Page 1 of 2
LastLast

160-200 ms normal?

Normally I have around 80-120 MS (mostly 100ish) on both World and Home latency.

Is this normal? If not, how do I reduce it? I've googled how to reduce latency, but none of those solutions worked out for me.

15+ Year Old Account
    you can try a realm that is physically closer to your location

anything sub 200 is all fine unless you're doing pvp. especially if you're a caster and you're just chain casting.

Quote Originally Posted by dabros View Post
    you can try a realm that is physically closer to your location
    I have, actually.

Right now I play on an EST realm (I'm EST), and the latency is at a minimum 160. On realms that are farther away, like central or even pacific the change is only slight. I probably get 240 MS on realms like Tichondrius (which is based in california)

It seems like most people have an overall latency of only 30-80.

---------- Post added 2011-09-09 at 05:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by notbob View Post
    anything sub 200 is all fine unless you're doing pvp. especially if you're a caster and you're just chain casting.
    The only thing I do in WoW is PvP.

Depends on your location and the servers location im CET and playing on eu servers.

Home latency is 35ms and world is 55ms.

They did implement someting in the options to optimize people's connection, however ive heard if your connection is kinda on the low side it will actuly make it worse.
    Im pretty sure its under the advanced section, something about optimizing Connection speed bla bla bla. sorry i cba to log in to check xD Hope this helps.
    Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Deleted
    Yo, don't have time to translate but this reduced my ping by 90 ms in wow (had 150 now am at 40-60).

http://www.badiuth.net/forum/viewtop...048c42df3b7d00

Will translate if I remember when I get back.

EDIT: google translate does a good job for starters
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2011-09-09 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruii View Post
    Depends on your location and the servers location im CET and playing on eu servers.

Home latency is 35ms and world is 55ms.

They did implement someting in the options to optimize people's connection, however ive heard if your connection is kinda on the low side it will actuly make it worse.
    Im pretty sure its under the advanced section, something about optimizing Connection speed bla bla bla. sorry i cba to log in to check xD Hope this helps.
    I'll look into it.

15+ Year Old Account
    define EST, there is a realm center in Boston, and the other closest is Chicago, i get slightly better ping to chicago realms and i am also EST

50-60 Boston 30-40 Chicago

also download "Leatrix Latency Fix" if you don't have already

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    The best connection you can possibly have is a 3 foot ethernet cable directly into your dsl, or cable modem. That means no router involved, directly connected.

Also, depends on how updated, and well your computer is running, and if you are downloading/uploading anything on your computer at the same time you're playing wow.

If you are using a router like most of us, it will cost you a little latency, (like almost nothing but still, extra devices cause more latency), but I would say it is required if you have more than one internet device in your home. And make sure if it's a wireless router that it's fully updated (firmware), and locked securely with the highest security possible. And for gowd sakes do not turn off the SSID Broadcast. Man I hate fixing that remotely.

Nice MS, im running 30-50 Home, 100-120 World (average)
    speedtest.net local test runs at 25 ping (average), 14.5m down, 2m up (running cable service, time warner, they are like comcast, just another cable company, I actually like them a little better than comcast actually).

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why people think over 100 is high. I pvp on a sub rogue in 1800 rated arenas and its perfectly fine with 200ms. I can do less serious pvp with anything under 400 ms or pve.

define EST, there is a realm center in Boston, and the other closest is Chicago, i get slightly better ping to chicago realms.

50-60 Boston 30-40 Chicago

Chicago isn't EST, that's more central.

EST as in George, or New York.

---------- Post added 2011-09-09 at 05:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Derpdederp View Post
    I don't see why people think over 100 is high. I pvp on a sub rogue in 1800 rated arenas and its perfectly fine with 200ms. I can do less serious pvp with anything under 400 ms or pve.
    You can get 1800 rated as a rogue clicking and reforging into haste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh, reforging haste. But I was referring to the fact that you have to be behind the target which requires a proper connection smartass.

Doesn't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Also just in case you all didn't know where to find locations of the datacenters, I wanted to post this just in case, or for anyone that wanted a nice list from out buddies over at wowwiki
    http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    Also just in case you all didn't know where to find locations of the datacenters, I wanted to post this just in case, or for anyone that wanted a nice list from out buddies over at wowwiki
    http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter
    That's helpful. Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Iviker View Post
    That's helpful. Thanks.
    No problem, I know sometimes people already have links to things like that but just in case I always try to make sure in posts like this people know for sure.

Cheers!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iviker View Post
    Doesn't work.
    yes, it does.
    Last edited by dabros; 2011-09-10 at 12:31 AM.

Couldn't play with anything higher than 30ms, currently I'm sporting 15ms world/home (EU from Denmark to server in Germany). I actually get 4ms to the servers located in Sweden.

100+ sounds really bad if you take the game serious. Ofc you won't know the difference until you have tried playing with very low ms !

I have my ethernet cable connected directly into the fiber-hub in my building, so have 1ms to most things here in Denmark. But you can actually get ADSL lines here in Denmark with ~20ms to most WoW servers in EU. Sounds like you should have a talk with your ISP, though I have no idea how terrible the internet infrastructure is in USA.
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-09-09 at 11:58 PM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

15+ Year Old Account
    OP already used LLF to no avail.

@OP - are you wireless or hardwired to a modem/router?
    Who is your ISP?
    Can you provide a screenshot from speedtest.net to a server over 200 miles from your home?

Thanks

---------- Post added 2011-09-09 at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Couldn't play with anything higher than 30ms, currently I'm sporting 15ms world/home (EU from Denmark to server in Germany). I actually get 4ms to the servers located in Sweden.

100+ sounds really bad if you take the game serious. Ofc you won't know the difference until you have tried playing with very low ms !
    100 MS latency is literally .1 seconds. This is less time than an average human reaction speed, and means nothing. I play with about 80ms latency, and ofc notice a difference on anything over about 150. I'd call 160 and less ms quite normal, 160 to 400 ms "middle", above 400 high, and above 1k unplayable.

100 MS latency is literally .1 seconds. This is less time than an average human reaction speed, and means nothing. I play with about 80ms latency, and ofc notice a difference on anything over about 150. I'd call 160 and less ms quite normal, 160 to 400 ms "middle", above 400 high, and above 1k unplayable.
    Its funny how people start talking about human reaction time when speaking about latency, they have litteraly nothing to do with eachother.

Imagine if you had 0.1 second lag on the nerves inside your body, that is the way you should be thinking, trust me you could feel the difference from having 0.01 and 0.1 second. Not how fast your brain are able to react to what it see, this is not the problem here. Your brain will still notice the 0.1 second lag on everything you do ingame. I know its hard to explain but im sure some of you will know what I mean.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake