Thread: Pokémon!

Deleted
    All this Gen 4 hate makes me sad.

It had so many awesome Pokemon, Infernape, Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Skuntank, Spiritomb, Garchomp, Lucario, Hippowdon, Drapion, Toxicroak, Abomasnow, Weavile, Gliscor, Gallade, Leafeon, Glaceon, Togekiss, Yanmega, Dusknoir, Electivire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holz View Post
    All this Gen 4 hate makes me sad.

It had so many awesome Pokemon, Infernape, Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Skuntank, Spiritomb, Garchomp, Lucario, Hippowdon, Drapion, Toxicroak, Abomasnow, Weavile, Gliscor, Gallade, Leafeon, Glaceon, Togekiss, Yanmega, Dusknoir, Electivire.
    Right. But it's the same problem as Gen 3: great pokemon, mediocre story.

Like wariofan said, the snow in Sinnoh is arguably the only memorable part. I'll also add Team Galactic being pretty damn nasty and the epic climb up Mt. Coronet to stop them as the highlight of the game.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Right. But it's the same problem as Gen 3: great pokemon, mediocre story.
    So the same problem every generation has? Even gen 5's story, which seems to get a lot of praise, I found pretty bad. Ghetsis is probably the single worst villain in Pokemon history (he has no motivation, he's literally just evil for the sake of being evil).

Also, I found Unova to be the most forgettable region. Even after finishing Black 2 just a little while ago I can barely remember anything from it. All the routes seemed so small and plain, there was really nothing that compared to the Coronet - Snowpoint trek or any number of places in Hoenn (the Weather Institute route, the route with all the ash. I can't pick just one).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post
    So the same problem every generation has? Even gen 5's story, which seems to get a lot of praise, I found pretty bad. Ghetsis is probably the single worst villain in Pokemon history (he has no motivation, he's literally just evil for the sake of being evil).
    Ghetsis was absolutely forgettable in B2/W2. I was so let down by him reappearing for about 15 minutes of game time and then vanishing forever again. The first game was good because he at least maintained (poorly) his facade about liberation.

But for me, the part of Unova that has the best story was the bond between you, Cheren and Bianca in the first game. Never before did you have rivals that were real friends. Blue and Silver were punching bags with attitude, May was so ridiculously useless (4 battles in the entire game? Come on) and the blonde kid from Sinnoh ran around like Sonic the Hedgehog. Hugh is a mix of Blue and Blondie McForgettable, but at least there was the story of his sister's pokemon that didn't make him totally detestable.

Team Galactic had literally the same problem as Plasma in B2: You foil their scheme and they grumble before their entire organization just disappears, swearing revenge. At least with Team Rocket, Giovanni and Archer in HG declare that they're disbanding. Maxie and Archie apologize, turn the orbs in and then depart on a somewhat good note. Cyrus and Ghetsis throw hissy fits and we never see them again. That was the big letdown for me.

As for the scenery, I really hope we get a 3DS remake of those games. So many locales like Mt. Chimney would look great. Look at Ecruteak in Gold and then compare it to HeartGold; the difference is incredible.
    Last edited by Nadev; 2013-03-10 at 05:34 AM.
    Men!

I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unova for me has the least enjoyable routes of any game. I find myself wanting to put the game down every time i start playing again just because theres nothing particularly interesting in any of them. The biggest reason for this i think is because they put too much effort into making some of the zones post-elite four. This is the biggest issue i have with both the original versions and the sequels. Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver did post-game stuff right, and had enough content in the pre-elite four to balance it all out.

My only real issues with Gen 4 are how poor type allocation was til Platinum (to the point where flint had IIRC one fire type pokemon, and 4 non-fire types as a fire elite four member) and how many pokemon (legendaries in particular) werent obtainable without far too much effort.

---------- Post added 2013-03-10 at 01:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    But for me, the part of Unova that has the best story was the bond between you, Cheren and Bianca in the first game.
    I hated Bianca, i always felt so bad destoying her team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unova for me has the least enjoyable routes of any game. I find myself wanting to put the game down every time i start playing again just because theres nothing particularly interesting in any of them. The biggest reason for this i think is because they put too much effort into making some of the zones post-elite four. This is the biggest issue i have with both the original versions and the sequels. Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver did post-game stuff right, and had enough content in the pre-elite four to balance it all out.
    I dunno, I like the eastern half, especially the areas around Undella Town. It was bad in the first game because it was really there for no good reason besides to beat your head against the wall grinding level 50-something Bug pokemon to get to the Elite Four. At least in B2 they incorporated it into the story line.

My only real issues with Gen 4 are how poor type allocation was til Platinum (to the point where flint had IIRC one fire type pokemon, and 4 non-fire types as a fire elite four member) and how many pokemon (legendaries in particular) werent obtainable without far too much effort.
    Flint had a Rapidash and an Infernape: the only two non-legendary fire types in the entire fucking Sinnoh dex.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by Davendwarf View Post
    Flint had a Rapidash and an Infernape: the only two non-legendary fire types in the entire fucking Sinnoh dex.
    I'm fairly certain Magmortar is in the Sinnoh Dex too, right? It was literally the only non-starter and non-legendary Fire Pokémon introduced in Gen IV, and it still relied on a Gen I Pokémon and trading before you can obtain it. Gen IV really fucked up with Fire Pokémon, or Pokémon designs in general if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duruka View Post

Also, I found Unova to be the most forgettable region. Even after finishing Black 2 just a little while ago I can barely remember anything from it. All the routes seemed so small and plain, there was really nothing that compared to the Coronet - Snowpoint trek or any number of places in Hoenn (the Weather Institute route, the route with all the ash. I can't pick just one).
    Even though it is way too linear and you can only catch Gen V Pokémon there I still like Unova, places like Dragonspiral Tower and Castelia City are pretty damn memorable if you ask me. It's gotta be my 3rd favorite region, with Sinnoh and Hoenn being under it. Hoenn lacked coordination, it never pointed you to the places you needed to go, and it was just all over the place, there does exist such a thing as being too non-linear. Johto and Kanto remain my favorite regions, because they have big midway points that would lead to many different routes, they have just the right amount of water (unlike Hoenn which had waaaay too much), they have their fair share of memorable locations, and they had a nice flow between being linear and non-linear. My only gripe with Kanto is that it has way too many damn Poison-type trainers, there's literally Koffings every-fucking-where.

And since we're talking story, Pokémon has never had any great stories. Sure Black & White got on the right track, but it isn't anything spectacular like most people make it out to be, N was nothing more than a simple pretty boy anime creepo, and Ghetsis was just a generic bad guy in a fancy dress. Black & White 2 was just lame, I couldn't get invested in the story at all, and I simply couldn't stand my rival, he was piss ass annoying. Still better than over-the-top stories like in Gen IV where we're on the brink of extinction, I mean, give me a fucking break, this is fucking Pokémon, we don't need to have the whole world at risk. On top of that we're introduced to shit like the Distortion World and a fucking God Pokémon, jeez. Part of why I like Pokémon is because it simply sets you out from a small village to become the best trainer, it's that simply, I don't need to save the whole fucking world in the process, let other game heroes deal with that. Black and White did well at making the story the central point of the game, and not becoming the champion, which is why the game ends when the story does, where as the other games simply try to mash a story in-between becoming the champion, and that doesn't always work as well as it should.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-03-10 at 10:04 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    and how many pokemon (legendaries in particular) werent obtainable without far too much effort.
    That was good. Legendaries should be hard to obtain, they're fucking Legandaries. In B2/W2 for example it's way too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Even though it is way too linear and you can only catch Gen V Pokémon there I still like Unova, places like Dragonspiral Tower and Castelia City are pretty damn memorable if you ask me. It's gotta be my 3rd favorite region, with Sinnoh and Hoenn being under it. Hoenn lacked coordination, it never pointed you to the places you needed to go, and it was just all over the place, there does exist such a thing as being too non-linear. Johto and Kanto remain my favorite regions, because they have big midway points that would lead to many different routes, they have just the right amount of water (unlike Hoenn which had waaaay too much), they have their fair share of memorable locations, and they had a nice flow between being linear and non-linear. My only gripe with Kanto is that it has way too many damn Poison-type trainers, there's literally Koffings every-fucking-where.
    Hoenn and Sinnoh are my two favourite regions. I liked that they were less linear and had more variation in the scenery. Unova would be in dead last.
    To each their own I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain Magmortar is in the Sinnoh Dex too, right? It was literally the only non-starter and non-legendary Fire Pokémon introduced in Gen IV, and it still relied on a Gen I Pokémon and trading before you can obtain it. Gen IV really fucked up with Fire Pokémon, or Pokémon designs in general if you ask me.
    Magmortar wasn't in the pre-game Pokedex. Flint's team in Diamond and Pearl was Rapidash, Lopunny, Steelix, Drifblim and Infernape. They could have at least picked pokemon that looked like Fire types
    Men!

My only problem with the latest pokemon games is the fact that trainers weren't very hard to beat and that your rival was fucking worthless. I want a rival like kanto's rival and silver/gold where you actually fought like rivals did and not some friend who only battles you like 5times the whole damn game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleachroxs View Post
    My only problem with the latest pokemon games is the fact that trainers weren't very hard to beat and that your rival was fucking worthless. I want a rival like kanto's rival and silver/gold where you actually fought like rivals did and not some friend who only battles you like 5times the whole damn game
    The Trainers not very hard? Have you done ANYTHING in Black2/White2 after beating the Elite 4 the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleachroxs View Post
    I don't really find the mass of Koffing trainers hard in 1st gen either, if anything trainers have only gotten harder with time. I strongly agree on the rival part though, I hate being friends with my rival, your rival in Red/Blue was intentionally a proud douchebag, and the one in Gold/Silver was literally hostile towards you. The only rivals since I really loved to beat the shit out of was the one in Pearl and Black 2, and that wasn't for rival sakes, more because I find them to be bland and annoying characters more than anything else, and I'm pretty sure that isn't how you're supposed to feel about them.

Deleted
    I don't really find the mass of Koffing trainers hard in 1st gen either, if anything trainers have only gotten harder with time. I strongly agree on the rival part though, I hate being friends with my rival, your rival in Red/Blue was intentionally a proud douchebag, and the one in Gold/Silver was literally hostile towards you. The only rivals since I really loved to beat the shit out of was the one in Pearl and Black 2, and that wasn't for rival sakes, more because I find them to be bland and annoying characters more than anything else, and I'm pretty sure that isn't how you're supposed to feel about them.
    Yeah on that part I agree as well. I hated the rival in Black2. "I'M NEVER GONNA FORGIVE YOU; BUHUHUHU"

Yeah on that part I agree as well. I hated the rival in Black2. "I'M NEVER GONNA FORGIVE YOU; BUHUHUHU"
    The thing I hate about him the most is that they're trying to make him likable, but everytime he spews something out of his mouth I just grew to hate him more and more. And for god's sake, that whole Purrloin plot was so damn stupid, I didn't care for that damn cat, especially considering it was something like 2-3 years since it got snatched, and when he finally gets it he's acting like a idiot just because it has become a Liepard, you'd think he didn't know the concept of evolution.

Deleted
    I haven't played since Gen III, what has changed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkku View Post
    I haven't played since Gen III, what has changed?
    263 New Pokemon, A ton of new moves/abilities/items. more content in the games after you bet the elite 4, more focus on the story, the game has gotten more user friendly, and it has better graphics. That's about it I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    263 New Pokemon, A ton of new moves/abilities/items. more content in the games after you bet the elite 4, more focus on the story, the game has gotten more user friendly, and it has better graphics. That's about it I think.
    In other news, Delibird still knows Present and Ditto can still only know Transform, and both of them learn nothing from levelling.

So much wasted potential...
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    In other news, Delibird still knows Present and Ditto can still only know Transform, and both of them learn nothing from levelling.

So much wasted potential...
    I don't want that ugly pink blob to be able to do anything. But Delibird could use a evolution, Farfeth'd could use one too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't want that ugly pink blob to be able to do anything. But Delibird could use a evolution, Farfeth'd could use one too.
    Not even Mirror Coat? Sludge Bomb? Harden? :3

I'm with you with Delibird and Farfetch'd, though.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1