Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashcrack View Post
    TLDR; Get Adblock and No Script.
    It's funny... it seems like all the people that just say "oh just get Adblock" are also making these non-constructive posts that overall degrade the quality of the forums. So in general not only do you not care that the site loses out on some money because of you blocking ads, but you just don't seem to care about any aspect of the site or what comes out of your actions. You are just going to do what you're going to do and pay no attention of what becomes of that.

Forums really need to put a disclaimer on the account creation screen stating that "forums are not picture books and there is reading involved," but nobody would probably read it. Just like Ashcrack here probably didn't even notice that 2-3 people had already posted pretty much the exact thing he just said, yet he feels the need to post saying that he didn't read it, and restate the same solution again. At least he didn't just quote the first reply and just go "^^".

With that aside, everyone seems to have missed the point of this entire post. It was posted in the suggestions and feedback section for a reason. I am giving them feedback on the ads they have chosen on their site, and overall help them cater better to their users. This post was a suggestion to begin with... it wasn't even a question asking "how do I get rid of these ads?" I am just trying to inform them that the ads they are choosing to use aren't the most "user friendly" and gave some other input (other than just removing them) that could help them and hope they see I am trying to be reasonable to see if the issue can be resolved before I have to go block the ads myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noremac View Post
    It's funny... it seems like all the people that just say "oh just get Adblock" are also making these non-constructive posts that overall degrade the quality of the forums. So in general not only do you not care that the site loses out on some money because of you blocking ads, but you just don't seem to care about any aspect of the site or what comes out of your actions. You are just going to do what you're going to do and pay no attention of what becomes of that.

Forums really need to put a disclaimer on the account creation screen stating that "forums are not picture books and there is reading involved," but nobody would probably read it. Just like Ashcrack here probably didn't even notice that 2-3 people had already posted pretty much the exact thing he just said, yet he feels the need to post saying that he didn't read it, and restate the same solution again. At least he didn't just quote the first reply and just go "^^".

With that aside, everyone seems to have missed the point of this entire post. It was posted in the suggestions and feedback section for a reason. I am giving them feedback on the ads they have chosen on their site, and overall help them cater better to their users. This post was a suggestion to begin with... it wasn't even a question asking "how do I get rid of these ads?" I am just trying to inform them that the ads they are choosing to use aren't the most "user friendly" and gave some other input (other than just removing them) that could help them and hope they see I am trying to be reasonable to see if the issue can be resolved before I have to go block the ads myself.
    Dangerous territory, using logic while looking at the Kool-Aid as a viable option.

Somthing, somthing, DARKSIDE!!

Get add block and if you care about the site donate money if you can, if you can't then qq lifes a biatch. Thats what I do with sc2 streams/tournys never see the adds but donate some money were I can if I like what I see.

Folks sites like this and other make money from advertising. Its a fact of life just like the tv channels etc.

We're technically entitled to nothing except our choice to patronize a site(unless we make ourselves no longer welcome to).

That said, this site does a reasonably good job of dealing with the more annoying ads that slip through or ones that are a conflict of interest(like when I reported that a gold/account seller had gotten through a while back.

Deleted
    I agree with you OP. It's a shame that four paragraphs are too long for some people though, so they never got to read the end part where you said you didn't want to install an ad-blocker.

Personally, I ad-block depending on the website. Sites such as this one, wowhead and streams etc I disable my adblock for, especially since wowhead actually has a message where the ads normally would be, asking you to disable an adblocker.

With your actual problem though, don't leave so many tabs up at once? That's the only way to solve it really, since I don't think many websites have enough control over the ads to stop certain ones unless they had a good reason (gold selling ads for example).

Deleted
    I am not complaining about ads in general just the flash ones with the sound cranked up 500% and nearly blow out my eardrums. I wouldn't care if 99% of my screen was covered in normal banner ads as long as it doesn't disrupt me when doing something else other than being actively on the site.

I'm sure if you had to keep up your own website and wanted some help via ad revenue you would see how annoying it is to have potential money lost by people blocking ads.
    Hi! I am an Online Marketing Manager for an Internet business working with PPC Campaigns (somebody clicks = $). I would like to note that 90% of Websites use Google Ad Sense. This means that those Websites are automatically assigned Ads by Advertisers (like me) to be published on the Websites (the Publisher). This 90% MAY NOT CONTAIN (blocked by Google) auto activation Ads, Sound that goes of by itself etcetera. What you actually see where Sound goes of are Publishing networks working with an agency having none of these restrictions on ads. These ads are nearly all performance based not only clicks but leads (You click and take an action on the landing page , like a registration). Therefore as an insider I would strongly recommend you to Click on annoying shit and exit the site asap. This shows up as a Click and produces a high rate of exit (this is gauged by the number of navigational steps the user takes on your site and the number of seconds onsite). Therefore if you hate an ad click it and leave the site, in the case of a lead campaing the Publisher (who only gets paid for a certain "Action" on the site agreed upon with the advertiser) says "Man this ad sucks monkeyballs let´s not do this shit anymore" or in the case of a click campaign the Advertiser says "Man this ad does not convert users this sucks monkeyballs". In either case they will desist from this tactic or lose tons of money (this can rack up to 10k+ really fast on "small" campaigns.

So dear Internet Users help control the ads, you actually got the power! Adblock does shit for the statistics

Well really annoying and loud adds I meet only on polish portals and hell ye they are annoying as hell! On most popular sites I get whole screen covered and gotta close that, worst are the ones that are huge as hell and slide (at times there are issues with closing em). This never happens to me on non polish sites (theyre muted by default) .
    In general I dont mind adds if they dont overwhelm you on the site.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    If people weren't so greedy we'd not be fighting back. Greed is bad, and these companies never learn.
    The ad issue really isn't about people being greedy though. It is about people being fucking horrible at their jobs. Whoever designed and programmed the ads that are incredibly loud compared to everything else going on, on tv, the internet, and radio are just idiots. I have never once thought Gee I should buy this product . Nope, every time I hear one of those ads I go christ this is loud and turn it off or down. Same goes for those stupid advertisements that pop stuff out across the screen. Whats the point except to try and get a few unwilling clicks? Aside from that it is pure annoyance, not good advertising. A good advert sells the product without being intrusive or offensive. It makes you more interested by in its being less flashy. Simple is always better. I'd haven no problem viewing ads if they were like looking at an ad in a newspaper, but as long as it feels like I stepped into a techno club every time I load a website with strobing ads and shit flying everywhere, I will continue to block them.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The ad issue really isn't about people being greedy though. It is about people being fucking horrible at their jobs. Whoever designed and programmed the ads that are incredibly loud compared to everything else going on, on tv, the internet, and radio are just idiots. I have never once thought Gee I should buy this product . Nope, every time I hear one of those ads I go christ this is loud and turn it off or down. Same goes for those stupid advertisements that pop stuff out across the screen. Whats the point except to try and get a few unwilling clicks? Aside from that it is pure annoyance, not good advertising. A good advert sells the product without being intrusive or offensive. It makes you more interested by in its being less flashy. Simple is always better. I'd haven no problem viewing ads if they were like looking at an ad in a newspaper, but as long as it feels like I stepped into a techno club every time I load a website with strobing ads and shit flying everywhere, I will continue to block them.
    This is pretty much how I feel, honestly... at least as regards having ads on the page. I still never use them, but the vast majority of pages I have bookmarked or go to regularly I allow ads on. I do run ad-block and noscript, but selectively disable them for sites I frequent more than once or twice.

I go back and forth with allowing ads on this site. I feel bad about doing so, but inevitably there are ads that annoy me enough that I just turn it back on again.

(I'd estimate about a 50% uptime on ads for my views of the site.... I'm actually about to turn them back on again, we'll see how long it lasts this time.)

Ads simply arent often loading as quickly as you make them out to be.
    I often have to wait longer for ads to load than the rest of the page I am trying to view.
    I reserve my right to blocks ads I feel are negatively impacting on the ability to use or read the website which they are on.
    When there is real thought as to their impact beforehand and effort to ensure that they are not a hinderance then people will not have a need for ad-blockers.
    Unfortunatly that is something out of the hands of many websites due to the 3rd party providers, and that is where the changes need to occur first.

10+ Year Old Account
    True reason i dont like adds nowdays are longer site loading times (with very good internet). Gogle just cant handle everything and its good to get some things blocked to increase performance (and also less viruses).
    Don't sweat the details!!!

wierd, i never have any pop up adds from here, or any ads with sound from here
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    I on occasion take a dump in the shower so I don't have to wipe but never pee in there. That is just gross!

Deleted
    I'm using adblock on chrome but theres quite few ads that go thro still. Maybe its just inferior adblock? Also it would be odd for google to approve adblock to their own browser when their own ads bring lot of money to them or so forth.
    Ive been using adblock for years but sadly theres still stuff that goes thro its not perfect.

However, what annoys me on MMO champ ads is that it crashes flash from time to time from some ad I have no idea about (because it crashes).

Oh and its generally good idea to report these ads to admins of any website this occurs as they can block those ads like they can block gold selling ads
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2011-09-10 at 03:04 PM.

The adds that blare noise after like 20 minutes on a page IS very annoying, and I agree a good fix is AdBlocker, but I dont have it and don't want it. I just hit f5 real fast lol

brb [posessive noun] [noun] [verb] [preposition] [article] [noun]

You do understand that ad blockers do hurt the website revenue when it comes to some types of PPV (pay per view) ads right? I am not big into the whole internet advertising scene and I don't expect many people are unless they run their own site and see these things firsthand, so I am not sure what types of ads they use. PPC (pay per click) ads obviously wouldn't matter either way because I would most likely not click them if they were there or blocked.

I just am trying to find a way to get the issue resolved without me having to take a chip out of their earnings.

On a side note you do know that some sites administer some content in a way that it will actually get blocked by ad blockers? They do so to deter people from using a blocker on their site so they get their advertising revenue. So by using an ad blocker on some sites you may actually be missing some content and not even realize it.
    You make it sounds like I'm stealing from the site by not viewing their ads. Well I'm voting with ad-block because I'm being honest with the advertisers to let them know that I will not buy from them based on ads on websites. The website might suffer, but if anything I'm being MORE honest with the actual people paying for the site, the advertisers. If too many people are using ad-block then the website needs to find a different revenue stream.

This is just like selling cookies and crap at school. I would much rather have the school just come out and ask me for money and have them get 100% then have me buy some overpriced crappy food so they can get a small cut.

That's why I have no moral problem against ad-block. It's not my responsibility to make your business viable. If you want me to pay for your content then give me a fair price and I'll decide if I want it or not. If not then any content that is blocked as a result is simply making your site potentially less appealing to me by having less content. I understand the reason sites need advertising and the like and I'm not against them using ads as a revenue stream, but that doesn't mean I have to participate. Sites that totally block because I have an ad-blocker I don't go to or if I feel its worth it I'll disable the ad-blocker for that site.

10+ Year Old Account
    So.. im essentially a thief for not wanting to view ads?
    I had this bad experience at wowhead. I decided to remove them from Adblock to help them, well bad idea.

For my zone, there was this really annoying song that it was famous amongst idiots, so they made TV ads for it, "send the word ANYWORD to 10100 to get this famous song on your cellphone"
    To my surprise, the same song pop up for me in any sites that i visited that had google ads, adblock was the solution.

So i reported the ad to wowhead developers, since they said that they would remove any sound ads from the site. Well 1 month later and each time i loaded the site, i had that horrible song pop up.
    Finally i adblocked them and never looked back.

If a site really needs my money that bad, ask for a donation, dont try to make me look like a thief for not wanting to look/hear annoying ads.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never had a problem with ads and I haven't updated adblock plus for months.

I don't know if your ads are based on region, but you really can't go wrong with installing adblock plus (assuming that you are using firefox, if not too bad for you).

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Several people have said very important things with regards to ads through out this thread.

It's the advertiser's fault for making obnoxious ad's that blare music, sound effects, or someone talking at you when you least expect it, or don't want it. It's the same in TV, and on the radio with increased volume. Part of the problem is the advertisers are idiots, another part of the problem is the medium for these ads are reaching fewer and fewer customers. Television has to compete with hulu, and DVR, Movies have to compete with On Demand, or pray people get to the movie 20 minutes before it stars, Radio has to compete with Pandora, and MP3 programs, such as iTunes. And now the internet has to deal with Ad Blockers.

The advertisers think that combating the diminished audience is to make more obnoxious ads, that help push people away from their selected medium, and cause an additional reduction in revenue. I REALLY don't see it stopping.

I'm all for supporting sites that I frequent, but MMO-Champion (as an example) has ads (or at least had ads) on the weekend promoting Rift, SWTOR, or another game, that reduced the overall viewing field of the site. It detracts from the content in my opinion. Another thing that detracts was the constant refreshing of some of my devices due to the ads themselves refreshing. On something like a cell phone, the forums/site isn't friendly anyway, and reloading every 15 seconds is annoying as hell (as is hitting stop every 15 seconds to stop the reload).

I use Adblocker, and I do not feel guilty using it. Give me an option to support a site another way, either through donations, or subscription. Maybe, just maybe the site will still make enough to stay afloat, and it's visitors would be happier.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just an FYI, ads with sound that play without user intervention, flash ads that take up half the screen, and things like that aren't wanted on MMO Champ and should be reported.

Take a gander at this thread for details: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...orting-bad-ads

Deleted
    I'll continue to use my noscript/adblocker as long as the internet is full of pop-ups, ads with blinking stars, obnoxious music talking or just loud noises, animations and anything else that's obnoxious and intrusive. Sites that I frequently use will get white listed if they can stick to simple static banners.