Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharias View Post
    Hate to say it, but go try Runescape... you described exactly what happens in Runescape there, it is a good game still, just being flash based it is lacking on graphics, and a plus its not a hotkey MMO, its a point and click.
    Yea, I played it before WoW for years and actually enjoyed it a lot. Still, it's really old now and not much has changed with it in terms of graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait for Guild Wars 2. End game is already at level 1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    OP, I'd say most of posts pointing out what is wrong with current MMO's, including your own, are spot on. Sadly, that pretty much leaves single player RPG's to your liking. If you want an interactive experience with other people social networking sites are you best bet seeing as Blizzard seems to be going in that direction and other MMO's are simply following suit.
    This is true, some single player RPGs are still pretty good and open ended, waiting for Skyrim now:P But about the current MMOs, it's a small consolation that they are failing and dying at least. Means there's a chance that some developer discovers that WoW already is filling that niche and goes for something else. At least I hope so.

I see what you mean about more sandbox, and for the most part I agree. I do like some form of leveling system though. I have played UO, and it succeeded in it's "leveling" system of having very in depth skill-ups, but other games I have played that use the same system will usually end up with the same combination of the best skills as if there was only one class in the game. I think it worked with UO because it was a very simple video game. It was filled with stuff to get/do, rather than player and monster mechanics. As MMOs evolved either the majority of customers or the programmers wanted things to be more complex, which sorta killed that form of MMO. But that's not to say that you have to stick with whats around for a fun MMO.

A lot of MMOs have tried using different mechanics in their games, but those games failed, and so no one wanted to expand on an otherwise good idea, which is kinda sad. An example of this would be FFXI. Imo, this game had hands down the best loot and class system I've ever seen in MMOs. Loot was not based on an item level, nor did the equip level directly effect its stats. There were many items you could get a low-mid level (and through camping mobs, not like purchasing it through an ingame store), and might have been the BiS for for your class. As well as plenty of items to get at end game. Not only that, but they never added new teirs with expansions or patches. So while you may have an item or two that got outdated, for the most part they wouldn't. Instead you'd end up with situational gear. The problem though, was that the monsters at end game were set up in a horrible system. a 3 hour window once a day, for a chance to have the mob you need spawn, hoping your group gets the claim on that monster, then hoping your item even drops if you are able to get the mob and kill it. I think people hated the camping so much that loot system was lost under the hatred.

Also, like I said it's class system was by far the best I've seen, as pretty simple, but I have yet to see/hear of any other game using it (excluding FFXIV which used sort of the same system, and there may be a game I havent heard of that used the same/simular system). The classes worked simular to that of most MMOs, but your one char could change to any class from their home any time they wanted to, without any penalties, and as many times as you wanted. On top of that they used a sub class system, so you were x level of class A, and half of that level in class B at the same time. Allowing for unique combinations. Granted a lot of combinations got forced into being something specific, but it would still be nice to see other MMOs playing with a simular formula, possibly combining with a talent system, and then coming up with something more polished.

Sounds like you want a sandbox mmo. There aren't many quality ones out and it doesn't look like there are many in development.

GW2 was mentioned several times as it has some of the elements that you want. You could also look at The Secret World, it has no levels and classes. Darkfall is another option for you and it's out right now. There are some other games out there that have sandbox qualities but they are pretty rough as they are developed by indie companies. Perhaps look at Fallen Earth?

Or just play some single player games that have some of those elements you want, such as The Elder Scrolls series.

you wont get a game like wow that isint like wow, now go play eve

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Not really, I tried Rift at release, it was horrible. Even at beta. You make a new character and you immediately have to start following a quest chain, you can't even get out of the start area before doing an hour of quests. And then more quests, daily events and point collection and raids -.-
    This is slightly different to my experiences with Rift (I started playing a few weeks ago).

As a Defiant I did have to follow 30 minutes worth of very linear introduction quests before I was able to go back in time and start the game proper...but from that point on, I wouldn't say I've followed a particularly linear path. I did pick up and complete quests...but they only formed the smaller percentage of how I spend my time and weren't done in any particular order. I ran from rift to rift helping with those...attacked guardian beachheads...did a bit of exploring to find crafting materials and just generally kicked around. Because I was running all over the place I was picking quests up as I went and doing the interesting/nearby ones - I ended up in Meridian just because I happened to be there chasing a squadron of invaders...not because a quest sent me there.

When I felt like I was getting too powerful for the first zone I looked to see if I had any quests in the second zone, I had, so off I went - if I hadn't, I'd have gone anyway...I did a few quests but I seem to have spent about 4 nights in the very first town/camp of the second zone...I've done about 5 quests there total, the rest of the time has just been...I don't even know what.

After 6 (or is it 7?) years of Warcraft, I've absolutely had it with questing...I hate it...but I'm finding Rift a lot less linear and a lot more forgiving...I think it has to be because there's a chance a player will be running all over chasing rifts and invaders. Just my thoughts anyway.