Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Minimum dps for a tank?

Ok I know this is going to sound like I am trolling or trying to start a flame war but I'm not. I want to know what is the minimum dps I should be doing as a tank in Cataclysm regular heroics (not ZA/ZG)? I had a healer go crazy because I was only doing 6k dps in HSFK. Is this really to low for a tank?

Deleted
    Healer bitching about TANK doing low dmg in "regular" heroic...
    THIS IS MADNESS!!!

OT: SFK its kinda AoE fest, so maybe you could push a lil bit more dps,
    but your job is to tank, not to top dps metters, just tell him to mind his own job, and if you had problems, because of low dps, you're not the person he should go "crazy" on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tank is not responsible for any type of DPS but holding Agro, positioning the boss, not standing in shit etc. Any healer that complains about a tanks DPS should pull their tampon out of their arse and keep healing the group end of story.

Well if you only did 6k dps on aoe packs there's a good chance you either lost aggro sometimes (making it harder on the healer) or were slowing down the group - a decent tank can usually compete with the dps on trash packs (10k dps at least)

If it's 6k on bosses that's still ok for regular heroics. (za/zg you should be closer to 10k)

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Long answer: It doesn't matter, as long as you hold aggro.

Short answer: It doesn't matter, as long as you hold aggro.

I would like to see your armory if possible. If you are only doing heroics, your DPS really does not matter, especially with the 500% threat. Now, if you are doing heroic raids, yes, it can matter (to a degree).

Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Long answer: It doesn't matter, as long as you hold aggro.

Short answer: It doesn't matter, as long as you hold aggro.
    Pretty much this. If you're holding threat who cares? If the healer is running out of mana because fights are lasting too long then thats an entirely different problem and could be a number of issues ranging from your gear, the healers gear/play, or the dps standing in shit they shouldn't be.

Armory

It was on the first boss in SFK. I'm working on replacing the pvp shoulders and the pants are the only thing that has dropped for that slot.

Ive been doing about 15-20k as blood lately in zg/za

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Ive been doing about 15-20k as blood lately in zg/za
    lol frostburn formulae and aoe fest common sense please.

Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    i meant single target but for that fight i have zanzil fire so i can do about 65k with all the moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post

Seriously? Blood really does do a lot of damage. Frostburn and aoe not required. My undergeared blood DK gets 50k DS crits.

Quote Originally Posted by Anias View Post
    Armory

It was on the first boss in SFK. I'm working on replacing the pvp shoulders and the pants are the only thing that has dropped for that slot.
    i think 6k is fine, but you should probably be able to do more.

As long as you keep aggro your dps doesn't matter that much. I think 6k is a little low for your gear level though, I can usually manage 8-10k on my 343 iLvl paladin against bosses and you should do a bit more with your gear.

Deleted
    Dont feel presured into doing good dps. It comes with time. Start off tanking, getting to know every boss inside out, how much you can pull and feel safe with it. Then you can start to factor some DPS skills (inquisition) in, it will help you hold aggro and make the dungeon go a lot faster. For single target dont start a proper rotation till you know you've got the aggro, then get a rotation going. DPS as a tank is not a problem, but i personally feel im not doing my best unless im helping speed up the dungeon. Learn paladin to the fullest, and then work on DPS (if you feel you need to).

On a side note, tank dps does matter on some fights, such as alysrazor in firelands. While its only one boss, maybe more bosses will come out with similar mechanics. Its always nice to know you can do 10k+ dps as a tank.

Tanks don't need to be doing any type of dps in heroic dungeons, it isn't at all necessary

since you have to keep aggro - I'd say 1/5 of the DPS others do (due to 5x dmg threat). .but it desn't really matter, you're supposed to survive. Your DPS is just an extra bit of help.

Deleted
    I actually get to use this in a serious situation.

Over nine thousand.

Edit: Nevermind someone beat me to it... >.>

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anias View Post
    Armory

Just as a recommendation, drop the points in GBTL and Hallowed Ground. Put one point in Reck, leave one in GBTL and put the rest in PoJ in the Ret tree. Hallowed ground is a minimal dps/threat boost for the two points.

If we're talking aoe pulls: Shield > HotR > Inq > HW > HotR > . . .

If it is a boss: DP (3x HoPo) > Wings > Exo > Shield > Judge > ShotR > CS . . . .

Both of those rotations should get you decent threat leads pending the fact that the DPS doesn't extremely outgear you.
    Last edited by Dakia; 2011-09-09 at 11:44 PM.

Since when does Tank dps matter? I could see a point in raiding, I guess, but so long as you're not losing aggro, what does it matter?