Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unlimited Internet?? What the!

Hey guys,
    So the last 7months iv had unlimited internet, usually im 40gigs but we have been getting unlimited without paying extra. It isnt slowing down or anything. This started around 22nd Feb this year when my city was hit by a large earthquake (Christchurch, New Zealand) and ever since we have had this Unlimited net.

Now people i know that have the same plan as me havnt got this. I only know (so far) 1 person who has it. We didnt get any message from our ISP.

Im thinking its some sort of bug. I can use up to 100gig a month without it changing speed. I dont want to ask my ISP why its doing this.. (because i must admit i freakin love it!) and i think they will change it. But the thing i want to know is.. When/if they find out, will i get in trouble or have to owe anything to them? I dont see a problem because its not my fault. If my plan was 80gigs a month, we would pay extra 2$ a gig. but we havnt had extra charge, only as it was 40gig. But thinking about it... if i did owe them for all this extra broadband i would owe around $980

What do you guys think.. should i just keep it quite?

And yea, sorry but im not telling you what company it is.. doesnt seem right

Thanks

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    ISP's job to regulate their plans and bill their customers. They can't come back later and say "hey we messed up so you owe us X amount of money".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    ISP's job to regulate their plans and bill their customers. They can't come back later and say "hey we messed up so you owe us X amount of money".
    that probably wont stop them from doing that.

Deleted
    i've googled some of this. i found out that your ISP is compass communications. much more i didn't find.

Deleted
    not sure what the laws are in your country, it maybe worth speaking to someone in a department like the UK's trading standards that can give you a definitive answer.
    However I wouldn't be surprised if they turned round and said that you may be liable for the costs. after all you are on a contract for one amount but using way more, if and when the isp finds out I would be prepared for a bill for the extra you have used as you have broken the contract.

Depending on ISP they actually can do that. Its all down to the T&C's so its best check and read them to answer your question. Take what anyone else says on here with a pinch of salt. If you are genuinly still worried after reading up then maybe either ask for advice from someone that actually knows what they are talking about (someone you know for a fact deals with ISP's, not people on a gaming forum who you dont know) or stop using and contact your isp for clarafication.
    Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    i've googled some of this. i found out that your ISP is compass communications. much more i didn't find.
    what?
    /10chars

Well, it depends on what is in your contract. If you usually would have to pay for data above 40Gb, than you should expect a huge bill. If it should merely slow down after 40Gb, than you are off the hook.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    that probably wont stop them from doing that.
    One can still claim to be ignorant of this happening, and thus not able to actively take advantage of it. One can just say "Well, I was surfing like usual, but it just seemed more fluid. I thought it was an effect of better hardwareoptimisation from the Browser".

While I don't approve of stealing (which this technically is, unless they just upgraded your service plan arbitrarily and forgot to mention it to you), I don't approve of non-agreed fees either.

10+ Year Old Account
    ofc they are going to charge you for all the extra data, its just a matter of time, until they realize it, its probably some bug in their system and once fixed im pretty sure they are going to charge you every single penny they can. If i where you i would stick to your data allowance from now on, and try to talk your way out of the extra charges, but if you keep using it, im pretty sure they wont even listen to you.
    “The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church”

-Ferdinand Magellan (1480 – 1521)

40gigs? Serious?

I'd be capped like every other month -.-

Internet on my phone has a limit until it slows down but I never use it that much.

you could always say you were not informed about this.
    Last edited by Thes; 2011-09-07 at 03:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpalmo View Post
    what?
    /10chars
    it's the only ISP in NZ that has 40 and 80 GB download plans. all others are 5 GB or something like that.

Yes they can.

Despite last night claiming I've never had a problem with BT, before I upgraded to the unlimited Infinity package I went over my limit every month for 5 months, but wasn't made aware of it until 8 months later when I was hit for a bill of £280 on top of my usual monthly bill.

ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

Wow and ur over by 60gigs? what are u downloading BluRay movies? and video games? I can never hit that even with streaming netflix movies to watch. But if you were asking about are u liable for the usages? more than likely you will be.

wow, no offence but people get excited over unlimited internet? fucking ISPs, what's this world coming too.

Deleted
    In my country there is an institution, that controls electronic communication. Since 4-5 years, there can't be ISP who provides Internet through DSL or cable and gives limits.

Only on 3G Internet, yup - there are limits like 10-40 GB. On my cable (24 Mb for 20 euro) I don't have any limits, and downloaded about 300 GB just in August.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    wow, no offence but people get excited over unlimited internet? fucking ISPs, what's this world coming too.
    Many Canadiens would be thrilled over the subject. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    40GB cap? Ohman, that's my Total Download/upload in less than 4 hours.

However, OT. You should try to talk to them and "hypotethically" ask them if what you have, or don't have? Is against their rules/regulations, say you heard a "friend" that had this, or a friends friend that you don't know the name of. Yeah, they might suspect you, but if you don't want to confront them directly you could try that instead.. :P
    I registered on MMO-Champion, and all I got was this lousy signature...

TPG internet in Australia has an Unlimited plan for $69AUD/month (or was it $59?).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I've always had unlimited internet. I never get internet from a company that charge, based on usage. It's just retarded to pay a monthly fee as well as a usage fee...
    Some places don't have the option. I know here in Canada you have no choice. I was at 60GB but I was reaching my limit every month and it ended up being cheaper to pay an extra $25 per month for a 125GB limit. It sucks, but there's nothing I can do about it.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.