/7/0 spec and was using Dragonwrath, so I knew I could live longer than I had, the question was could I live longer and dps enough and not oom. Swapped to a Resto subspec for the additional healing and since Fire Ele was doing so much of the DPS, 40sec on his duration. Additionally, I used my 1h/shield combo most of the time, as the staff kinda sucks for tanking. 12.7k extra armor means about 25% less physical damage taken, and it was primarily the physical damage that was killing me.

Fire Elemental was still out for the first set of whelps, and I found I needed to save EM for phase2. I did get a second set just before she landed, and I used Earth Elemental to help keep them off me. I'll probably avoid the second set next week. Phase3 wasn't very hard with a shield and the resto talents.

I haven't seen any videos of Ele solo vs Ony 2.0. There's no way I'm the first to do it, but perhaps I should fraps it!

How you solo first boss in AQ40 as elem? When he splits into 3, they begin to interrupt you so you can't cast anything and slowly die.

How do you solo first boss in aq40 as elemental every hit silences you.
    Hi Sephurik

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a pretty neat build that is great for solo'ing: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#hMGGMkfkdGZZbhf:czrsors. If you have the tol barad immunity trinket it gets even better (dunno what's wrong with wowtalents, might be a caching bug but I intended to put 2 points into totemic focus instead of nature's guardian).
    Last edited by zenga; 2012-05-08 at 11:52 AM.

How did you survive the whelps in P2? Did the Fire Elemental aggro them? I always die to them when trying to solo her, i tried kiting and AE'ing them down with SWG up but still couldnt seem to kill the whelps without them melee'ing me to death.
    Any tips for P2? (P1 goes fine, and ill assume P3 will as well as its not much different)

Quote Originally Posted by zylya View Post
    The jousting bit is the only difficult bit - the packs of three are easy enough, for the second phase, you have to try and stay near new horses to jump on them as soon as you die. The horses respawned quite quickly for me, so I'd stay in one quarter. Once a guy was down, I'd move to a new quarter - when the guy respawns on a horse, he doesn't aggro to you (no idea why, could be a bug) and get the next guy down. Obviously all 3 up is the hardest bit. Once you've got all 3 of them to reset, they won't charge you or anything, so you simply go around and get their health low around the same time, then finish them all off before they respawn.

It was kind of complicated, and as I said it was possibly a bug anyway. What I'd aimed to do was just keep one guy on focus until he was beaten, then the next one, then the third and keep jumping onto new horses, just ran out of horses on one part, so ran away and found that one guy didn't follow me.

Oh yeah, and when you change horses they all "evade bug" for just a second or two - you can use this time to move far away and you should be able to get 3 shields up before they catch you. Either way they'll strip them off quickly, but it gives you a few seconds to get a charge or two in.

I think the jousting phase took me about 15-20 minutes overall, and I wiped on it a number of times before it worked out. After that everything was real easy, was aiming for Faceroller and the don't get hit by the ghouls achievement, and both were easy, as were the faction guys once they were off their mounts.
    Yeah, this hasn't worked any time I've tried it.. they didn't evade when you get dismounted/switch horses, they were completely resetting (despawning and everything).

---------- Post added 2012-05-08 at 09:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    How do you solo first boss in aq40 as elemental every hit silences you.
    As long as you are in melee range to where the boss can melee attack you he doesn't earthshock. The same holds true for when he splits, you have to move around so that you get into melee range of each one so they stop shocking and start meleeing.

as i most definitely could solo a few mount bosses in my IL (402) as elemental, im just too lazy to work on KT and EoE solos, with the new absorb totem and healing stream totem in mists, im just going to wait for that.

just trade off their CDs, drop damage absorb, when that totem ends, drop healing stream. and just do that over and over until the boss dies lol.

also id image if i spec into the pet elemental talent, hopefully there would be a way to make the earth ele tank the boss while i nuke it down so i don't lose casting time from taking hits.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ize View Post
    How did you survive the whelps in P2? Did the Fire Elemental aggro them?
    I died pretty quickly to them the first time I saw P2, but when I saved EM for phase2 I made it through alright, nothing too fancy.

I had down a Fire Ele buffed with flask, food, pre-pot, and power torrent. When the whelps started heading towards me I EM+CL'd my ass off at one side, which killed a bunch, then grouped them all up on my Fire Ele. Thuderstorm+Earthquake at my feet+ a few more CL's till I was taking the brunt of the damage then I hit my weaponswap back to shield/mace w/Earthliving and spam healed myself back up. Cunning of the Cruel helped; it'll proc on cooldown even as you're healing yourself, provided your Lightning Shield is glyphed.

While I'm imagining my Fire Ele took a few hits, he didn't really lose health and it felt to me like I was taking most of the damage. If you weren't, try it again with a pre-pot for your Fire Ele and a potion when they first come out. It's probably a gear thing, I'm in nearly T13 BiS, but a Volcanic potion makes up for a lot of gear.
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2012-05-08 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lumbrius View Post
    How you solo first boss in AQ40 as elem? When he splits into 3, they begin to interrupt you so you can't cast anything and slowly die.
    It has been awhile since I maxed that rep out, but I want to say the trick was being in melee and maybe actually swinging your weapon. If no one is in melee then the boss does the silence. I was doing 4 bosses in 359 resto gear...so it wasn't too challenging.

How I solo onyxia as elemental. Don't think it's the same tactic as you Mnevis, but it worked.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdS7xgr92e8

Good luck.

I tried soloing altairus in the vortex pinnacle as enhancement and elemental. But failed at both :s How good gear do you need to solo him? I have PvP gear and could'nt manage to do it. Is it necessary to have PvE gear when soloing?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alarsen View Post
    How I solo onyxia as elemental. Don't think it's the same tactic as you Mnevis, but it worked.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdS7xgr92e8
    Nice job, I'll use that phase1 positioning next week. Fewer whelps ftw. Lust when she takes off and you can bring her down before the second set of adds.

Also, I really like that song, thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    I can, of Naxx 80, solo all, except Thaddius and Kel'Thuzad. I can also solo Sartharion.
    How can a Elemental Shaman solo Instructor Raz?

Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    Up until Twins, C'thun not possible to solo.
    I assume Ele shamans can also solo C'thun by kiting Ouro into the room, considering it's a really low damage fight. At least at the beginning.
    Hi