Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dead Island Weapons

I've been playing this game since yesterday and have to say I'm really impressed. One thing I've noticed however is that the weapons have 3 types of quality

1. lvl(lvl requirements to use)
    2. name(Rusted, weak, feable, etc)
    3. Name color(white,green,blue,purple,orange)

My first was and Epic(purple name) bat called "Dead Baseball bat" that was lvl 1....i was so fricken happy till i realized a few lvls later that common white weapons were better xD

Anyways, the reason I'm making this is cause I just a Hammer with orange name and was wondering, if anyone else has found these rare weapons to, and if Orange really is legendary in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I found a blue hammer so far thats all. I'm kinda bored honestly so far the most scary point was the bus stop when I had to open 500 bags. The most annoying thing so far is how quickly weapons break down I have 3/3 in blade maintenece and I stab about 9 guys and need to switch weapons cause its almost broke. I hope it picks up soon cause Resistance 3 is sitting here staring at me.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2011-09-09 at 03:33 PM.

I also got a orange hammer but im spec'd for sharp weapons so my blue axes, and blue sickle were better so i vendored it.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I found a blue hammer so far thats all. I'm kinda bored honestly so far the most scary point was the bus stop when I had to open 500 bags. The most annoying thing so far is how quickly weapons break down I have 3/3 in blade maintenece and I stab about 5 guys and need to switch weapons
    I picked the asian chick to, but i find myself using my green "Damaging Wrench" over my fully upgraded blue "Stout Sugar can knife"
    I'm thinking of remaking my character as logan and just chuck stuff at zombies xD

I've only played 20mins or so this morning, installed the game, played to see if it would run as my processor is a 2.44 not a 2.66 (but quad core), so was unsure if it would run, but it runs on high perfectly. Found some epic knuckle dusters, but stopped shortly after.

Can't wait to get on the game shortly with friends, gonna eb insane. Only down side (i know i'm only lvl 2), is that there is a lack of zombies, i had one encounter with 6 zombies and man it was fun!
    6x walkers is better then 1x walker :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    I picked the asian chick to, but i find myself using my green "Damaging Wrench" over my fully upgraded blue "Stout Sugar can knife"
    I'm thinking of remaking my character as logan and just chuck stuff at zombies xD
    I was thinking about rerolling also since 80% of the weapons are blunt but I do love jumping at a zombie and stabbing it in the face. I also got a meat cleaver and its pretty badass so far you hack limbs off and can 1 shot decapitate them.

I have found 2 orange weapons so far. Brass knuckles and a hammer. I use them sparingly.

First of all they cost the most out of everything to upgrade
    Second of all they cost the most to repair
    Third of all I have green weapons that are fully upgraded AND modified (that get buffed by talents because of that) that are better

So yeah, orange is nice and epic is nice too but truthfully, I switch weapons around every other fight because I don't want them going past 1/2 durability. A large portion of the time I'm punching and kicking anyways.

My wife stays using her two epic knives, both electrocute when she attacks.

On a different note, if you're going broke, far champagne from the hotel kitchen (zone in and out) and sell them to Svetlana (sp) out at the diamond bungalows. She gives you 100xp and a diamond for EVERY bottle of champagne... infinitely. Diamonds vendor for $1500.

I was thinking about rerolling also since 80% of the weapons are blunt but I do love jumping at a zombie and stabbing it in the face. I also got a meat cleaver and its pretty badass so far you hack limbs off and can 1 shot decapitate them.
    I like Sam because of the blunt weapons being so abundant. His extra XP for breaking bones is awesome. I just kick a fucker over then crush their arms and legs. I'm constantly 2-3 levels ahead of my wife.

I'm wanting to reroll as Purna for her 150% xp bonus on kills/assists and her party buffing fury.

I saw the talent for the jump attack bonus, but keep forgetting to try it out, mostly cause im on the pc(use to using a controller then a keyboard : /)

So today theres supposed to be a big patch to fix alot of the bugs, if it does i think im going to be playing this all weekend

Also playing as "sharp chick"
    Its true at the begining there are more blunt weapons with bigger swing range (i.e baseball bats) but later at levels 10+ you can get green machetes that you should upgrade (if they are good, money is easy to come by) and they will 1-2 shot walkers by cutting their head off.
    3/3 sharp maintenace+upgrades and machetes reach 60+ durability.
    Meat cleavers have very low durability but works great as throwing weapon as throwing doesnt degrade weapons.

2 Orange and 1 Purplz weapon so far on 16lvl (all not for my class sadly )

Quote Originally Posted by chotnik View Post
    Also playing as "sharp chick"
    Its true at the begining there are more blunt weapons with bigger swing range (i.e baseball bats) but later at levels 10+ you can get green machetes that you should upgrade (if they are good, money is easy to come by) and they will 1-2 shot walkers by cutting their head off.
    3/3 sharp maintenace+upgrades and machetes reach 60+ durability.
    Meat cleavers have very low durability but works great as throwing weapon as throwing doesnt degrade weapons.

2 Orange and 1 Purplz weapon so far on 16lvl (all not for my class sadly )
    I guess alot of people are playing the throwing weapons expert lol when i played online i only saw the gun expert. I havnt got a machete yet but i use a cleaver and a sickle and they are incredibly effective at slicing body parts off, if theres a thug i chop his arms off and lol at him. When things are running at me i just kick since it has longer range and usually knocks them down then off with there heads(or smash it in with my foot if theres no other zombies around)!

I prefer to not use actual knives because the animations feel weird to me and it doesnt slice a head off instantly because for some reason you would rather poke at them, so any knives i have i use as a throwing weapon
    Last edited by georgevonfranken; 2011-09-09 at 04:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    I haven't found anything besides green, and I agree the weapons do degrade faster. They made it that way so you feel desperate to quickly find another means of lobbing off heads.

Quote Originally Posted by redruMPanda View Post
    I haven't found anything besides green, and I agree the weapons do degrade faster. They made it that way so you feel desperate to quickly find another means of lobbing off heads.
    as the knife chick, i find kicking and punching to be very effective atleast against walkers, runners and thugs(takes forever) the punch at least acts like a blunt weapon, easily crippling them.

as the knife chick, i find kicking and punching to be very effective atleast against walkers, runners and thugs(takes forever) the punch at least acts like a blunt weapon, easily crippling them.
    Kicking and punching works awesome. We are currently in Act II and tbh, punching is less effective now. Kicking stick rocks, especially when combined with jumping. There are a lot more swarms and various types of zombies that hurt you easier, not to mention dont stay down as long and sometimes don't get knocked down easily. If it's single walkers or w/e I'll drop kick them and them punch them to death but 80% of the time in the city, it's 3 or more plus some nasty one mixed in.

The challenge of killing groups becomes exceedingly harder (fire hydrant quest in the city for example). Thugs are the least of my worries because they are slow and I just figured out how to dive backwards or to the side (thanks bulls).

Sam B is just a beast and his fury is awesome. Luckily my wife uses slicing weapons because a lot of the time the dudes head or arms just come clean off while I'm "tanking".

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Thugs are the least of my worries because they are slow and I just figured out how to dive backwards or to the side (thanks bulls).
    How do you do this or is it something you get later on? And ya Thugs i either just walk by or if im in the mood i toy with

I've been playing this game since yesterday and have to say I'm really impressed. One thing I've noticed however is that the weapons have 3 types of quality

1. lvl(lvl requirements to use)
    2. name(Rusted, weak, feable, etc)
    3. Name color(white,green,blue,purple,orange)

My first was and Epic(purple name) bat called "Dead Baseball bat" that was lvl 1....i was so fricken happy till i realized a few lvls later that common white weapons were better xD

Anyways, the reason I'm making this is cause I just a Hammer with orange name and was wondering, if anyone else has found these rare weapons to, and if Orange really is legendary in this game.
    I managed to get my hands on an orange mace called "mace"

"Legendary" items aren't so legendary with their names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    How do you do this or is it something you get later on? And ya Thugs i either just walk by or if im in the mood i toy with
    Hold a direction (other than forward) and hit jump. The first time I did it I was like "WHOA I LEAPED SIDEWAYS!" It's a sick defense move, especially against rams.

The best way to beat a thug is to kick him as he swings and you interrupt his attack. Then slice or bash one arm over and over till it breaks or cuts off. Repeat for the other arm using interrupts. Sometimes he gets mad and flails about, use this time to go nuts on his arms. Once both arms are off just kick and punch him to death but be warned he still headbutts, it just doesn't cause a knock down like his punches. Every time I fight them I hear the guy from Shaun of the Dead going "HE'S GOT AN ARM OFF".

Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2011-09-09 at 05:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I love this game. Just played it completely at once, and I just missed a few side-quests. (Yes, it took more then 22 hours and I played it at once, it was AWESOME)
    I usually had 2 Machetes, 1 Knife and 1 weapon with a huge force to break the arms of those Thugs.
    If a normal zombie comes, kick im at the right time, then attack him normaly. If you can't do enough damage, fall a bit back and kick him again when he comes at you, otherwise you'll get hit. It also helps to attack the legs.
    If you find a Katana... Upgrade it. It cuts off many arms/legs, has awesome damage (It was as strong as "The Machete" (legendary Machete), even though The Machete was 10 levels higher) and costs mediocre stamine. The downside is that it's not very durable and has a high repair cost (at least the green one I found), so you shouldn't die often, because you'll need the money. I recommend to skill higher durability and less repair costs.
    For mods, it's not that important which one you choose. Both the electricity and poison mods (and the higher ones) stun the enemy when you crit and do a ton of extra damage. They also do a bit extra damage with every normal hit.
    And pistols/machine guns... Don't use them on zombies (except suiciders maybe, only do it when they're far away, otherwise throw them do death), because you don't have THAT much ammunition.
    Molotovs are great to kill Thugs, Butchers, Rams and Drowner if you don't want to deal with them the normal way.

There was just a dead island update =O

Logging in to see if the version is different

YUP

naaaas
    Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2011-09-09 at 05:58 PM.

Deleted
    Really enjoying this game so far, i love hacking off limbs but leaving them "alive".