Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
LastLast
  1. #181
    I am still using windows xp lol

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant89 View Post
    Running Win 8 on my 4 year old laptop at the moment, and surprised how smooth it is running. It boots really quickly as well. Still, Metro is annoying as all heck. When I click the start button I want the start menu, not an entire screen that is designed for a touch device. I have a tablet, I don't need my desktop to become one. I know I can switch to the standard desktop, but to me its as if its standard desktop is an afterthought to them. I found a registry edit that pretty does away with metro but it pretty much turns the OS into Win 7, so why should I upgrade?

    One more thing, Apps? Really? Why cant we call them applications or programs. I doubt I will be upgrading to Windows 8 based on what it is in this early stage.

    Edit: To those of you saying the Metro UI is just a new start menu to broaden the Windows user-base. I have two questions.

    1. Why then when I click the Windows Button on my desktop am I taken to the Metro UI instead of getting the normal start menu.

    2. Broaden the Windows userbase? It already has the largest market share by far, and the audience they are going after with metro surely are windows users already, that wont be changing OS's until the purchase of a new computer.
    Simple, 1. You have an unfinished developer build that is not polished nor nearly ready for release.
    2. You don't understand the "niché". Windows 8 is about providing connectivity, productivity and efficiency between all devices, something that at the moment is a bit of a complicated facet of personal and business life what with many phone OS, portable computer OS and desktop OS. And alongside that - different versions of such.

    I think its clear here they are trying to eventually adopt an operating system that is robust enough to allow cross platform/device integration with minimal fuss from the end user.

    That's my astute observation, no source.

    ---------- Post added 2011-09-18 at 07:54 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    The days of the desktop dominating the computer world are finally coming to a close. Tablet gaming will be the future.

    It's only the natural progression of things.
    Actually its completely unnatural. Tablets are gimmicks.

    True gaming requires tactile peripherals like gaming mice and physical keyboards. Long discussions have been had on this, including productivity assessments regarding the actual efficiency of tablets vs laptops and desktops and there are two very clear winners. Tablets are a niché, and are not looking to expand out of that niché.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Actually its completely unnatural. Tablets are gimmicks.

    True gaming requires tactile peripherals like gaming mice and physical keyboards. Long discussions have been had on this, including productivity assessments regarding the actual efficiency of tablets vs laptops and desktops and there are two very clear winners. Tablets are a niché, and are not looking to expand out of that niché.
    I'm going to put this bluntly: gamers aren't important. It's even more of a niche than tablets are (see tablets' adoption amongst everything from airlines to boardroom executives). Mobile computing is obviously the way of the future, regardless of whether or not the particular form factor is going to a laptop, smartphone, tablet, or something else. Both Windows and Apple, with Win8 and Lion respectively, have made a large bet on the future of mobile computing by implementing smartphone and tablet-inspired UI elements into their operating system. You may not like the way computing is going, but complaining about its efficiency and calling it a niche market (when you're a gamer... really?) is just wasted breath.

  4. #184
    The Lightbringer Asera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Posts
    3,736
    I'm going to put this bluntly: gamers aren't important.
    Sad but true.

    We like to think we are important though.
    Node 304 | i7 3770 | H77N WIFI | 2x4GiB HyperX 1600 | 2x512GB MX100 | MSI GTX970 4GiB | U2711 | 6GV2 | Naga Hex Wrath | Yamaha RX-V550 | Win7 Enterprise
    15" Retina MBP | i7 4960HQ | 16GiB 1600 | 512GB PCIe SSD | IRIS Pro + GT750M | Orochi | OSX 10.9.5

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Mobile computing is obviously the way of the future
    Not really. The way of the future is a combination of everything.
    We had laptops for the past +20 years and the desktops haven't disappeared yet.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-18 at 07:57 PM.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Not really. The way of the future is a combination of everything.
    We had laptops for the past +20 years and the desktops haven't disappeared.
    Then why are mobile device revenues, data usage, and share of the overall computing market growing at a pace that vastly outstrips traditional desktops and laptops? Every major technology firm has made serious bets on mobile computing for a reason.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Then why are mobile device revenues, data usage, and share of the overall computing market growing at a pace that vastly outstrips traditional desktops and laptops? Every major technology firm has made serious bets on mobile computing for a reason.
    Because these devices are "interesting" and sell well. But at the end they can't fully replace a desktop.

  8. #188
    This thread astounds me... The Windows 8 Metro look was first unveiled in June... It's now September. Microsoft has been getting its ass kicked in the tablet/phone market, this is their way of trying to even the playing field. If anyone had bothered to watch any of the demos they'd also know that you can shell out to the Windows 7 desktop for non Metro apps.

    Stuff takes some time to adopt, give it time and this will be what people are looking for in their desktops as well as mobile devices.

  9. #189
    Pandaren Monk DarkXale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Then why are mobile device revenues, data usage, and share of the overall computing market growing at a pace that vastly outstrips traditional desktops and laptops?
    Market stagnation. You simply cannot grow at the same rates forever. Its a basic economic concept that surprisingly many economists seem to forget. Penetration of more capable portable systems is still low (and that of course does make it tempting).
    Last edited by DarkXale; 2011-09-18 at 08:17 PM.

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    Then why are mobile device revenues, data usage, and share of the overall computing market growing at a pace that vastly outstrips traditional desktops and laptops? Every major technology firm has made serious bets on mobile computing for a reason.
    This is extremely unimportant.

    "Casual gaming" has really taken off recently, but for anything outside of a very specific sphere of gaming requires precise peripherals, which mobile devices lack entirely at this point.

  11. #191
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Prague, CZE, EU
    Posts
    4,414
    According to what I saw on videos the entire Windows 8 tablet UI seems to be only an app, an extension of some sort over normal Windows UI.

    I too obviously hate the tablet UI (consdering that I use Windows on my laptop and PC) but it seems to be only... Something like the side bar in Windows Vista (and I think it's in Win7 too) that I have never ever used.


  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Because these devices are "interesting" and sell well. But at the end they can't fully replace a desktop.
    At the moment, maybe, but if the Win8 initiative works we'll see a lot less difference between tablets and a desktop OS; after all, your Win8 tablet will be able to run the same software that your desktop can. They can browse the web, watch and store media, and do just about anything short of professional-grade computing tasks (like video encoding). They aren't good for gamers, but as I said earlier, why are gamers relevant?

    Now, a caveat - I think smartphones are probably more important than tablets in the longrun, because they have even more functionality as a phone on top of their potential to have desktop-level computing capabilities. Their status as an all-in-one device for most consumers is very, very attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Market stagnation. You simply cannot grow at the same rates forever. Its a basic economic concept that surprisingly many economists seem to forget. Penetration of more capable portable systems is still low (and that of course does make it tempting).
    There's still some growth so we aren't completely saturated, but I think we're reaching a point where traditional computing devices (laptops, desktops) will stop seeing growth or decline because mobile devices offer a superior experience for consumers.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    At the moment, maybe, but if the Win8 initiative works we'll see a lot less difference between tablets and a desktop OS; after all, your Win8 tablet will be able to run the same software that your desktop can.
    You mean like virtual machines using 2GB RAM each ?

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post
    There's still some growth so we aren't completely saturated, but I think we're reaching a point where traditional computing devices (laptops, desktops) will stop seeing growth or decline because mobile devices offer a superior experience for consumers.
    You're really showing how you're not exactly familiar as to why most devices suck for anything but very casual games specifically designed for those platforms.

  15. #195
    Any ETA on Windows 8's release? I know it might be a ways off, but for this holiday season I think I'm using all my gift money to buy a windows phone, and if say Windows 8 was coming out in February, I'd wait till then, and buy the new Windows 8 Phone
    Intruders detected. Primary defense matrix initiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    If I could sleep next to a running vacuum cleaner, I woudn't care. I cannot, therefore, I care.


  16. #196
    Pandaren Monk DarkXale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by OmnitronDefenseSystem View Post
    Any ETA on Windows 8's release? I know it might be a ways off, but for this holiday season I think I'm using all my gift money to buy a windows phone, and if say Windows 8 was coming out in February, I'd wait till then, and buy the new Windows 8 Phone
    I'd say around 10-12 months.

    Windows 8 has yet to enter Beta, and there is also the Release Candidate, finally followed by the RTM period, before it actually becomes available in stores.

  17. #197
    Btw, I figured out how to turn off the Windows 8 boot-loader... I set preferred OS to Windows 7.

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    You mean like virtual machines using 2GB RAM each ?
    Grats, cherry picking computing tasks that are irrelevant to 95% of consumers. If you want to run a virtual machine, yeah, you should probably stick with a desktop for now. If you're like every other consumer, though, you're much more interested in running Quickbooks, Excel, Word, or an IDE than you are in running a virtual machine.

    P.S. There are smartphones - smartphone, not tablet - with 1GB RAM. It's not so far off.

    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    You're really showing how you're not exactly familiar as to why most devices suck for anything but very casual games specifically designed for those platforms.
    Again, I don't think games are important (if that's what you're referring to). People who play Crysis are not representative of typical consumers.

  19. #199
    I don't give a damn about gamers here either. You're misunderstanding if you think so.

    Name me exactly one reason you should use a mobile device if you're not moving once a frigging minute.

  20. #200
    not good with computers
    chaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Btw, I figured out how to turn off the Windows 8 boot-loader... I set preferred OS to Windows 7.
    Does that allow you to still pick W8 when booting without an extra reboot or does it reboot into W8 bootloader?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •