[Holy] News from the western front: Serenity crit is broken

no, he's using a sample size of 50. To get any kind of consistency you need a sample size of at least 1000.

I did such a test quite some time ago, posted it in a thread about the efficiency of holy heals somewhere back 3-4 months ago. HW:Serenity does indeed yield 25% additional crit. However, there's some kind of odd behavior with how multiple sources of crit% apply. It seems to be related to the crit cap and how high your crit already is. If I had to guess, I'd say each additional source of crit ratios against the crit cap.

You have:
    ~13% crit from int+crit rating.
    10% crit from chakra:serenity
    5% crit from leader of the pack
    25% crit from HW:S

If those just added, you'd have 53% crit.
    However, they seem to multiply in some way against the cap, and really you wind up with something like 37% crit.

Don't believe everything someone posts just because they back up what they're saying with math. That goes for what I say, too. You have to think it through, see if the poster forgot to think of something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't read the thread, only the opening posts, but 50 casts to determine this is a terrible sample size.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Scroll down to Kaels' post then. Much larger sample size.

Also, 95% confidence interval says 50 samples is enough.

he also defends his small sample size then reinforces his argument with another test sample size 150.

I'm not very fluent in statistics, but I remember what my Political Science professor told me about polling. To get confidence of +/- 3 points in polling, they need 3500 responses. Seems like he should do a test this large before trying to make any kind of claim. His 'population size/confidence interval' calculator seems geared to a different scenario and taken very out of context.

But, looking at Kael's post it's possible. I still think he needs a bigger sample.

Quote Originally Posted by zakaluka View Post
    he also defends his small sample size then reinforces his argument with another test sample size 150.

I'm not very fluent in statistics, but I remember what my Political Science professor told me about polling. To get confidence of +/- 3 points in polling, they need 3500 responses. Seems like he should do a test this large before trying to make any kind of claim. His 'population size/confidence interval' calculator seems geared to a different scenario and taken very out of context.
    The sample sizes in question are plenty large given the enormous disparity in actual results (~30%) versus predicted (50%+) and the confidence intervals he calculates are correct. It's just a standard binomial distribution. Your polling example is a different situation.

Deleted
    As far as I can tell it is broken. I did a test of 200 Flash Heals with Serenity on the target and got a crit of 19.5%

My base crit is 10.87% (with things that proc taken off, like power torrent staff, trinkets etc).

Since I'd expect to be getting nearer 45% if it was working, even with such a small sample size it's pretty clear that something isn't right.