Poll: What, in your opinion, was the greatest invention of all time?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What, in your opinion, was the greatest invention of all time?

I was watching a show on the History Channel that posed the following question:

What, in your opinion, was the greatest invention of all time?

I thought it was an interesting question, and thought it might make for good discussion here on MMO-C (and didn't see any existing threads on the subject), so I decided to ask you guys.

The poll options, in alphabetical order, are:
    1. Air Plane
    2. Antibiotics
    3. Automobile/Train/Steam Engine
    4. Fire
    5. Guns/Gun Powder
    6. Microchip
    7. Personal Computers/The Internet (sorry, I didn't think to add The Internet to the poll until after it was created, it would be great if a mod would do that for me! =D)
    8. Telephone
    9. Transistor
    10. Other (Please leave it in the comments!)

Obviously, there are hundreds of thousands of great inventions, I've simply listed some of the most notable... If you have one that isn't on the list, check "Other" and then let us know!

Please, do not flame those who choose differently than you do, everyone has their own reasons for believing one invention is superior to another.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-09-12 at 07:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sammiches by far the best invention.

The internet! and Doctor Who

10. Other - Duct Tape

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares
    Hot Pockets.

Deleted
    Other - Internet

10+ Year Old Account
    I think an argument can be made for most of those. Fire is pretty big, though not a massive technological breakthrough. Guns are big because they lead to so many other things. PCs are huge. Microchips are amazing. Planes are awesome. Antibiotics are pretty sweet.

I dunno.

10. Other - Bread. And also: cheese.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I'm going to say the telephone.
    Still fascinated by how all of those inventions work.

Deleted
    Same as Yobtar....Duct tape for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I think an argument can be made for most of those. Fire is pretty big, though not a massive technological breakthrough. Guns are big because they lead to so many other things. PCs are huge. Microchips are amazing. Planes are awesome. Antibiotics are pretty sweet.

I dunno.
    Indeed, I also found it hard to choose, but I ended up voting for computers; they have changed our lives completely, think about what would happen to society if every computer in the world were to cease functioning simultaneously... It would be chaos (which is kind of sad, when you think about it).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-09-12 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post

I dunno.
    Fire is important, but it would have happened one way or another by accident, since fires can start via nature. I have a harder time calling that an invention since nature did it first.

I would say the Internet. Before that, the Printing Press. The ability to transfer information and knowledge faster is what allows humans to develop new and improved things as quick as we do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Language.
    /5char

10+ Year Old Account
    Internetz.
    Then he fapped to his own pseudo-intellectualism and no one ever loved him. Ever.

The End

10+ Year Old Account
    Teh internets, fo sho!

The Written Word...and then Duct Tape.
    I wanted to say language but then I realized, pretty much every living creature has it's own language and who are we to say they don't?

Deleted
    Fire. Without it we probably wouldn't be here having this discussion.

Fire aint no invention! The cavemans just discovered how to make it.

Deleted
    Other than guns/gun powder and language, those are all very recent inventions. I don't count 'fire' since that is not an invention

Personally I would pick moveable-type printing press for most important invention in the past 2000 years.