Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Problem with other MMO's

Is it just me or does every other MMO besides WoW just lack a certain... charm? It may just be my biased opinion since I've been playing WoW for so long, but I have tried a lot of other MMO's and just haven't had that same feel good playing about them. The game that came closest was probably City of Heroes, but not much else about the game was very good.

Most recently was Rift. I was stumped on which of the 6 identical looking races I should choose from at first. That's probably one of the best parts about WoW. The race variety. And then when playing the game nothing stood out as interesting visually. Or fun for that matter. The city just looked like a regular city you'd see in any other generic RPG where as the cities in WoW are all fun and complex and just... awesome?

Anyone agree with me or am I nuts?

(also: even just looking at my signature, all my characters just look like they'd be fun)

Deleted
    the only other serious MMO thats come out recently is Rift, and the problem i had with that was it was like wow, but not quite. wasnt worth quitting wow for a simmilar game, but with bland textures and graphics and clunky animations.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem that I have had with other MMOs is that they just seem to be extremely shallow. Now, that is most likely a problem on my side coupled with my history of playing the WC games. However, I always feel that I know absolutely nothing about the story line in the game other than the obvious X hates Y for Z reason and a battle ensues. I'm not even a big lore person, but I've found other games to simply not be compelling to play.

There are also mechanics and execution differences that make me slightly uncomfortable. That, of course, if just a product of having played this game forever and a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    the only other serious MMO thats come out recently is Rift, and the problem i had with that was it was like wow, but not quite. wasnt worth quitting wow for a simmilar game, but with bland textures and graphics and clunky animations.
    That's exactly how I felt about it. To a T.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huffalicious View Post
    That's exactly how I felt about it. To a T.
    SWTOR has a good chance of surviving because its different, new games need to offer something new and different to keep people playing. also they need good animations, thats the main reason i couldnt play rift or most other MMO's ive played, the animations were just so clunky and not smooth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on the bazillion forums on "This MMO is better blah blah" I thought I was the only one who still thought WoW was the best! Glad to see people still see what I see. WoW's issue isn't that it's falling apart, or living out it's time, or going to be replaced, or Blizzard hates everyone but mages---it's none of these things. The player base for WoW has simply become too large for everyone to be pleased with every decision. That doesn't change the fact that it's still one of the most fluid, complex, well balanced, and fun to play games in history.

If I went off topic I'm sorry, but yes I feel the same way as the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR has a good chance of surviving because its different, new games need to offer something new and different to keep people playing. also they need good animations, thats the main reason i couldnt play rift or most other MMO's ive played, the animations were just so clunky and not smooth.
    I'm hoping SWTOR will be able to replace WoW in my life. I need a change already!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tovarish24 View Post
    Based on the bazillion forums on "This MMO is better blah blah" I thought I was the only one who still thought WoW was the best! Glad to see people still see what I see. WoW's issue isn't that it's falling apart, or living out it's time, or going to be replaced, or Blizzard hates everyone but mages---it's none of these things. The player base for WoW has simply become too large for everyone to be pleased with every decision. That doesn't change the fact that it's still one of the most fluid, complex, well balanced, and fun to play games in history.

If I went off topic I'm sorry, but yes I feel the same way as the OP.
    blizzard can never please everyone, so when they make a change the people who dont like it post their opinions on the forums, the ones who like it dont usually post waht they think, so you only ever see negative posts on the official forums

also, i dont see why one game has to kill another, dont see why two MMO's cannot be successful at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    also, i dont see why one game has to kill another, dont see why two MMO's cannot be successful at the same time.
    I'm not saying WoW should go under. But for me, I've been playing WoW for 6+ years and I'd like to start playing something new. But everytime I do, it's just never as good as WoW. I'd really like for Star Wars to be that game though.

Ive played a ton of mmo's and I agree that WoW has something the others don't. I still take month breaks from WoW but its the only game that can keep me coming back.

I just think they got a lot of things right when they made it. One thing I love about WoW is the interface, Have you ever played a Cryptic game like StarTrek Online or Champions Online? It almost makes you wanna slash your wrists. I've played CoX, and all the other "Cryptic" games mainly because they have amazing customization but I can't stand the actual gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping SWTOR will be able to replace WoW in my life. I need a change already!
    I think it will just be more of the same really. If there's any MMO worth looking forward to it's Guild Wars 2, since that game actually does something different unlike all other MMOs I know of. SWTOR might be fun to play while waiting for GW2 though.

I think you'll find that the visuals in Guild Wars 2 aren't lacking in the same way. Many people in the GW2 thread have even complained about them being too intense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    I think it will just be more of the same really. If there's any MMO worth looking forward to it's Guild Wars 2, since that game actually does something different unlike all other MMOs I know of. SWTOR might be fun to play while waiting for GW2 though.
    I'm really looking forward to trying out GW2 as well, it's just SWTOR comes out first.

Most recently was Rift. I was stumped on which of the 6 identical looking races I should choose from at first. That's probably one of the best parts about WoW. The race variety. And then when playing the game nothing stood out as interesting visually. Or fun for that matter. The city just looked like a regular city you'd see in any other generic RPG where as the cities in WoW are all fun and complex and just... awesome?
    Want diverse character races? Go play Everquest 2. Humans to dwarves to elves to lizards to frog people to rat men to ogers, the list goes on. EQ2 definitely has the most diverse races I've seen in an MMO. Complaining about a boring city as well? Just so happens one of the best cities is in EQ2 as well Qeynos (I love that city). It's huge, and actually feels alive.

Now, the post above makes me sound like an EQ2 fanboy, which I'm definitely not. I don't even play the game, the highest I got a character was to like 40. Probably the 2nd best MMO I've played, but it's lacking that "charm" the OP is talking about to me.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

I've always like wow because i feel like I'm completely in control. effects and character control in the game is the sharpest i've ever seen in an mmo. You aren't tied down by clunky animations or anything like that. What you tell your character to do is represented 1-1 in the game.

So many mmos just don't deliver that feeling of total control, feel clunky, and make me miss the more immediate, direct pacing of WoW.

That's always been my main problem. I also like how "numbers-y" WoW is. I'm getting tired of games where the mechanics are hidden behind a veil of mystery. I guess the best way of putting it would be... I like knowing that this attack does 150% weapon damage (which is also clearly labeled) plus 321, healing you for 20% of the damage you have sustained during the preceding 5 seconds.

In so many games i've been looking at, you just don't get things like that. Everything would just say like - a strong attack that deals 2000 damage and heals you. Or stuns or immobilizes or whatever that just don't tell you enough. I don't get that feeling with WoW. And now i kind of feel rant-y

The problem with other MMOs:

they make a lesser version of wow expecting to compete with wow

Protip:

make a game different than wow and reach for the people who are displeased with wow

Deleted
    Wow is good, because there is not much to complain. It just works, so it is like magic. Animations are very smooth, and yes, even though Wow graphics aren't top notch, they really are beautiful, for example sceneries.

Still I miss certain things in Wow, like things from strategy games and rts-building of bases etc, dungeon crawling with random puzzle solving etc. But at least Wow works and has some stuff to do. There have been adventurous moments too, in Wow, even though a lot of content is now easy.
    Last edited by mmoc1b96e712e5; 2011-09-07 at 04:38 PM.

Deleted
    cos THAR CAN BE ONLY ONE!

10+ Year Old Account
    And then when playing the game nothing stood out as interesting visually. Or fun for that matter. The city just looked like a regular city you'd see in any other generic RPG where as the cities in WoW are all fun and complex and just... awesome?
    I'm really looking forward to trying out GW2 as well
    Well if you like epic cities, GW2 delivers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Well if you like epic cities, GW2 delivers

Now THAT'S a city!