Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    You could always guild hop =/
    Hi Sephurik

Deleted
    @OP 100% guarantee there are thousands of guilds in WoW which would take you if you had the ZA/ZG gear (some gear from T11 pugs won't hurt) and could write a decent app or talk to the raid lead and be a semi likable person. Do some looking, ask around on your server(s) or look on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzhoof View Post
    Behold one of the biggest reasons I despise raiding guilds: They're cliques. I was in a particular raiding guild for 2 years during Wrath, and during the night in question we were attempting our B-Squad ToC10 HM for the first time. Now the fact that there was an A-Squad should give away the cliquey right there. But anyway, the guild was cruising along in this run, with my GF's Ele shaman. This was her night. There was finally an open spot for her, she comes in and is 2nd on the charts. Not bad for a first timer.

But about an hour and a half into the raid, this guy signs on and sees we are doing ToC10 HM. His main is in A-Squad. He wants in on his crappy alt. The raid leader gives without much effort, and my GF is unceremoniously dumped from the raid. I confront the raid leader later, who was actually more of a Co-GM. I tell him that it was a bullshit call, and other players could not progress in the guild if only the same 10 individuals raided. His response was basically that we should feel honored to even be brought at all, and we were subject to be kicked in favor of A-Squad at any time and for any reason. Harsher words were exchanged, and both she and I left a short time later.

The guilds I experienced later weren't much better. Almost everyone had a core 10-man group that was really close, and 25s were attempted (and usually pugged) because the leet raiders wanted better gears. A "B-Squad" was almost always in the works for 10-mans, but a plethora of lame excuses usually kept that from becoming a reality.

I'll never understand why these people even recruit. Is it some kinda perverse "Gotta Catch Em All" mentality? Most new people never do well in these guilds. Many never even make friends with The Inner Circle. So yeah, I'm quite done with these guilds, thanks.
    Have you ever considered joining a guild's "A-team" then? It's not like people stay online for ever, every single guild no matter how tight knit the core has a certain amount of player turnover. If you join as a casual and are brought in to backup, then the real raider logs on you have no right to complain. After all you never did join as a main raider did you? Now granted, the guilds you described are extra douchebuggy about it (although given that it happened to be your GF I don't 100% trust your objective opinion either). My point is that progressed raids are "cliques" out of necessity, don't expect to be treated like a core raider if you didn't apply/join and make rank as a core raider. Most decent guilds won't be assholes about it, and won't enforce this for alt runs or w/e but as a general rule the "core" rank isn't there just for looks.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2011-09-06 at 03:22 PM.

There are a ton of factors that go into end game raiding most of which are complete bullshit. I cleared most raids up to the entry level cata raids. In LK I played a Ret Pally and Elem Shaman and got into a decent amount of guild and non guild raids with little problem. Come Cata I cant get into shit for no apparent reason. I now have a resto shaman who is in mostly T12 and similar gear.

My guild doesnt do raids, the guilds that do want me to fill out an application online on one of their shitty websites and I never hear back about anything, and 3 out of the 4 pugs I have tried this past week want me to link my achievement. Why the fuck do I need an achievement for a raid I am about to do. Did I miss the fact that apparently Blizz gives you the achievements when hitting 85? How am I supposed to get the achievement when people wont let me raid with them cause I dont have the achievement? Its a catch 22 and it sucks.

I may never be able to see end game content for the current exp pack all because I dont have some bullshit achieve. You can check my gear, thats almost understandable. I have nothing that would prohibit me from successfully doing a raid. Experience in that particular raid doesnt count, its the same shit over and over for each boss, if you know one boss you got the basics to do em all. This game isnt fucking rocket science, run in with group, avoid AOE, move when needed, hit/tank/heal, and youre done.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Do some looking, ask around on your server(s) or look on forums.
    Its very possible you may want to seriously look into server xferring if you want a raiding guild that will both take you, and is a good fit for you.

the majority of raiding appears to be done by around 10% of the servers who have roughly the same population of 85s as the bottom 40-60% combined... and the bottom servers have just bled players almost from launch because of this.

Deleted
    I was unsubbed (as guild disbanded) for a month or two before Firelands with only 10/13hc progression next tier. When Firelands came out I was asked to join another guild's raids and I did, raiding once a week and 6/7hc for like a month now.

You just have to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    My guilds currently recruiting for a tank spot, we're progressing on heroics but we don't expect every app to have the same experience. However we seem to receive 2 distinct types of App.

Type 1) Player is near our level of progression with decent gear and experience and writes a decent thought out app, knows class well, etc. (very rare and offered a trial immediately).

Type 2) player has limited or zero experience (not a problem per-se) but gear is a joke, half unenchanted, ungemmed, not reforged, can barely string a sentence together. Zero class understanding. (common and dismissed instantly).

Whilst we would welcome apps from competent players with slightly lacking ilvl these players seem to not actual exist (maybe your the exception to the rule).
    The only problem with that theory is the fact that even on a more rare occasion u come accross players like myself that fit into the type three rule as to where i have the experience in hardcore progression in previous exp/teirs i just cant type worth shit to save my life so all my apps look like one worded retarted answers but the true skill is there in game just not in writing format lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ChosenSpitfire View Post
    Hi there,

i have a simple question: Has someone, who has resubscribed back to WoW, ANY chance to get a raid group for FL normal mode without pugging? I have unsubscribed 4 months ago because i had that problem with my old main (Tier 11 raid of course). I had only 8/12 NHC and i got no raid group after my guild teared apart... i was on 5 different servers, one of them was even a UK one. But every raid group, that i had, had the problem, that their raid members were to late or didn't came online etc. Or i didn't found any raid group, that wasn't raiding heroic...

I started one month ago again with a new char and i'm now at that point, where my equip couldn't be better except for raid gear. But my new guild, well... they are like the ones that i had months ago... the raids won't start. And a little part of me wants to quit again.

For me it seems that everyone is raiding heroic... and everyone, who doesn't want to pug or wants a normal raid since he knows the bosses only from guides and vids, has no chance to get into the raids, to get equipment and experience, so that he can finally go and do the first heroic bosses. And that's sad.

Am i right or am i just a very unlucky guy? Or are there any tips and suggestions, what could help? And please, do not troll, just post constructive things.

So far
    ChosenSpitfire

(And sorry for my english, but english isn't my first language.)
    if you can play well its not that hard, farm some rep gear, do the 5mans, look for a big guild that is doing runs, explain that you were a heroic raider and are trying to get back into the raid scene and eventually youll be in a stable raid group

---------- Post added 2011-09-06 at 06:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tg4life666 View Post
    The only problem with that theory is the fact that even on a more rare occasion u come accross players like myself that fit into the type three rule as to where i have the experience in hardcore progression in previous exp/teirs i just cant type worth shit to save my life so all my apps look like one worded retarted answers but the true skill is there in game just not in writing format lol
    I understand that, I am pretty good at selling myself on applications and cvs etc, so i have got into some pretty good guilds on my server, but people I know are better than me write crap applications and have been turned down because their application has reflected badly on them

but what i have found is, aslong as your gear is well enchanted and properly reforged it doesnt really matter about item level because guilds can get you gear very fast, what they are looking for is proof that you know what your doing, this is shown by wol reports, proper gemming reforging etc.
    but when applying when they say, why do you want to join, never ever ever ever say " You guys have better progress and I want gear" even if that is the truth, its almost an instant decline because they think you will jump ship after your geared

---------- Post added 2011-09-06 at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tidycat View Post
    There are a ton of factors that go into end game raiding most of which are complete bullshit. I cleared most raids up to the entry level cata raids. In LK I played a Ret Pally and Elem Shaman and got into a decent amount of guild and non guild raids with little problem. Come Cata I cant get into shit for no apparent reason. I now have a resto shaman who is in mostly T12 and similar gear.

My guild doesnt do raids, the guilds that do want me to fill out an application online on one of their shitty websites and I never hear back about anything, and 3 out of the 4 pugs I have tried this past week want me to link my achievement. Why the fuck do I need an achievement for a raid I am about to do. Did I miss the fact that apparently Blizz gives you the achievements when hitting 85? How am I supposed to get the achievement when people wont let me raid with them cause I dont have the achievement? Its a catch 22 and it sucks.

I may never be able to see end game content for the current exp pack all because I dont have some bullshit achieve. You can check my gear, thats almost understandable. I have nothing that would prohibit me from successfully doing a raid. Experience in that particular raid doesnt count, its the same shit over and over for each boss, if you know one boss you got the basics to do em all. This game isnt fucking rocket science, run in with group, avoid AOE, move when needed, hit/tank/heal, and youre done.
    See if your pugging and someone asks you for ach, and you have it on an alt or you are 100% sure of tactics, just link someone elses ach, usually it works, they never check the name
    Last edited by mmoc653be429b6; 2011-09-06 at 05:43 PM.

If you want to join a raiding guild that is progression focused you might have some trouble. You can probably find a casual guild that is progressing through normal modes and go from there. If you're a serious raider coming back you might have trouble lowering your standards to that though. It depends on what you want out of WoW.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I guess I have such little experience with all this guild hopping and guild drama BS. When I started playing it was with RL friends who got me into their 25 man raiding guild, joined at the end of Vanilla, and I stayed with them up through T5 content. Then I rerolled as a warrior on a new server with group of 4 other RL friends, leveling up and doing dungeons. At 70 I ditched them and joined a casual guild and was happy doing Kara and pugging into Gruul for the rest of TBC. End of TBC I tanked a bunch of nerfed BT and Hyjal runs after 3.0 dropped but before WotLK launched. I got "recruited" to a brand new WotLK 25 man guild focused on progression. That was all good for about 5 months until we hit a wall with OS3d and the guild broke.

Then I applied to the best guild on the server, made my case (they didn't have a warrior tank at the time), typed my application using actual English, and was accepted with very little fuss. I've been a core 95+% attendance raider there for the past like 2 years.

Honestly; be an adult, make your case, and don't type like you are in 6th grade. The raid leaders and core membership in my guild are all in the 24-30 age range. Every time I read a story about a horrible scrubby guild that has poor attendance and can never get shit done, I picture a bunch of 17 year olds lol'ing around and not taking anything seriously. You can't say "It's just a game" in one breath and then "I hate that I'm not progressing." There has to be some degree of seriousness put into this hobby if you want to accomplish anything.

I'm of the honest opinion that there's always a way to get into the kind of raiding guild that you want, if you really want it and are willing to work for it. If you are starting from level 0 it may take a few months is all. Instead of asking why the guilds you want won't take you in, ask yourself what they are looking for in players and good applications.

Have you done everything you can to improve your gear? T11 runs which are easily puggable, molten front dailies for 365 gear, full gems and enchants?
    Can you pull good numbers and stay out of bad stuff, even while pugging raids? Create your own WoL account to show this if you must!
    Do you really know how to play your class well? Can you go beyond and above your call (dps/heals/tank) and make the most use of your abilities?
    Can you listen and communicate effectively? This is harder if your first language isn't English, but do your best.

As an example, I used to raid hardcore in classic but quit for several years before returning to hit level 80 the night before ICC was released. I was picked up by an extremely casual guild who always had to pug a few people for their 10m, only raided 1-2 times a week, and didn't get past the first 4 bosses for a long time. After about 5 months of this, a 25m gdkp run was formed on my server by an above average 10m guild looking for better loot, and I was able to get in (call it lucky if you will). Apparently I impressed them enough that the following week, I was asked to fill in for their absent raider to do *heroic* ICC 10m with them... and that was that. That guild no longer exists (sadly ) but I went 12/12H with them, which gave me the chance I needed to join my current guild and go 13/13H and now 6/7H.

If you want to join a good guild, I assume you want to be a really good player. Work at it. Be really, really good at what you do, so that all you need is a chance. Look for opportunities to raid with the kinds of guilds you want to join, be it if they're running an alt raid and pugging from trade, or if they have an opening in their roster and are accepting applications.

TL;DR: Be the kind of player a raiding guild wants in their team. Don't want for someone to pick you up and have to teach you how to play, gem/enchant, optimize your UI/keybinds, etc.
    Last edited by Aleysia; 2011-09-06 at 06:50 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    1: Read up on your class, get to know how things have changed since the last time you played.

2: gear up with 5man dungeons, get all the JP gear and fill up with ZG / ZA gear with remaining slots.

3:Maybe one of the most important parts: Reforge, gem and enchant your gear with best stats, enchants and gems possible for your class / specc. This will show the guild you apply to that you know your class, and are dedicated to your character, even if you know you will replace a item in the next days / hours, when you make an application to a guild, this should be done to be taken as a player worthy of their attention.

4: If you are a DPS specc, go to your target dummy, and practice your rotation, if you're a healer / tank, this point should be learned by practice in dungeons and experience.

5: When you have done this, find a raid guild that you think that you can feel comfortable with. not a guild doing heroic modes, but a guild progressing in FL on normal mode, you can find list of raidguilds on your server on different websites such as Wowprogress Dot com (Can't post links on this forum yet)

6: Watch movies and study strategies for the bosses that the guild of your choosing have killed, so that you know the fights in theory.

7: Go to their website of the guild you choose, and apply to them, being honest saying that you have been on a break from wow for a while, and are eager to get back to raiding. use a browser with grammar correction, so you get red lines under words spelled incorrectly. better grammar = better chance of being taken serious. also, having one thing less for the guilds forum trolls to pick on.
    Tell about your previous experience, and and things that you feel are an accomplishment, you killed something before it got nerfed? write it down, did an achievement early that were hard to do? write it down, all these small things that you may thing don't mather, can play a huge part in your application. maybe there will be a guy in there who have experienced the same thing who think it's awesome. 1 guy that like you, can turn an entire guild from being "meh" too "Yeeeeeee"

8: Don't be annoying in guild chat, you should talk with people, but don't grab every single opportunity to talk about yourself and how cool you are, talk about others. same thing if you try to hit on a girl, avoid talking about yourself, and tell her how amazing she is (don't use those exact words to a fellow guildie, that may turn the situation completly).

9: Have fun, don't fuck up, loot epics and get achievements.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyfoxy View Post
    8: Don't be annoying in guild chat, you should talk with people, but don't grab every single opportunity to talk about yourself and how cool you are, talk about others. same thing if you try to hit on a girl, avoid talking about yourself, and tell her how amazing she is (don't use those exact words to a fellow guildie, that may turn the situation completly).
    Can I QFT this like 100 times?

We just had a rogue show up last week. He quit a 1/7H 10m guild on our server to join us (3/7H 25m). He joins the raid as we are on Baleroc and we get him in so we can try him out. He busts into vent and is super chatty, and the third thing he says is "I hope my axe drops."

Like, really dude?

Join a guild, be humble, participate, and do your job well; and keep your mouth shut for at least a little while. Guilds are a "clique" because I want to be around good people for the 12 hours per week that I'm raiding. I give people a chance, but I also know who is annoying and I don't really want to be around. We nix people all the time who just don't fit in. It's okay to be arrogant sometimes, it's -not- okay to be arrogant when you are first meeting a group of people.

You can let your personality come through, but remember about first impressions. Show up and do your job well first.

Quote Originally Posted by youswas View Post
    In general, I steer clear of guilds with more than one group. There's no reason, none at all, to have more than one raid group in a given guild. It rarely works, and the less progressed groups ALWAYS get the short end of the stick whether it's having to accept alts from the A group, or never filling holes in the roster. If the B group dies, who cares? A group is what matters - A group is the prestige holder in the guild.

NEVER. EVER JOIN A "B GROUP". NEVER. In fact, never join a guild that has an A group and a B group.
    So my guild recently just went to 10s b/c we couldnt make numbers for 25 - Are you saying we cut our losses and kick the other 10 people that want to raid? Instead of making a second team that can raid on a differant day with older members they are all happy with?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Can I QFT this like 100 times?

We just had a rogue show up last week. He quit a 1/7H 10m guild on our server to join us (3/7H 25m). He joins the raid as we are on Baleroc and we get him in so we can try him out. He busts into vent and is super chatty, and the third thing he says is "I hope my axe drops."

Like, really dude?
    Haha yea. Ive seen a lot those guys trough the years. Usualy they turn out to be bad or does good dps but dies to everything that they are supposed to move away from.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenSpitfire View Post
    i have a simple question: Has someone, who has resubscribed back to WoW, ANY chance to get a raid group for FL normal mode without pugging?
    Sure you can. Buy what you can from the AH or crafters; run heroics until your eyes bleed. You should then have 3 pieces of 378 plus a few others and 353/359 in every other slot. Then try and get a trial run with a guild. If you cant, then perhaps transfer to a higher population server.

I got admit is not easy to re-start playing WoW, no matter what previous experience you have, no matter how many realm first you keep in your hat people will always think you are not good enough. Well people need to realize that no matter what expansion you are playing the skills that make a god raider will always be the same. Tactics are secondary, all good raiders know that it's strictly forbidden to stay on fire, voidzones or poison pools or literally anything that spawns. A good raider will also read the most he can to understand what did those specific changes brought to his class and why should he gem this instead of that and use this stat instead of that one. But the most important skill of all is focus if you aren't focus you simply won't be able to do what you should be doing. From my personal experience as a raider and a raid leader you can easily see wich players have this skills.

I just re-subscribed to WoW in mid August, my guild was disbanded when i left cause all of us were about to stop playing, so when I got back, I was in the middle of a nightmare , had no guild to go due to no experience in cataclysm raiding, had no friends around to help me gearing up. Tried endless pugs but they seemed to get worst day by day, till the day i lost my mind and decided it was time to get my old guild up and running. Things arent easy we are only starting to gear up our chars now but atleast i know that I will raid.

They will have a very, very, VERY hard time getting into groups.

I've recently made my first 85 horde character, and I haven't been able to get into any pug raids, even though I've done Tot4w 9 times, BoT dozens of times and BWD enoguh times to be to explain all the fights by memory on my Alliance characters.

I can't even get into a raiding guild, because you need achievements so you can get a guild to get the achievements so you can have the achievements pugs and guilds ask you for.

Seriously, I've been 85 for a week, have 360 il and I'm still 0/12 and 0/7 because everyone asks for achieves.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the pugs, if you know the encounters but want to do the raid with your alt or just know how shit works, there is an addon for faking an achievement. I don't like that method though, when i try to get into a raid group with my alts, i tend to add that "I don't have the achievement on this character, but i have "bla bla bla" on my other character. Preferably something that shows that you are not completly retarded. Any half decent raid leader (Ya i know that they are rare in pugs) will know that its a ok player he is dealing with.

Lying to pug raid leaders is no issue if you ain't stupid. it won't get noticed untill the last boss is killed, if you don't fuck up or do bad dps, and then you already completed the shit, so if you did a good job, you'll get invited to the next one if you want, even though they knew you lied.

You won't get invited to every single raid you try to get in, but eventually you get in, then you get achievements.

If the situation is really that bad, my guild is about to start us some t11 for the first time maybe next week. Xavius EU, almost all good friends so looking for someone who will stick around, no time for wasters.

probably a bit offtopic but I found it hilarious... we had an ingame application an 84 rogue, and all it said was "Can i jo" ... he didnt even take the time to finish join... It has been a long while since I've really seen a solid application.
    Last edited by Docta; 2011-09-07 at 03:08 PM.