Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlebox View Post
    The reality is though... WoW will not be killed by another MMO. It will be killed by Blizzard. When a new game comes out, if they cannot get to at LEAST half the subscriptions as WoW, they will not have the capital to keep up with material that Blizzard currently does.
    There are games that put out more material than WoW ever did. But before it would be worth the wait. Currently it's just an increasing wait time between each patch, with less and less content. WoW is probably something like the mmo that gets the least love from it's developer out on the market right now.

A good enough game could probably "kill" wow (as in taking let's say75% of their player base over time, just a random number). But none of the games so far have moved far enough away from the "WoW-model" and properly revolutionized the genre.

So yeah, Blizzard will kill WoW. (One could argue that they are doing it right now, no?). And then you'll see a new giant rise to take up the competition with "Titan" But now I have stared into my crystal ball long enough.

i don't think it's dead, is it? it merely failed to overthrow wow (which don't mean shit).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    i don't think it's dead, is it? it merely failed to overthrow wow (which don't mean shit).
    It can be charitably be described as 'on life support' after the billing fiasco that happened a short while back that put a good number of its subscribers in dire financial straits until Mythic and their billing vendor straightened things out.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I used to play the tabletop 40k version and I was a little disappointed with it. Mythic developed it and EA distributed it, and never really supported it. The outdoor raiding/instance system was annoying when too many people piled in it. I left before the first month was over. I am hoping that the 40k MMO will be much better, although I wish Relic was developing it, but I am glad that EA is not involved. Not too sure I will hop on the SW:TOR bandwagon just yet.

yeah, war is dead. Any mmo that is abandoned by it's developers and cease to release relevant content is dead. Warhammer is dead, Aion is rotting and it does happen when they can't sustain a healthy subscription base to continue development of the game. SO there lies the first thing that kills mmos, paying monthly for no further development

I tried when they announced the free 20 first levels or something. At first the UI is a total mess, buttons everywhere and they were many. Second is the reason wow-clones fail: you play for a while and you see more and more that the game is like wow, too much like wow, but those things are much better done or developed in wow so you think "if I'm gonna play a game just like wow better be wow itself" and they quit

Deleted
    I loved warhammer, i thought it was a fantastic game especially the massive keep battles. My problem was that my comp at the time couldn't run it (oooold computer) when i finally got a new one and tried it again it was nearly empty, little things like the links on their website going to dead pages, or the latest news on the front page that hadn't been updated for over a year put me off. It really feels like it's been abandoned by developers.

What also probably didn't help is that i believe it was the first mmo that was supposed to be a 'wow killer', or it's the first that i remember anyway, meaning that they couldn't learn from the mistakes that companies before them made, for example they opened a massive amount of new servers on launch that died not long after, something that rift definitely learned from. This and obviously the hype built up about it because it was a warhammer game (which is what i'm thinking will happen with tor) which they just couldn't live up to!

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Same thing that killed Rift, Gamebryo engine.

Butt ugly WoW clones, will not kill WoW.
    Rift is not dead. Nice try though.

Really enjoyed the RvR lakes in warhammer but a few things that killed it off in my eyes, pure connection in the uk, for years the ports were throttled at peak times, but nothing was ever done about it making game unplayable for many potentential players, unlike Rift took them few days and they changed port values since they knew BT the national isp in UK were not changing their piracy policy for a game.
    Also the game never got any new RVR content for high lvls so basically the RR80s were in the same RVR zones as lvl 32-fresh 40s, the game badly needed t4(I think memory fails me might be T5 next) level outdoor zones and lakes for these high lvls to be all balanced (RR 50+ since I think the new lvl cap was 100 before I quit).
    Oh and regarding Rift @primernova Rift is the 2nd biggest MMO is the west now, only Wow has more active subs, so thats far, far from dying.

I really enjoyed the PVP. It was a lot of fun.

But the reason why it didn't reach the success it should have had (with the IP) is the pve was pretty lacking. And the majority of the market craves pve.

Warhammer is better in PvP than WoW, and is not dead.