Thread: Advice

Deleted

Advice

Hi all!

Just need a bit of advice before I go ahead a shell out lots of money on a new rig.

So here is what I'm planning on buying:

I have a few questions if you guys wouldn't mind answering

1. Are there any noticeable differences in different GFX brands? (Asus or EVGA etc)

2. Could the i5 2500k bottleneck performance when playing games coming out in Q4/Q1 2012? (Worth getting i7 2600k?)

3. Is the Noctua overkill for one GFX card?

4. How is the SSD card rated? Better alternatives?

5. Is the 922 case generous enough to accommodate the build?

6. Is it worth investing in a 3D ready 120hz monitor? (Noticeable difference to standard LED?)

From an interest point of view, what is the actual difference in RAM frequency - does it improve performance or is it negligible?

Last of all, I have been advised by a number of friends that I should wait for AMD Bulldozer release coming soon, as well as the Nvidia release of their 6 series of GFX cards - I feel that I would be paying an unnecessary amount more for a rig that would be overkill for the games I am looking to be playing (BF3/Skyrim) - surely the setup I'm looking to build will be more than capable to handle these new games?

Lots of questions, I know :P

Thanks in advance for your response, it is much appreciated!

Deleted
    afaik the i5 2500k is better than i7 2600k for gaming as the i7 have more options for different things that ain't for gaming.

And btw, can you bump this thread please: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/974206-overclocking

Deleted
    1) Get the ASUS P8P67 pro mobo
    2) Samsung spinpoint F3 HDD instead of WD black
    3) No, the 2500k is better/equal to the 2600k in gaming
    3,78)Ehm, the Noctua CPU cooler is for the, well, CPU. It doesn't cool the GPU at all, it actually made mine a bit warmer because of space restrictions.
    4.88) Yes, the 922 case is well enough. I could fit it in my terribad CM elite 335
    5) I don't know much about SSds
    6) I dislike d, so I wouldn't know.
    7) I still recommend 1600MHz RAM, it works best.
    7) Bulldozer will beat my i5 750, but it won't beat the 2500k.
    I suck at numbering) The only difference between the brands of cards nowadays is the cooling. I personally prefer the Twin Frozr series by MSI, but DCII is just as good, it just takes up three slots. Some of the Graphics cards are also facory overclocked.
    Still suck at numbering) For that price, you should get a modular power supply too.

It feels good to be back to helping people.
    Last edited by mmocb39a133b7e; 2011-09-11 at 12:15 PM.

Deleted
    Thanks Hmmster! Much appreciated!

Not sure why I thought the Noctua was a GFX cooler XD

If I'm looking to maybe get a second 580 in the future would it be worth investing a liquid cooling system?

Deleted
    Well, liquid cooling is nothing for the novice, it's very
    a) Complicated to set up
    b) expensive
    You should look up on liquid cooling a bit to see how to set it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The heatsink won't fit with this RAM kit. Get either the Low-Profile ones, or G.Skill (Corsair XMS have smaller heatsinks too, but they need 1.65V compared to 1.5 for Vengeance).
    And i5 is as good as i7, unless you do 3D rendering/video editing. OCZ's SSDs have higher failure rate, so you'd better get a more reliable one (Corsair Force, Crucial M4, Intel 510 series).

Quote Originally Posted by Rhixion View Post

If I'm looking to maybe get a second 580 in the future would it be worth investing a liquid cooling system?
    If you're going to add another GTX580 you might consider getting a bigger case. HAF X has similar desing with 922 and it offers extra cooling and support on multiple GPUs.

Deleted
    Thanks again Hmmster, and Zkeya.

Would these RAM sticks do?

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=43961

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhixion View Post

If you're looking at having SLI in the future you'll need another motherboard, that's a micro-atx board, you'll want full size atx for SLI setup, such as the p8p67 pro mentioned above (considering that you're getting a dedicated SSD there's little point in z68 board)

Deleted
    That's a handy little site, thanks for that!