Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Well like I said I basically wont be sharing it for anything, Just using it for the internet.
    Same would be doable with firewall/router. It depends mostly on how much privacy you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just read that I am not allowed to use Switches, a-s it can 'Interfere' with the network. Sadface.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Anything about routers?
    "•Wireless Network Devices (Routers, Access Points).
    • Network Components (Switches, Hubs, Routers). "

I assume there are no alternatives.
    Last edited by Blackspur; 2011-09-11 at 12:49 AM.

"•Wireless Network Devices (Routers, Access Points).
    • Network Components (Switches, Hubs, Routers). "

I assume there are no alternatives.
    Damn guess you'll have to settle for 1 device hooked up at a time.
    But to be honest i'm not sure they're monitoring how many IP's are being delegated on your string =) So, you could be naughty and just get that switch.
    Unless they ofc have one of those systems where you have to log on to get an IP.
    You could also get an extra NIC for your pc and use that as a pass-trough, but then again thats mostly semantics.
    Last edited by Chronius; 2011-09-11 at 02:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    Damn guess you'll have to settle for 1 device hooked up at a time.
    But to be honest i'm not sure they're monitoring how many IP's are being delegated on your string =) So, you could be naughty and just get that switch.
    Unless they ofc have one of those systems where you have to log on to get an IP.
    You could also get an extra NIC for your pc and use that as a pass-trough, but then again thats mostly semantics.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=1597&subcat= ? Also much cheaper than a switch, will that work no matter?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=1597&subcat= ? Also much cheaper than a switch, will that work no matter?
    I honestly can't say, there a multiple ways for them to control their network.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronius View Post
    I honestly can't say, there a multiple ways for them to control their network.
    Well even if it doesn't work £6 is a drop in the ocean.

You would still need a switch though. Because what you'd be doing is turning your computer into a gateway for your 360 and PS3, so you'd still need something with a few ports to throw on that side of the computer. But again, same thing as a router. Maybe ask the IT people about your situation and what can be done. Because a switch doesn't really do anything to them, but ask anyways.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    You would still need a switch though. Because what you'd be doing is turning your computer into a gateway for your 360 and PS3, so you'd still need something with a few ports to throw on that side of the computer. But again, same thing as a router. Maybe ask the IT people about your situation and what can be done. Because a switch doesn't really do anything to them, but ask anyways.
    I only need one additional port really as I will only have either the PS3 or 360 on at one time not both. I only need PC and one other device on at a time.

Well, as long as both of them have gigabit ports it should be ok, otherwise you'll need a crossover cable.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, as long as both of them have gigabit ports it should be ok, otherwise you'll need a crossover cable.
    Well they arent exactly expensive, £2-£3

Why would you need a crossover cable? Crossover cables are only useful for connecting like-devices (i.e. switch to switch, PC to PC). If you're not doing that, then a crossover cable won't work - period. Speed of the port doesn't matter at all, it'll just go the speed of the slower port.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Why would you need a crossover cable? Crossover cables are only useful for connecting like-devices (i.e. switch to switch, PC to PC). If you're not doing that, then a crossover cable won't work - period. Speed of the port doesn't matter at all, it'll just go the speed of the slower port.
    Because without a switch, and him using his PC as a gateway device he would be doing just that. And why does speed matter? Because gigabit uses all 4 pairs and auto senses if it's connected to a switch or another device. Most 100mb devices can as well, but not all.