Thread: Holy Advice

Deleted

Holy Advice

I am the healing officer of a guild and we have recently acquired a new healer. I need help helping him improve, as a resto druid I can only tell him healing specific things and not class specific things. (I have read guides but there's only so much you can learn without playing the class).

Here is his armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...orach/advanced

A few things I would say after looking at that:
    - Replace bracer encahtn for +50 int
    - Replace both belt gems for +40 int gems
    - Replace shield gem for +40 int gem
    - Get the relic from molten front

If he was a resto druid I would say don't reforge to spirit too, but I'm not sure if that's wise for paladins.

Here are our logs:
    Farm night: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-k6biqw8ho2ymaqyv/
    Rag attempts: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hxe3qhqxmoll3ssl/
    The first few rag attempts were 2 healing, me and him. The last few were me, him and our SP switched to Disc.

A few things I have noticed:
    - He always has tonnes of mana at times when he shouldn't (One rag attempt both other healers were oom and he was on ~80% mana)
    I'm pretty sure this is due to him just being too conservative, I've tried to saying not to be so conservative but this hasn't really changed how much mana he spends.

- He tends not to heal the tank who doesn't have his beacon
    During our Rag attempts he had his beacon on our DK, on this attempt: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hx...?s=3337&e=3838 he did 2.1m healing to our DK and only 755k to our warrior tank. Does beacon really account for that much healing? 755k seems very little for a 8:21 attempt

- His AoE healing is particularly weak
    My understanding of paladin AoE healing is use Holy Radiance on CD, whilst building Holy Power for Light of Dawns? If someone could explain what they do during say Staghelm's Scorpion phases that'd be nice

- He doesn't heal whilst moving
    Should he just be using HSs, WoGs and Instant FoLs? What's the deal here?

One last question:
    I know for Resto Druids 2005 haste rating is like the holy grail as it gives us an extra tick on Wild Growth, is there a haste breakpoint like this for Holy paladins that he should gear towards?

I know he is using VuhDo for his healing add-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarge View Post
    Here is his armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...orach/advanced

The difference between 10 int and 20 spirit is minor enough to leave it up to personal preference. And he needs that yellow gem for his meta.

On the topic of your logs : Firelands is is usually 2 healed in 10 man (with a few exceptions) meaning you can't really gauge your healing done - because there just isn't enough to heal. Can't really tell much from the logs but the spell distribution looks fairly reasonable - although he might want to use his cds more.

One thing I noticed though: only 2/3 Protector of the Innocent is a big nono. Tell him to get 3/3 (at the cost of improved judgements or magic dispel, because ... you shouldn't need magic dispel in FL)

---------- Post added 2011-09-12 at 03:46 AM ----------

He doesn't heal whilst moving

One last question:
    I know for Resto Druids 2005 haste rating is like the holy grail as it gives us an extra tick on Wild Growth, is there a haste breakpoint like this for Holy paladins that he should gear towards?
    HS has a cooldown, WoG costs Holy Power and FoL costs lots of mana and requires a proc to be cast while moving.

A haste level that has *some* significance would be 1860, but that's only for the 14th HR tick and shouldn't affect his gearing strategy much.
    Last edited by Nillo; 2011-09-12 at 03:42 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    - Replace bracer encahtn for +50 int
    - Get the relic from molten front

If he was a resto druid I would say don't reforge to spirit too, but I'm not sure if that's wise for paladins.
    Nillo covered this above. Relic and bracer enchant switch are good though.

A few things I have noticed:
    - He always has tonnes of mana at times when he shouldn't (One rag attempt both other healers were oom and he was on ~80% mana)
    I'm pretty sure this is due to him just being too conservative, I've tried to saying not to be so conservative but this hasn't really changed how much mana he spends.
    To be completely honest, I ended our first Rag kill ever with like 70% mana. I usually end Phase 1 with 100% mana, and end Phase 2 with around 80% mana. If you Divine Plea during the transitions (yes, even the second one, have the tank use CDs and stuff), and Judge frequently, there should be zero mana issues.

In your case though, if your other healers are OOM, that's a sign he is probably being too conservative (and I'd also question what is causing that much damage - Rag damage is actually quite low - the fight is about avoiding instagibs, not healing). It's a holdover from early Cataclysm, when mana actually mattered.

- He tends not to heal the tank who doesn't have his beacon
    During our Rag attempts he had his beacon on our DK, on this attempt: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hx...?s=3337&e=3838 he did 2.1m healing to our DK and only 755k to our warrior tank. Does beacon really account for that much healing? 755k seems very little for a 8:21 attempt
    Healing your beacon tank with Divine Light (or Flash of Light in emergencies) generates 1 Holy Power, which is actually a really big deal. I usually Divine Light my beacon tank whenever possible (since I have so much mana nowadays). 755k may be a little low, but as long as the non-beacon tank isn't dying, it is okay.

- His AoE healing is particularly weak
    My understanding of paladin AoE healing is use Holy Radiance on CD, whilst building Holy Power for Light of Dawns? If someone could explain what they do during say Staghelm's Scorpion phases that'd be nice
    Yeah, that's basically it. I looked at the first Scorpion phase (we go to 10 stacks on the first one) and my guild's Resto Druid was at 27k HPS. I was at 16k HPS. I Holy Radiance on cooldown, use Divine Favor for one, Avenging Wrath on another, etc, and even build a few extra Holy Powers via Tower of Radiance heals on the tank. I also have 4T12. It just doesn't remotely compare to a real AoE healer.

- He doesn't heal whilst moving
    Yes. He should always be casting something while moving. Divine Protection, Hand of Sacrifice, Hand of Salvation, Holy Shock, Word of Glory, and Judgement are my favorite 6, but instant Flash of Lights are fine if he is high on mana. Not casting while moving is the sign of a bad movement system (e.g. using your mouse to move when using a healing add-on based on clicking). He should use his mouse to turn and then instantly move his cursor back to Vudho and keep healing while he holds the W key or presses auorun to move forwards in the direction he turned to (I have autorun bound in 3 places and I hit it constantly during fights).

One last question:
    No (despite what others may try to tell you).
    Last edited by Simca; 2011-09-12 at 05:56 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    Nobody has said it yet, it and I didn't mention it (since I only really cared about playstyle, spell choice etc) when we chatted, but tell him to swap one of his yellow gems. He has an unused yellow socket in his boots. Or just give him embers for the 378 crafted boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post

No (despite what others may try to tell you).
    Actually there is few points of haste where you get a extra tick out of holy radiance, but seeing as you should just get as much haste as possible anyways no real point in "aiming" for them as you will get them anyhow.

No point in trying to say something when Simca goes through everything that well. Ill just add "What he said".

How ever, i would like to ask which trinkets are seen as BiS for holy paladins? And the T12 4p bonus, if that's really something to go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Zabuko View Post
    No point in trying to say something when Simca goes through everything that well. Ill just add "What he said".

How ever, i would like to ask which trinkets are seen as BiS for holy paladins? And the T12 4p bonus, if that's really something to go for?
    Trinkets, anything with the most intellect on it at your point. He should upgrade his Core of Ripeness with a Jaws of Defeat, as I imagine Shard of Woe being out of the equation. Ideally, the BiS trinkets are heroic Jaws of Defeat and Shard of Woe.

T12 bonus is debatable, especially for 10man content. It's about as useful as light of dawn is for several encounters (i.e. stackpoints on rag), and it accounts to about 3% of your healing done in a 25man environment. It also matters if you're in heroic modes or not.

As far as haste breakpoints go, 1861 is your initial 14th tick, anything above that is easily optional, and given the right gear set (BiS set), you'd reach them anyway. I'm at 2361 or so haste rating with 2pc and two off pieces, along with a haste chest.

Deleted
    Nillo and Simca covered all the important stuff, one thing I would like to add is, for your farm clears logs, you have 2 holy paladins in the raid.

I've healed 10 mans with another holy paladin once upon a time and I basically wiped the floor with that paladin, not necessarily because I was that much better, but simply because if you've got 2-holy paladins then usually the one that's got the most haste (ie. best gear) and faster reactions will simply snipe-heal the heals the other paladin would be about to do.

For 10-man normals especially, damage taken tends to be on the low-side (which is why most bosses are usually 2-healed) so using 3 usually makes one of the healers fall behind quite a bit simply because there's nothing to heal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phosey View Post
    Trinkets, anything with the most intellect on it at your point. He should upgrade his Core of Ripeness with a Jaws of Defeat, as I imagine Shard of Woe being out of the equation. Ideally, the BiS trinkets are heroic Jaws of Defeat and Shard of Woe.

T12 bonus is debatable, especially for 10man content. It's about as useful as light of dawn is for several encounters (i.e. stackpoints on rag), and it accounts to about 3% of your healing done in a 25man environment. It also matters if you're in heroic modes or not.

As far as haste breakpoints go, 1861 is your initial 14th tick, anything above that is easily optional, and given the right gear set (BiS set), you'd reach them anyway. I'm at 2361 or so haste rating with 2pc and two off pieces, along with a haste chest.
    And here I thought jaws was one of the worst trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    And here I thought jaws was one of the worst trinkets.
    Jaws is one of the best tirnkets for us this tier. Your BIS is heroic jaws and shard
    --Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do- (B. Franklin)--