10+ Year Old Account

Dead Island Crashing my PC

Hey MMO-C I am having trouble with dead Island freezing then my PC shutting down immediately after.

I can't get past the intro level. I am fairly confident it is not my PC, but i cannot be sure that is why I came to ask. I have a GTX560Ti and an AMD Phenom X4 3.00Ghz, with plenty of cooling ( 3x 120mm 1x 200m). It seems like it is overheating my GPU (at any graphics level) as the fan speed seems to go stupidly high then it cuts out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I posted this in the computer section as it seems like a PC problem/game problem and it seemed more logical to post it here.

Edit: I have no problem on any other games with overheating, most recently Deus Ex: HR, Witcher 2, Crysis 2.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. Make sure you don't have the dev version that was accidentally pushed to Steam. If you can press "Y" in game and fly, you have the dev version.
    2. What temp is your GPU hitting?
    3. Have you updated drivers recently? If not, try new ones. If so, try older ones.

I answered you in the video game forums but in case you didn't see it, here is what you do to make your fan not bust a nut playing dead island.

Go to c:>users>you>docs>dead island>out>settings and find the video.scr file.
    Open Notepad.
    Drag the video.scr file into notepad.
    The bottom paragraph settings is what you want to adjust.
    You can also pimp up the graphics a bit if you want. I'll just list what I have on mine, you adjust accordingly. (I use a i7 2600K, 8g, 2 Nvidia 570 sli).

Resolution(1920,1080)
    Monitor(0)
    BPP(24)
    FSAA(16)
    TexBPP(32)
    TextureQuality("High")
    Filtering("AnisotropicTrilinear")
    Fullscreen()
    VSync()
    Shadows("High")
    ShadowMapSize(2048)
    SpotShadowMapSize(4096)
    Lightmaps()
    GammaFloat(1.08)
    MaxRefresh(60)
    MaterialQuality(1)
    FXQuality(4)
    FXFadeLevel(0)
    WaterQuality(0)
    GrassQuality(0)
    EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
    ShaderPath(5)
    DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)
    PostProcess("Normal")

The important parts to note, for you, is the addition of VSync and PostProcess. While before, neither of these options were in game. You don't have to change any other settings to match mine but to stop the rampant spin up of your GPU fan you need to add VSync. Apparently there is no FPS cap in this game so at times you can get over 200-300 fps and this is what is causing the spin up (according to steam forums). I added VSync and I have yet to have my fan spool above 75% or my temp go about 68c.

Hope that helps you and you get to enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    1. Make sure you don't have the dev version that was accidentally pushed to Steam. If you can press "Y" in game and fly, you have the dev version.
    The ability to noclip was hotfixed out of v1.0.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Hence my statement that if you can't noclip, you don't have the dev version.

Apparently there is no FPS cap in this game so at times you can get over 200-300 fps and this is what is causing the spin up (according to steam forums).
    You'd think that by now developers would know better. How many games that came out recently have done this? SC2 and WoW's login screen come to mind immediately.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-09-10 at 05:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I answered you in the video game forums but in case you didn't see it, here is what you do to make your fan not bust a nut playing dead island.

Go to c:>users>you>docs>dead island>out>settings and find the video.scr file.
    Open Notepad.
    Drag the video.scr file into notepad.
    The bottom paragraph settings is what you want to adjust.
    You can also pimp up the graphics a bit if you want. I'll just list what I have on mine, you adjust accordingly. (I use a i7 2600K, 8g, 2 Nvidia 570 sli).

Resolution(1920,1080)
    Monitor(0)
    BPP(24)
    FSAA(16)
    TexBPP(32)
    TextureQuality("High")
    Filtering("AnisotropicTrilinear")
    Fullscreen()
    VSync()
    Shadows("High")
    ShadowMapSize(2048)
    SpotShadowMapSize(4096)
    Lightmaps()
    GammaFloat(1.08)
    MaxRefresh(60)
    MaterialQuality(1)
    FXQuality(4)
    FXFadeLevel(0)
    WaterQuality(0)
    GrassQuality(0)
    EnvQuality("FullDynamic")
    ShaderPath(5)
    DisplayDeviceType(0,0.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000)
    PostProcess("Normal")

The important parts to note, for you, is the addition of VSync and PostProcess. While before, neither of these options were in game. You don't have to change any other settings to match mine but to stop the rampant spin up of your GPU fan you need to add VSync. Apparently there is no FPS cap in this game so at times you can get over 200-300 fps and this is what is causing the spin up (according to steam forums). I added VSync and I have yet to have my fan spool above 75% or my temp go about 68c.

Hope that helps you and you get to enjoy the game.

Right I have done that, give me 10-20 mins play time and I will get back to you.

---------- Post added 2011-09-10 at 06:25 PM ----------

My fans are getting to about 75% at its loudest and my the temp is 76c at peak. Is that bad?
    Last edited by Blackspur; 2011-09-10 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Hence my statement that if you can't noclip, you don't have the dev version.
    Wrong bra. You could still have the dev 1.0 version of the game.

The game released with v1.0 on steam.
    Two hours later they did a 48mb patch that took out noclip and 3rd person view. The version was still the dev 1.0.
    Up until yesterday the version everyone had was the dev v1.0. We now have 1.2 release.

So, if his steam hasn't updated him to v1.2 for whatever reason, he would still have the dev version of the game, minus noclip. My point in replying to your one thing specifically was, checking your version type by hitting Y for noclip is pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    My game is no longer crashing, but My temps are getting to worryingly high (to me) temps. Like 81c at its peak.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP i had the same problem till I uninstalled it, re-downloaded and re-installed it then it worked, it was crashing right when I had to run for the maintenance room aka the staircase cut-scene where you get knocked out by a zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    My game is no longer crashing, but My temps are getting to worryingly high (to me) temps. Like 81c at its peak.
    I'm not a professional at adjusting that shit so i can't give you 100% accurate help. I googled 81c for a 560ti and people say that's ok as long as that's under load. I would say use something like afterburner to tweak your fan speed up a bit and maybe bring the temp down into the highish 70's. I've had my cards reach 75c at the max during playing yesterday but it wasn't sustained. So just tweak your fan if you feel comfortable with doing that. If not, rock it and monitor the temp for an hour or so and if it creeps, try the fan thing or wait for a driver update from nvidia.

Remember your card shuts down when it hits a certain temp (100c or so I think) so I dont think you can burn it up on accident unless you forcefully run the game over and over keeping it up at shut down temps.
    Last edited by JustintimeSS; 2011-09-10 at 05:44 PM.

bump
    every time i edit the video file and load the game i exit the game to check back up on the video file and it reverted back to the way it was

is this something i have to do every time i play the game? or did it even change in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreenbeast View Post
    bump
    every time i edit the video file and load the game i exit the game to check back up on the video file and it reverted back to the way it was

is this something i have to do every time i play the game? or did it even change in the first place?
    After you make your changes to the video file, save it. Right click the file and click Properties then make it Read Only. Apply, and it'll never revert again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    After you make your changes to the video file, save it. Right click the file and click Properties then make it Read Only. Apply, and it'll never revert again.
    thanks i'll get back to this thread and keep an eye on it if doesn't work

It's going to kill me to say this but, I torrented Dead Island to see how it's like and then buy it after if I liked it (For online use and to play with friends etc). I enjoyed it until I got to around the 20 minute mark when my computer shut down.
    I found this thread, and then read the solution, according to everyone, that works. But I cannot find the 'dead island>out>settings and find the video.scr file.'

How else can I fix this, or where else may I find this file?

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerpPeanuts View Post
    It's going to kill me to say this but, I torrented Dead Island to see how it's like and then buy it after if I liked it (For online use and to play with friends etc). I enjoyed it until I got to around the 20 minute mark when my computer shut down.
    I found this thread, and then read the solution, according to everyone, that works. But I cannot find the 'dead island>out>settings and find the video.scr file.'

How else can I fix this, or where else may I find this file?
    With the Extended Demo, you'll need to go into your Dead Island directory, then there will be a directory within that called DI, go in there, then go to out>Settings

I had my pc oc'd and playing this game was only crashing my pc. I just went back to my retail proc speed and everything is normal now, I hope this helps.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    With the Extended Demo, you'll need to go into your Dead Island directory, then there will be a directory within that called DI, go in there, then go to out>Settings
    I torrented the game, I don't have the extended demo. When I go into that file, I only have 'save' and 'profile'

If I download the demo, and then extract the settings file into my torrented game directory, will it still work? My torrented version is fully updated.

EDIT

I have no idea where I can find the demo either. Do you think you could upload the file somewhere? :3
    Last edited by HerpDerpPeanuts; 2011-09-17 at 12:52 PM.

Still does the trick

Eight years later and JustintimeSS saved me with those scr tweaks. Fans are quiet and no more crashes!