Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    But you are being subjective, aren't you? I've had completely different experience with head-fi thus I recommended it. I do agree they tend to jump on bandwagons and every opinion is subjective. You just have to work around it same as you would if you needed info on Wow and went to mmo-champion.

Great suggestion. Would Xonar DX drive them though?

Beyerdynamics - If you must get one you should get the 250Ohm atleast version as any lower doesnt really do the money justice.
    Less Ohms means you need less power to drive them - 32 ohms = Mp3 player, onboard audio 80 - general poupace . 250 ohm = Decent amplifier ( fiio e9 or equivalent )600 Ohms = High end audio amplifiers

But you are being subjective, aren't you? I've had completely different experience with head-fi thus I recommended it. I do agree they tend to jump on bandwagons and every opinion is subjective. You just have to work around it same as you would if you needed info on Wow and went to mmo-champion.
    When I visited head-fi, the sensationalistic reviews almost got me into ordering an overpriced piece of crap that in reality didn't work too well at all. It took an audio engineer on another site to explain why and how tube amps alter the sound, how op-amp rolling makes things worse and how cheap copper cables of adequate gauge are transparent. But they don't talk about these topics on head-fi, to a point where it's prohibited. There's very little science on head-fi.

Great suggestion. Would Xonar DX drive them though?
    That's a valid concern. After googling a bit it seems Xonar DX drives the 80ohm version easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Beyerdynamics - If you must get one you should get the 250Ohm atleast version as any lower doesnt really do the money justice.
    Less Ohms means you need less power to drive them - 32 ohms = Mp3 player, onboard audio 80 - general poupace . 250 ohm = Decent amplifier ( fiio e9 or equivalent )600 Ohms = High end audio amplifiers
    Actually, the 80 ohm version of DT770 Pro sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    There's very little science on head-fi.
    I agree. Naturally when you're looking into buying some more expensive equipment it's mandatory to understand how things work. On lower levels it's just a bit less complicated I believe .

Anyways I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention Denon headphones. Those as far as I remember produce some substantiall bass as well and still sound pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
    When I visited head-fi, the sensationalistic reviews almost got me into ordering an overpriced piece of crap that in reality didn't work too well at all. It took an audio engineer on another site to explain why and how tube amps alter the sound, how op-amp rolling makes things worse and how cheap copper cables of adequate gauge are transparent. But they don't talk about these topics on head-fi, to a point where it's prohibited. There's very little science on head-fi.

That's a valid concern. After googling a bit it seems Xonar DX drives the 80ohm version easily enough.

Actually, the 80 ohm version of DT770 Pro sounds better.
    That depends on your source - the 250 and 600 will sound better if you use a better source, ofcourse.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    That depends on your source - the 250 and 600 will sound better if you use a better source, ofcourse.
    No. They simply do not sound as good.

This 250ohm version of the DT770 is essentially a worse-sounding, harder to drive brother to the 80ohm version. The midrange is more veiled by the bass, which is a bit more boomy, and the highs are harsher. They are still very good cans, and of course built like a tank, but not worth buying when you could get the better-sounding, easier to drive 80ohm version at the same price, or even less. Perhaps their only potential benefit is the coiled cord, which can make them more convenient for portable, studio, or office use.
    http://headphonereviews.org/headphon...amic/DT770-250

There are many more comparisons between the two if you search around.

Now I agree there are some very good high impedance cans out there, but in this case, the 250 ohm version is just not as good, even if properly driven. At best, they are equal, which means an additional expense for OP for no improvement in sound.

Deleted
    Here's another guy looking to upgrade his headset. I've been searching around and currently the best setup I've come across has been the Asus Xonar Xense set which comes with a quality sound card and Sennheiser PC 350 headset. After reading some dozen reviews the consensus seems to be that the sound card is not quite the best out there but still very good and even a bit overkill for the 350s but that should mean compatibility for possible future changes and even if there are better headphones out there the built-in microphone is what I need and I don't think I've come across a more appraised headset yet. Hardwarecanucks review

Now from what I've read the 350s seem to be the best headset for me out there but it is a bit of an investment as the bundle would cost me 220€. Now this is acceptable as a sound card + headset combo bought separately would add up to more than that. The games I'm mostly going to be playing are Battlefield 3 which I want to be just right and WoW for which the sound quality isn't that important but comfort is, also using it for everything else like music and movies. If anyone has an opinion of this it would be very helpful 8)

I'm running a X-fi with my Beyer Dynamics DT770. Completely happy with the setup for the past 3yrs. The DT770's are awesome for gaming/music/movies. Only complaint could be that since they are closed headphones, my ears get a little warm. I use a Zalman clip-on mic with it. I also had the Sennheiser HD555, but I promptly sold those because I didn't like hearing background noise.

Look into the DT770's, the 80 ohm version. You won't be disappointed.

So what happened? I'm looking at the AGK 242 HD's also.... matched up to a Asus Xonar Proebus.

What did you go for? I have the PC 360 and hate it coz it's too tight.