Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alms1407 View Post
    Same, I hope my work place and the university I lecture at don't change their operating system.
    Your uni is using Windows?

I'll download it, but when 7 was available, didn't the internet as a whole see some insane surge in traffic over a 24 period or some jazz? Pretty sure they're going to get hammered :P

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    xp was great, vista was crap (at the beginning), 7 was great, 8 is going to be crap
    DOS was just that, simple epic win DOS ... Win 3.xx was not great, but it was the beginning, Win 95 was okay for what it was, Win 98 was bad, Win 98 SE was good, Win ME was complete horse crap, Win 2000 was great and solid but intended for servers (though I used at home), Win XP RTM was bad, Win XP SP1/SP2 is still good and solid, Win Vista was terri-bad (and still is), Win 7 has been very good thus far. From the longer track record, I think we can hold on to just a shred of hope that Windows 8 will not suck, but keep in mind that Windows 9 will just be another 3 years after that. :-)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballador View Post
    Vista was terri-bad (and still is)
    Vista works just fine nowadays. Much of the hickups were removed in SP1, and everything else in SP2 (which itself was a feature pack). The big driver issue disapeared with time; and as 7 and Vista share drivers - theres hardly a need to say that Vista drivers are also stable.

Of course, theres very little reason to choose Vista (unless you must have the Vista UI). W7 is better at what Vista does, and XP is better for resource limited environments (256mb of RAM and such, which is also useful for VMs). There is no middle ground for Vista to thrive in.

I think you should learn how to work computers, and you realize how not bad most of those, except ME, were.

The differences between Windows 7 and Vista are so minute, most people probably have no idea why they hate Vista, they just do because other people tell them to.

Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    I think you should learn how to work computers, and you realize how not bad most of those, except ME, were.

The differences between Windows 7 and Vista are so minute, most people probably have no idea why they hate Vista, they just do because other people tell them to.
    I never had any reason to hate vista and I knew people who used it, I was using it for 2 years, and of course I had the normal hiccups most people have even on 7 and XP, hiccups happen time to time. my only complaint ever was with ME, that made me scream bloody murder because I swear it was like 5 blue screens a day lol.

But yeah Vista, was never bad for me, I have no idea what issues people had, I took good care of my computer and played a variety of games on it with out so any issue. Maybe someone who programs or runs servers, or some video making, I don't know. It must have been something else besides gaming and the usual computer task that made Vista have such a bad rep from people, but I doubt everyone saying it was bad, was either of those things.

Oh yay! Ribbon UI...NOT, definately sticking with W7

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to try it, ofc! Does anybody know, what are the minimum system requirements? Can't afford to mess up any computer here, except one 4-5 years old :-/
    Last edited by druidicitus; 2011-09-13 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo
    English is not my mainspec!

I plan on installing it to my 2nd hdd and then using a dual boot, that way if I do not like it, poof time to format the 2nd hdd.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I feel more comfy with the Windows 7 UI and taskbar, Windows 8 looks way too basic for my likings.
    All the function your used to is there, the Metro UI is literally an overlay. They have made a nice amount of changes regarding the speed of the OS and just the over all look. They have made significant improvements in copy/cut/paste, transferring speeds, SSD speeds and much more.

I suggest you give it a try before writing it off as a dumbed down Win 7. You and many others will be surprised.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by druidicitus View Post
    Going to try it, ofc! Does anybody know, what are the minimum system requirements? Can't afford to mess up any computer here, except one 4-5 years old :-/
    System requirements are slightly lower than that of Windows 7. 32-bit version totals about 280mb of RAM at stock, versus 400mb (W7) - and yes thats in the 'traditional' mode with the new Task Manager active.

Keep in mind that this is not even a Beta release. Expect it to crash, have hickups, and throw tanturums.
    (It did have a few hickups - though no crashes - at the 2.5 hour conference earlier today)
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-09-13 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by druidicitus View Post
    I believe it was said to install and test on a spare computer? And not your main PC? I would never test a new program like this on my main PC, only on a back up hard drive or something.

DAMNIT! And I've just gotten used to windows 7.

The bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    sounds risky, Microsoft has a history of alternating their good Windows versions with their bad versions
    Why is that? You can still use it almost exactly like you do Windows 7 and it has a lot of good changes that W7 lacks.

Seems I have to reinstall Windows on my laptop

This wait is starting to kill me, going to put this up on my laptop and check it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    ahhh, too many people downloading at once:

10+ Year Old Account
    SICK! maybe my company will stop being cheap and update to windows.....xp....

10+ Year Old Account
    Max I've had was 800kB/s lol

Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Max I've had was 800kB/s lol
    :O that's not much. 7MB/s here :P