Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    So if I download this windows 8 version I wont be able to go back to Windows 7 later? or am I totally wrong?
    Install it in a virtual machine. You have to be crazy putting that preview version on your actual PC

I have it running under vmWare Fusion 4 on my iMac, works fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Trying to install it on VMWare Workstation 7.5 results in the cute new bluescreen.
    red panda red panda red panda!

You need to use VMware Fusion 4 or Virtualbox (with apic io on). I am using it on my laptop full time now, only missing a few non critical drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Install it in a virtual machine. You have to be crazy putting that preview version on your actual PC
    Not if you have a spare hard drive to place the boot loader on.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-09-17 at 06:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When Windows 7 Beta 1 (build 7000?) came it was already better than Vista and made its way into being my main OS despite the beta label. I recall reading many doing the same. It simply pretty much worked well enough for a lot of people.

I take it Windows 8 isn't doing THAT well? Since you're all chickening out and installing it on virtual machines :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    When Windows 7 Beta 1 (build 7000?) came it was already better than Vista and made its way into being my main OS despite the beta label.
    Currently the Windows 8 Beta 1 has not been released.

Windows 7 at the same situation as current; did not even look like Windows 7. It looked like Windows Vista.

10+ Year Old Account
    what happened to the new names such as vista, xp, me etc.... windows 7 and windows 8 sounds boring :P

I take it Windows 8 isn't doing THAT well? Since you're all chickening out and installing it on virtual machines :P
    Windows 8 is first and foremost a tablet OS, it works on a regular PC too, but it's not recommended. Especially where I'm sitting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    lol... 450 billion..
    LOL my exact reaction XD

I think it's a nice good breath from the old windowses that kept being around the same ideas(only polished).

Though I must agree it won't be as a hot seller as Windows 7 only due to the fact most people don't like changes.

I for one like/love them =).

Lets call it Windows Reacharound™

I'm sure you folks can figure out why.

10+ Year Old Account
    When Windows 7 Beta 1 (build 7000?) came it was already better than Vista and made its way into being my main OS despite the beta label. I recall reading many doing the same. It simply pretty much worked well enough for a lot of people.

dual boot, and i haven't loaded up 7 since i intalled it

---------- Post added 2011-09-17 at 02:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    Windows 8 is first and foremost a tablet OS, it works on a regular PC too, but it's not recommended. Especially where I'm sitting.
    no, no, no, this is the thing that people are failing to understand, windows 8 is not a first and foremost anything, it's just an OS, it's being designed to be the one OS you need for tablets, PC's and Servers, that way you end up with the highest compatibility between products, if you have ever setup a workgroup network, then you realize how easy and well microsoft products work with each other, if microsoft can pull this off, it will easily eliminate apples i-life concept

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    it's being designed to be the one OS you need for tablets, PC's and Servers, that way you end up with the highest compatibility between products
    I'd include phones as well. Keep in mind that Metro makes it ridiculously trivial to convert a 'PC Metro' program into a Phone one (and reverse).

That really is Microsoft's gamble. If it pays off you'll write one program. And it'll work on your tablet, your Desktop, your Laptop, your Server, and yes - your phone. Maybe even your Xbox.

They announced that x86 applications won't run on Windows 8 ARM, which is actually very good, because otherwise it would require pretty big changes to the kernel and that would possibly completely screw up the operating system.
    Now it's just a slightly improved copy of Windows 7 with better touch support, which means that it might actually work properly on release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Currently the Windows 8 Beta 1 has not been released.

Windows 7 at the same situation as current; did not even look like Windows 7. It looked like Windows Vista.
    Call it whatever they want it's the first publicly available version, as was win 7 beta 1. Also it does seem to differ a whole lot from windows 7 already.

It introduces tablet-friendly features but is supposed to be the successor for desktop as well. Ribbon UI, faster boot. more efficiently running things and I'm sure a hundred of minor UI tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    dual boot, and i haven't loaded up 7 since i intalled it.
    Good to hear! Might give it a run on the laptop, err, as the main and only OS, don't care unless it introduces some major incompability. I'm fine with the hassle of reinstallation if anything goes wrong but don't want the odds against me.

10+ Year Old Account
    nvm, I'm an idiot, don't mind me...

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on looks it looks like a resource hog.

Can anyone confirm how much resources it uses compared to Windows 7.

Why would it, based on looks, be a resource hog? If anything, going by the looks it should be extremely light.

I think you're overestimating how resources are being spent. The main interface is based on HTML5 standards and javascript, and in general there is exactly nothing indicating that it should be taking more than Windows 7.

You can completely turn off Metro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blade5o View Post
    Based on looks it looks like a resource hog.
    It uses less, actually. Current RAM usage of my VM installation a couple of minutes after boot with no special configurations is at 265MB.

Bear in mind that W8 has not yet entered Beta. Multiple functions and features are currently not implemented, along with optimizations. RAM usage in Beta Proper, Release Candidates, and the RTM will likely change.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-09-18 at 12:57 AM.