Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Pretty sure PSP turned out fine. UMD movies on the otherhand...

imo just sounds like you hate handhelds
    lol yeah UMD failed, I just meant the FF1 and FF2 releases on the PSP. Psp did fine because of pirating.... hmmmm pirating hardware. So delicious. Good thing they are making another one which is even better lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Damn them. FFX was awesome but FFS they know for a fucking FACT that we want 6 or 7 remade. Assholes. Dirty, stupid, awesome assholes.
    Sigh people are still going on about a FFVII remake these days and its sad because the fan base seems to have convinced themselves it would happen when in fact the words "perhaps" and ".. maybe in the future" are used to describe that scenario a lot.

For them to remake FFVII (or any of those PS1 games) it would effectively require a significantly higher level of effort that is just short of basically making a new game. PS1 games are restricted to very low resolutions because the old PS1 game engines are, the only solution that exists then is to literally remake everything almost from scratch. PS2 games however are alot easier, they could effectively just up the resolution of the graphical renderer engines on these games to bring many into HD settings.

Not to mention I love how so many people rubbish everything about FFX these days but the truth is it was a very good game (it sold quite well), it changed the graphical layout of FF games, it brought in actual voices to the characters making the RPG elements even stronger and the story was quite solid with characters being involving and entertaining and having significant developments of their own. And finally at the end leaving a sense of awe about what other secrets the land of Spira contained and con-sealed.

As for listening to the fans of the world I find NOT listening to them is often a good thing because all too often developers whom listen to fans find out the hard way that whilst their fans are busy giving the box art from the first verison/game a tongue bath that the actual new released version/sequel becomes stale and stagnates since nothing has been changed or improved and its very much the same game with a little extra DLC styled content slapped on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    Sigh people are still going on about a FFVII remake these days and its sad because the fan base seems to have convinced themselves it would happen when in fact the words "perhaps" and ".. maybe in the future" are used to describe that scenario a lot.

For them to remake FFVII (or any of those PS1 games) it would effectively require a significantly higher level of effort that is just short of basically making a new game. PS1 games are restricted to very low resolutions because the old PS1 game engines are, the only solution that exists then is to literally remake everything almost from scratch. PS2 games however are alot easier, they could effectively just up the resolution of the graphical renderer engines on these games to bring many into HD settings.

Not to mention I love how so many people rubbish everything about FFX these days but the truth is it was a very good game (it sold quite well), it changed the graphical layout of FF games, it brought in actual voices to the characters making the RPG elements even stronger and the story was quite solid with characters being involving and entertaining and having significant developments of their own. And finally at the end leaving a sense of awe about what other secrets the land of Spira contained and con-sealed.

As for listening to the fans of the world I find NOT listening to them is often a good thing because all too often developers whom listen to fans find out the hard way that whilst their fans are busy giving the box art from the first verison/game a tongue bath that the actual new released version/sequel becomes stale and stagnates since nothing has been changed or improved and its very much the same game with a little extra DLC styled content slapped on.
    I approve of this message
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    I approve of this message
    I don't.

If models don't have the polys, they don't have the polys - remake.

Use latest engine - code in similar movement/combat as required.

Spells have to look like they did in the game but with better graphics ergo - remake, regardless of game utilising new technologies, particles, lighting etc etc lots of these wont exist in old BSP's and engines.

Basically, not really easier at all.

With that being said, im not an FF fan at all buy I am pretty certain FFX was one of the best selling FF's, alongside 7 and 8... and an improvement upon 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

The issue with FFX is that of old players vs new players. You could damn near draw a venn diagram perfectly on this issue. People who started playing games on the likes of the atari weren't to happy with the developments being done in the mid 90s and certainly didn't like cinematics making up for lacking substance. Where as people who only got into games due to developments in the mid 90's loved the changes.

Truth is, there is a decent populace out there who don't give a damn about pretty.... we're angry about Transformers thank you. But the fact is that is the way the industry has gone mainstream. On the plus side, there are more and more small time developers out there who are actually bringing things to the table.

And just to combat your statement as I've alluded to before, Transforms was utter shit... but boy did it sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Just because it was on a crap system designed for children and created to further the lie that pokemon is cool isn't my fault either. I mean, NO ONE cares that crystal chronicals came out on the game cube, lost of people we annoyed that they had to shell out $150 if they really wanted play an updated FF game.

lol which reminds me... how'd that work out for the psp again.... awwwww
    I just realized how completely pointless this discussion with you was. Good luck with your rage in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how they decide to remake 10 instead of 7.... Y'know the more financially successful one? I gave up on Square like 7 years ago. Shit like this should come as no surprise to anyone.

I think you missed my tone, either that or you just quoted me for the hell of it.

I'm happy about the remake and I will no doubt buy it.

Better?

15+ Year Old Account
    Oooh! WTB! Though why not FF7? Seeing how popular the FF7 tech demo was, it would sell like crazy.

But FF10 is great aswell Though it's already good looking so don't see why it would need a revamp.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    I think you missed my tone, either that or you just quoted me for the hell of it.

I'm happy about the remake and I will no doubt buy it.

Better?
    Sorry wasn't targeting you was just saying how I too would like a FF7 remake but the FFX one is still a good move imo. So the correct answer is likely to be the latter and I really quoted you for the hell of it

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I just realized how completely pointless this discussion with you was. Good luck with your rage in the future.
    Man people on here don't take sarcasm well at all.

Point really stands, Nintendo pushes their products completely directed to EXTREMELY casual markets and kids. I'm sorry if that "rage" offends you. I happen to get a kick when people point out how stupid and re'hashed the pokemon world is and the only thing continuing it on are under the age of 12.

The fact that Square decided to do some ass kissing for past ventures and only really put the effort on to a system which has a very narrow market (mainly beyond the fanbase it was originally purchased by) was extremely silly of them. Hence my point that no one cared when Crystal Chronicles only came out for the Game Cube.

You can call it "rage" all you want, but pointing out some pretty shaft to the player decisions Square has made in the last 10 years isn't "rage" it's simply pointing out BAD decisions they've made.

They've killed off almost every other of their franchises for the marketing ploy of Nintendos "Rehash it and they will come" strategy, and in the process release 3rd party developer titles which constantly fail as a whole. Infinite Undiscovery wasn't good and Last Remnant was PAINFUL. *Although damn if they didn't get textures done well*

And yes. There are those of us who were completely shafted by just how damn AWFUL the PS remakes were. Did you ever hear how mindbogglingly bad the audio was on those???

That's not "rage" sir. That's annoyance and disappointment and an acknowledgement of how bad choices were made.

And yes. There are those of us who were completely shafted by just how damn AWFUL the PS remakes were. Did you ever hear how mindbogglingly bad the audio was on those???
    The audio I could stand (don't remember it being bad but I am not a huge audiophile or anything), but those loading times. sweet baby jesus.
    Open menu? 10 seconds easily.
    Save game? I remember the CT port it probably took like 30seconds to save

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    The audio I could stand (don't remember it being bad but I am not a huge audiophile or anything), but those loading times. sweet baby jesus.
    Open menu? 10 seconds easily.
    Save game? I remember the CT port it probably took like 30seconds to save
    Well, I sort of sold it short. It was the FF6 bundle which had such painfully bad audio. They were basically ports over which did a terrible job.... just completely awful. And you're right, the load times were just mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    personally I'm fuckin extatic :P don't get me wrong I really liked 7, it's pretty much a gaming by-law you have to like 7...

but I fucking LOVED X, everything from Auron, to Blizzball, via the combat system, the summon and Limitbreak system to the omfg what are you talking about Storyline was brilliant imo, and I'm now considering buying a PS3 soley to get this game..... and Ico/Shadow fo the colossus :P
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The issue with FFX is that of old players vs new players. You could damn near draw a venn diagram perfectly on this issue. People who started playing games on the likes of the atari weren't to happy with the developments being done in the mid 90s and certainly didn't like cinematics making up for lacking substance. Where as people who only got into games due to developments in the mid 90's loved the changes.

Truth is, there is a decent populace out there who don't give a damn about pretty.... we're angry about Transformers thank you. But the fact is that is the way the industry has gone mainstream. On the plus side, there are more and more small time developers out there who are actually bringing things to the table.

And just to combat your statement as I've alluded to before, Transforms was utter shit... but boy did it sell well.
    Firstly my comment about fans directly relates the latest Transformers film series that has been made, it was shit because the people making it were and to quote several of them at various interviews "I'm a huge fan of ..." which meant many of their efforts was spent on trying to modernise a dated concept without actually bringing anything new to the table that would add anything and even somehow managed to stuff their own story line to the point they had a "robot heaven"-like moment hence it being terrible. I'm not saying this is always the case but it often is when there is no innervation at least to clear up any past issues ( e.g. who shot first han solo? or greddo?) or enhance the previous content in a meaningful way that ADDs to the original concept as a whole.

As for the older style of games I grew up on it, I loved it was brilliant but there comes a point where now I can and should expect a higher level of graphic content then just some flat, large pixel "dot paintings" in 2D settings or even just fuzzy faces and heavy lined polygon figures in 3D. To say a "decent populace" is happy with retro styled games then what is the point of redoing the game then? Unless there is something significant to be added changed to the game then it becomes pointless to do the remake other then to say we can.

As for game themselves I do believe that many of these smaller groups (e.g. ICO etc) have made some really good games that have been successful but there have been many good games that have come out of mainstream too. However bring old content such as FF7 forward is not always a good thing since it will take alot of effort to do so and it will be quite resource draining to do and as Transformers has shown us that when we do get old material fiddled with it might not go where we want it to go. The same could be said of this remake but lets see the result first before we condemn it all, personally I think that these remakes are a good start particularly FFX since it is starting from a higher development point and a higher standard such that it could fit quite well into a remade version and work really well.

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 11:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    personally I'm fuckin extatic :P don't get me wrong I really liked 7, it's pretty much a gaming by-law you have to like 7...

but I fucking LOVED X, everything from Auron, to Blizzball, via the combat system, the summon and Limitbreak system to the omfg what are you talking about Storyline was brilliant imo, and I'm now considering buying a PS3 soley to get this game..... and Ico/Shadow fo the colossus :P
    ^ This but like I hate how the made FFX-2 and ruined it all almost ...
    Last edited by skitzin; 2011-09-14 at 04:00 PM.

Firstly my comment about fans directly relates the latest Transformers film series that has been made, it was shit because the people making it were and to quote several of them at various interviews "I'm a huge fan of ..." which meant many of their efforts was spent on trying to modernise a dated concept without actually bringing anything new to the table that would add anything and even somehow managed to stuff their own story line to the point they had a "robot heaven"-like moment hence it being terrible. I'm not saying this is always the case but it often is when there is no innervation at least to clear up any past issues ( e.g. who shot first han solo? or greddo?) or enhance the previous content in a meaningful way that ADDs to the original concept as a whole.

As for the older style of games I grew up on it, I loved it was brilliant but there comes a point where now I can and should expect a higher level of graphic content then just some flat, large pixel "dot paintings" in 2D settings or even just fuzzy faces and heavy lined polygon figures in 3D. To say a "decent populace" is happy with retro styled games then what is the point of redoing the game then? Unless there is something significant to be added changed to the game then it becomes pointless to do the remake other then to say we can.

As for game themselves I do believe that many of these smaller groups (e.g. ICO etc) have made some really good games that have been successful but there have been many good games that have come out of mainstream too. However bring old content such as FF7 forward is not always a good thing since it will take alot of effort to do so and it will be quite resource draining to do and as Transformers has shown us that when we do get old material fiddled with it might not go where we want it to go. The same could be said of this remake but lets see the result first before we condemn it all, personally I think that these remakes are a good start particularly FFX since it is starting from a higher development point and a higher standard such that it could fit quite well into a remade version and work really well.

---------- Post added 2011-09-14 at 11:58 PM ----------

^ This but like I hate how the made FFX-2 and ruined it all almost ...
    Here's my honest unbiased opinion about things. While I'm more of an anit-fan of FF7, I'm that way because of the fans more than the game and its substance. However, truth is, if there was something that "should" get a remake or face lift, it is that game. The truth is, 90's 32bit did not age well at all. I mean, in the end I think Micheal Jackson aged better than PS1 games. And that's a good part of the problem with this medium. I don't think people really "want" much more than a face lift like they did with some of the Nes and Snes titles.

Now, truth be told, I too would love a good face lift for FF4-6. However, in all honesty, for some reason 16bit graphics aged ok. Due to the way sprites were made they actually survived pretty well. I think the main problem going forward is the fact that you're stuck with 4:3 in a 16:9 world and that's a little crappy. That being said, I'll take a rom which I can see over a shitty port to the DS which I have to cramp my neck and strain my eyes to see after 10 mins of play.

And honestly, I'm sort of stuck wondering "really how much money would it take." The math is already done, the over all design is all done. The dialog is all done. The story is done. The music is all done. You're really complaining because you have to go back and do 3d environment scaling? This isn't 1999 anymore Square." Hell, I've seen things people do in their part time for fun with WoW character modding.... you're really telling me Square has to invest 12 years to do a FF7 update? My ass. I still think they are holding it as their "shit were about to go broke" card.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think playing X-2 should have ruined your experience with X.

I personally liked X-2. I loved the class swapping the most. The girly shit (changing videos like sailor moon) I just disabled. I mean it wasn't a hard game at all (except for the 100 lvl dungeon... godamn you tonberry) so it was just a smash em up, turn based, all around fun game for me.

I really havent enjoyed any of the FF games from 10 on. I admit the voice acting was a nice change of pace from other FF games but it was so annoying I wanted to shoot Tidus, Yuna, and Rikku in the face. My big problem with them is how the games have become so linear. It's disappointing holding up and X the entire game. Then there was 12 which was not only linear but can also be summed up nicely in this penny arcage comic http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/9/8/

Then a few years ago at E3 they decided to tease us with

While I'm not a huge fan of FF7 it was miles above where the games are now. Challenging boss fights, the ability to explore (world map), and just overall well made gameplay. I personally would love to see 1-9 remade for PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanorgandalf View Post

While I'm not a huge fan of FF7 it was miles above where the games are now. Challenging boss fights, the ability to explore (world map), and just overall well made gameplay. I personally would love to see 1-9 remade for PS3.
    Could you possible change this to "It was exactly where games of the 90s had been for years and nostalgia dictates that makes it better than games now." These posts are really annoying when they aren't completed.