Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    first make sure that there is a waterblock for your GPU's in general they are only made for refernce designs, EK makes some GPU blocks for non refernce designs, but not all

if you are only cooling your CPU, there is nothing wrong with doing it, but as others have said, you won't gain very much, and in fact most people with watercooling dont really need it, it's most often done for the cool factor, the stock cooler that came with my cpu is more then capable of handling the 4.5ghz i run daily

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    (which I think it's not possible, since DCII are tripple-slotters)
    Triple-slot DCII's on go to the high-end cards i.e. 6950, 6970, 570 and 580. The rest of the DCII's are double-slotters at the most.

At the moment im abit stuck with what PSU and memory to pick, I think 950w will do but i still have my thoughts if i add 3 HDD's.. After i got set up everything im going to get a 120Hz screen (probably samsung).
    A quality 750-850w is more than enough. Check something from Cosair's HX (silver) or AX (gold) series, Seasonic's X-series (best of Gold but pricey), CoolerMaster's Silent Pro (Gold) or Antec's High-Current gamer.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-13 at 11:19 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    Make sure the RAM kits can fit with the NH-D14 (they probably will, but double check this). Also you'd better have a free slot between the cards (which I think it's not possible, since DCII are tripple-slotters). Maybe go for MSI Twin Frozr?
    I deleted the MSI GTX560Ti Twin Frozr off my list not so long ago after reading up alot on reviews and tests. I hope that i will have some space left somewhere on the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO so i may get a soundcard as well.

Maybe you confused the ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS with the ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI which is alot more thicker than the 560!

OCZ's ModXStream? I'm not exactly seeing all that much good about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah just realized ModXStream isn't the best for the higher-wattage brackets >_>
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-13 at 11:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    A quality 750-850w is more than enough. Check something from Cosair's HX (silver) or AX (gold) series, Seasonic's X-series (best of Gold but pricey), CoolerMaster's Silent Pro (Gold), OCZ's ModXStream or Antec's High-Current gamer.
    I surely will check on a Corsair but i must say that im still confused with a 850psu seeing it as one GPU requires 300w (350ish when oc'ed) at full load 2x-ish + the mobo 300w + other components, this may sound stupid from me but i dont really understand how should a 850w PSU be able to stable cover all this with 3 HDD's which would need like lets say a 100w extra?

950w maybe?

10+ Year Old Account
    In Guru3D and HardwareHeaven's reviews both report 450-500w FULL system wattage with two GTX560's (@ stock clocks) with an overclocked LGA1366 CPU. GTX560 Ti is a fairly efficient card, one of the reasons why the chip runs so cool. As long as it's a good brand/model of PSU, anything over 750-800w is way overkill...that's with everything overclocked.
    Hard drives take jack-all voltage, like 7-10w per drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru3D
    Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 201W
    System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 449W
    Difference (GPU load) = 248W
    Add average IDLE wattage ~ 50W
    Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 298 Watts

Mind you that the system wattage is measured from the wall socket and is for the entire PC. Below, a chart of measured Wattages per card.

With 2-way SLI we noticed our power consumption for the cards peaked to roughly 298 Watts, that's JUST the two cards, not the entire PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareHeaven
    For idle power we list the full system use at the wall after sitting at the desktop with no activity for 5 minutes. Load power is the highest reading we saw for the full system when testing during this review. Temperatures are taken in the same way. Noise levels are taken after a period of prolonged gaming in a scenario which applied maximum load to the GPU.

ASUS GTX 560 Ti TOP GTX 560 Ti SLI
    Idle Power 152w 199w
    Load Power 325w 498w
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-09-14 at 12:05 AM.

Honestly, water cooling can be awesome but if the lines break you're totally screwed, IMO I'd stay away from water cooling

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple4 View Post
    Honestly, water cooling can be awesome but if the lines break you're totally screwed, IMO I'd stay away from water cooling
    not really, pure distilled water doesn't conduct electricity, the danger with leaks is that you run out of water to cool the system, but the amount of water loss needed to cause that problem would be very noticeable

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    not really, pure distilled water doesn't conduct electricity, the danger with leaks is that you run out of water to cool the system, but the amount of water loss needed to cause that problem would be very noticeable
    Whoa..? Surely SOMETHING has to happen when liquid manages to leak into e.g. a running GPU or PSU?
    It's the only thing putting me off a custom WC loop really, the potential of me stuffing up something small and the potential of developing small leaks which I'll have to fix ASAP. Atleast that's what I'm reading on OCN with other people's WC loops. Initial costs aside, it's really not a set-and-forget cooling solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoa..? Surely SOMETHING has to happen when liquid manages to leak into e.g. a running GPU or PSU?
    It's the only thing putting me off a custom WC loop really, the potential of me stuffing up something small and the potential of developing small leaks which I'll have to fix ASAP. Atleast that's what I'm reading on OCN with other people's WC loops. Initial costs aside, it's really not a set-and-forget cooling solution.
    ive seen catastrophic leaks before, the most was that a MB had to be replaced because the dye in the water gummed up the PCIe-x16 slot, distilled water can mix with dust on your parts and become conductive, and it can cause the layers of teh PCB to separate, but your not gonna get huge electrical explosions

and if you do it right it wont leak, the biggest weak points in a waterloop anymore is the fittings, and they have come a long way, if properly made and installed, compression fittings are practically leak proof

pure distilled water contains no impurities or any of the fun stuff that makes water so damaging to electronics. now yes liquid in general in the PSU is a bad idea, and even with distilled water or hell even mineral oil, you need to fix it asap. but you wont spring a random leak and immediately see your pc go up in smoke. but, generally, watercooling is far from necessary. you can spend 75% less and get a killer aftermarket heatsink to keep your cpu nice and cool. your case and your case fans play an integral role in keeping everything else cold as well. the 560 ti (with the MSI twin frozr case) will hardly need any outside cooling aside from it's own fans even while oc'ed. supposing of course you're still going with those and not the 580. Personally i may recommend the 580 so that you can later upgrade into a sli 580 or whatever. I still love my 560 though, beast of a card.

Deleted
    As long as it's a good brand/model of PSU, anything over 750-800w is way overkill...that's with everything overclocked.
    Hard drives take jack-all voltage, like 7-10w per drive.
    Ok then, 500w max for Gpu's, 330w max for mobo, 50ish watts for ssd and hdd's making this a 870w - 10% on everything = 783. Let's say that 850 is optimal, but what about all the other fans, memory, external HDD, soundcard? And would there be a problem with a 950w one just to make sure? Or is a 850w definately optimal from what you say, and if it is.. still how? If it's not really optimal then i'd get a 950w one but only if there should be no problems with it?

Edit: I'd like a 850w psu but i just want to make sure that it's the right choice for me
    Last edited by mmoc8948ca12f3; 2011-09-14 at 12:57 AM.

Distilled containing no impurities is false, very little yes. The water itself is an insulator, and even distillation can't remove everything. Plus once you open the bottle it becomes less "pure". Once you put it in the loop it picks up trace materials and becomes even less "pure" Will it conduct if it leaks? It might, it might not. Like Cyan said you won't get explosions, but if there's enough trace stuff in the water you could short something out and well, we know how that can go.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, a high quality 750-850w will run the entire system (drives, fans, usb, etc etc etc) with overclocks just fine. After that it's completely up to you whether you buy an 800w, 950w or 1200w. PSU is a personal choice, people often buy PSU's that can provide vastly more power than what their system puts out...while others get PSU's that meet their systems' needs and nothing more. Up to you.