Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    but if no one see's it, then it does not exist :P
    No, just that the sample size wasn't large enough.

If a tree falls in the woods with no one around, does it still make sound? Yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    i5-2500k is the best for gaming
    i3-2100 is the best on a budget
    i5-2300 is.... in between
    Amd is generally bad for gaming right now.

AMD is not BAD for gaming, where do you get that information? I just built my son a X4 965 based system and it holds 30+ FPS in every game we have played. You do not need overkill to enjoy every single title.

$124 for the 990fx board and $90 for the Cpu was a pretty good deal for something that overclocked to 4ghz pretty easy, I'm perfectly happy with the results. It may not get the 54+ FPS my I7 system maintains but it is perfectly playable in every title we have played together. Now lets take in consideration that all the AM3 chips and motherboards will get a price cut when Bulldozer is released, hopefully later this month and the entire "Budget" line will change.

i3-2100 $129 in 30 days $129
    X4 Phenom 970 $139 in 30 days $119
    x4 955,965,970,975,980 O.Ced above 3.8 will beat out a i3-2100 marginally in gaming.

To quote the new AMD CEO " We Need to Become Predators, Aggressors"

I would expect a much bigger price cut before the end of the year which would make anyone looking to build think about AMD again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleia View Post
    No, just that the sample size wasn't large enough.

If a tree falls in the woods with no one around, does it still make sound? Yes.
    according to quantum theory, if there is nobody around, there is no tree to fall, remove all interactions and observations, and an object ceases to exist

---------- Post added 2011-09-04 at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    AMD is not BAD for gaming, where do you get that information? I just built my son a X4 965 based system and it holds 30+ FPS in every game we have played. You do not need overkill to enjoy every single title.

$124 for the 990fx board and $90 for the Cpu was a pretty good deal for something that overclocked to 4ghz pretty easy, I'm perfectly happy with the results. It may not get the 54+ FPS my I7 system maintains but it is perfectly playable in every title we have played together. Now lets take in consideration that all the AM3 chips and motherboards will get a price cut when Bulldozer is released, hopefully later this month and the entire "Budget" line will change.

i3-2100 $129 in 30 days $129
    X4 Phenom 970 $139 in 30 days $119
    x4 955,965,970,975,980 O.Ced above 3.8 will beat out a i3-2100 marginally in gaming.

To quote the new AMD CEO " We Need to Become Predators, Aggressors"

I would expect a much bigger price cut before the end of the year which would make anyone looking to build think about AMD again.
    a 4ghz clock maybe easy, but dealing with the constant issues with overclocked AMD's is not, AMD really IS bad for gaming right now

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    Your also forgetting the fact that AMD motherboards are much cheaper then Intel ones
    Not really, the prices are pretty close to the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I don't mind my AMD (athalon 64x2) CPU is close to 6 years old now and I still run SC2,WOW(when I played) and other games at a constant 40Fps+ at 1080 and everything on high with little to no issues.

according to quantum theory, if there is nobody around, there is no tree to fall, remove all interactions and observations, and an object ceases to exist

---------- Post added 2011-09-04 at 08:58 PM ----------

a 4ghz clock maybe easy, but dealing with the constant issues with overclocked AMD's is not, AMD really IS bad for gaming right now
    What problems are there with AMD overclocking? I haven't heard anything about instability's, true they don't overclock as well as a Sandybridge right now but you can still pull out 4.5-5Ghz on a 1100T no problem. Which is usually as far as your average overclockers goes, so what are these issues?
    What is magic, If not the expression of a human's desire to create something from nothing directed solely by their own mind.
    One may even describe such an occurrence as art. - Mr.E

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeant View Post
    What problems are there with AMD overclocking? I haven't heard anything about instability's, true they don't overclock as well as a Sandybridge right now but you can still pull out 4.5-5Ghz on a 1100T no problem. Which is usually as far as your average overclockers goes, so what are these issues?
    err no, 1100t caps out around 4.3 and thats pushing 1.6v just to keep them stable enough to boot windows, they have massive issues with overclocking, i have 3 1090ts, non of them are stable past 3.7ghz, my best friend just shut off the OC on his 1100t completely because he was sick of the crashing, and he was only pushing 3.9ghz

10+ Year Old Account
    err no, 1100t caps out around 4.3 and thats pushing 1.6v just to keep them stable enough to boot windows, they have massive issues with overclocking, i have 3 1090ts, non of them are stable past 3.7ghz, my best friend just shut off the OC on his 1100t completely because he was sick of the crashing, and he was only pushing 3.9ghz
    Highest I could get 24/7 stable was 4.2GHz on a 1090T haha. Even pushing 1.65v through it I couldn't get 4.3 Lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I overestimated AMD for the potential of over-clocking on their CPU's I've have read (claims) of 4Ghz-4.5Ghz and Highest stable bench I've seen is 5, but only stable at 3.7Ghz's for you Cyanotical? That's pretty much what the core unlocker brings it up to no? Saithes was able to manage a 4.2Ghz so I don't know maybe you just need to give it another shot.

Kind of disappointing for AMD thought, but if you want a sub $200 processor then AMD still fit's that niche nicely. Hope to see better from them on bulldozer but we see.
    What is magic, If not the expression of a human's desire to create something from nothing directed solely by their own mind.
    One may even describe such an occurrence as art. - Mr.E

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeant View Post
    I guess I overestimated AMD for the potential of over-clocking on their CPU's I've have read (claims) of 4Ghz-4.5Ghz and Highest stable bench I've seen is 5, but only stable at 3.7Ghz's for you Cyanotical? That's pretty much what the core unlocker brings it up to no? Saithes was able to manage a 4.2Ghz so I don't know maybe you just need to give it another shot.

Kind of disappointing for AMD thought, but if you want a sub $200 processor then AMD still fit's that niche nicely. Hope to see better from them on bulldozer but we see.
    there are cpu's you can overclock over 8 ghz running stable. ofc you need liquid ice or no2 if remember correctly to cool it
    http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

Quote Originally Posted by gearsofwow View Post
    I dont understand how everyone can say AMD is not as Good as Intel, AMD is releasing the Bulldozer around late september unless they feel like changing it again, And personally Id rather pay around $300 for an 8 Core processor that runs at 3.6ghz and 4.2 OC than $1000 for the exact thing at 6 cores from intel... But thats just how I see things...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072

Idk who ripped you off almost 5x the cost, but the i5 2500k is only $220 (Free shipping too! :3)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Logiic View Post
    Amd = mooaaarrrr cooooores

seriouslly go Intel, Amd's Bulldozer are going to be bad
    Grats on the proof-based, non-troll comment..?

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Except the i7 2600K is £100 more...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=363

They're pretty much the same. Personally I'd go with Intel myself.
    Last edited by Glomp; 2011-09-05 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    Bulldozer "should" be just around the corner. I'd wait and see what happens.
    He's looking for a sub-$800 build, and those Bulldozer processors are supposed to sit in the $300+ range. The motherboards were recently reviewed (3 were), and they ranged from $250-350, something like that, and I think the best-rated (ASUS) was $320. So you're looking at about $625 before RAM, HDD/SDD (unlikely for a casual), case, PSU (possibly included with the case), graphics card, and peripherals.

To add on, these aren't going to be crap processors. By that, I mean that I read that liquid cooling options might be standard for them. If a casual gamer is coming here for processor advice, what are the odds liquid cooling is doable for him? Of course, that's probably only relevant for overclockers, so stock air cooling might suffice, but I'd still say a solid aftermarket one would be wise for a $300+ processor investment, no?

Anyway, I'd say Bulldozer's not exactly a likely option, in terms of the Zambezi front. Maybe a Llano (I think I've got the right codename) APU would be smart, assumning they have the competent visual capabilities like I would expect from AMD. I'm not sure where those will sit in terms of processor pricing or motherboard needs.

I'd say if you're going to get a mid-level build now, as much as I don't want to say it, Intel's probably the best bet. AMD's usually the better performancerice ratio company, but what they have out is pretty old, while the i-line processors are old enough to be purchased for commonplace, somewhat budget rigs at this point, no?

Unless the budget's going to creep up to the $1250+ range, I'd say Bulldozer's not much of an option here.

---------- Post added 2011-09-05 at 06:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post

Idk who ripped you off almost 5x the cost, but the i5 2500k is only $220 (Free shipping too! :3)
    Maybe he's full of it, or maybe he's getting crazy with the enthusiast line of Intel processors and their pricing?

Anyway, what processor's ever $1,000? IDK.

15+ Year Old Account
    You need to look at the prices again. You can get a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX board which offer the same bells and whistles you get on the 1366 and 1155 version for $189. You can find 990F boards with great options for under $140 and mini's for around $100. Quite frankly the Bulldozer prices might be a bit higher than the current Sandy Bridge but it will drop fast and be cheaper within months of launch.

As far as the F1 series fusion chips, you can build a low end cheap system that will play any game out at a very playable fps and settings for around $400.. never mind you wont have to many future upgrades in the CPU department, good bang for the buck though on a cheap gaming system.

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/inde...g-performance/
    Last edited by Auralian; 2011-09-05 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post

A lot of people seem confused by his comment. He never said the i5 2500k was $1000.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115079.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    As far as the F1 series fusion chips, you can build a low end cheap system that will play any game out at a very playable fps and settings for around $400
    Except for 25-man raids in WoW which would run at about 6fps with all settings on low. And since this is WoW fansite and OP wanted to play WoW, such setups are not viable at all.

---------- Post added 2011-09-05 at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    A lot of people seem confused by his comment. He never said the i5 2500k was $1000.
    No, the confusion came from misinformed people comparing AMD's 6-cores to the i7-990x for some strange reason. i7-2600K will already beat every single Phenom on multithreaded tests so why bother comparing to the $1000 CPU when $300 is enough. And if you ignore some multithreaded rendering tests $200 i5-2500K will also beat every single Phenom.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Im partial to AMD, always have and always will be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    He's looking for a sub-$800 build, and those Bulldozer processors are supposed to sit in the $300+ range. The motherboards were recently reviewed (3 were), and they ranged from $250-350, something like that, and I think the best-rated (ASUS) was $320. So you're looking at about $625 before RAM, HDD/SDD (unlikely for a casual), case, PSU (possibly included with the case), graphics card, and peripherals.
    That is such bullshit. Only the top model, the 8150 will be around the 300 dollar mark. The quad/hexa core at launch will be much less. Also those reviewers probably picked up the most expensive boards out there, seeing as i can pick up an AM3+ board for under 100 euro (granted 970 chipset). But also the 990FX chipsets arent all 200+ dollar. (just check newegg)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    That is such bullshit. Only the top model, the 8150 will be around the 300 dollar mark. The quad/hexa core at launch will be much less.
    You missed the point.

Gamers are interested in both price/performance and raw performance. If for example only the top end Bulldozer will compete with i5-2500K for gamer's money, then the pricing of the lower end offering is irrelevant except for people who are working with super-low budget.

Bottom line is that most of this thread is pure speculation when it comes to future CPU performance because there are no third party gaming benchmarks available. So claiming that $100 AMD will be better than $200 Intel for gaming use is premature.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.