Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Why is a tie worth as much as a loss?

How come tying in a BG is worth as much honor as losing one? It doesn't make any sense at all

I guess Blizz has taken a you play to win stance on Bg's.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Deleted
    because you haven't won the bg obviously. this isn't a real life sport league mate. its victory or death. and a draw in this case, is a loss, since you didn't make any kind of progress.

A draw should be worth more than a loss especially in a rated matchmaking system because the system is supposed to pit two teams with similar MMS against one another, which artificially increases the odds of a tie at no fault of the players.
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because both teams need a lower rating, to face worse oppenents so they can actually play at the level they were at and not have a 40 some minute game. Helps you learn your comp better I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeleena View Post
    A draw should be worth more than a loss especially in a rated matchmaking system because the system is supposed to pit two teams with similar MMS against one another, which artificially increases the odds of a tie at no fault of the players.
    However then people would devise some system for tieing at the beginning, like emoting /bow, then both teams could just take a break or something and get free rating

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Because you both lost?
    This. If you did not win why do you deserve more points?

Yeah it makes sense in the game that a Tie = a Loss because you didn't achieve anything. I guess the compensation for you time is the honor from kills and achievement counts.

Deleted
    You get extra honor for winning, not for not losing.

Deleted
    Because you both lost?
    No, neither of us lost, which is my point. If we're fighting over land or whatever, and neither side loses any of the land they are risking in battle, this is a better outcome than losing said land, wouldn't you agree?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kewidogg View Post
    However then people would devise some system for tieing at the beginning, like emoting /bow, then both teams could just take a break or something and get free rating
    This really. People can just easily trade draws to get points/ratings really especially at very high ratings or 5v5s at 4am. Queue then afk.

Quote Originally Posted by IceQbe View Post
    No, neither of us lost, which is my point. If we're fighting over land or whatever, and neither side loses any of the land they are risking in battle, this is a better outcome than losing said land, wouldn't you agree?
    You didn't win any land either, so you both gained nothing, therefore there was nothing won. I.E. YOU BOTH LOST
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    you're not supposed to kill someone unless they kill you first. it's common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by IceQbe View Post
    No. You fought a battle. You had deaths. You now have wounded to deal with. You still have an aggressive enemy at your border, it's not safe to rest or rebuild yet.

If you go to war, and don't achieve anything, then you have lost. Simply put, you lost whatever you invested in the battle, and saw no return on that investment.

That is a textbook example of loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

If you dont win you should take a points hit. You are playing to win you are not playing to not lose.

Off topic a bit but how much can draws happen in a BG in flag cap matches the team that caps last wins so it would have to be a king of the hill where you both hit 2000 or 1600 on the same tic that cant happen often. Maybe some crazy SotA that you get the relic at the same time they did.
    Last edited by Alvito; 2011-09-14 at 11:59 PM.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dariela View Post
    No. You fought a battle. You had deaths. You now have wounded to deal with. You still have an aggressive enemy at your border, it's not safe to rest or rebuild yet.

If you go to war, and don't achieve anything, then you have lost. Simply put, you lost whatever you invested in the battle, and saw no return on that investment.

That is a textbook example of loss.
    But you still havnt "lost" whatever it is you are fighting over, seeing as the other side didn't win. Thus tying is better than losing. I'm not saying It should be considered a win, but it should definately reward at least slightly more than losing.

This is not the special olympics. You did not win, therefore no extra reward. You are lucky you even get honor for losing beyond hks.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because you both lost?
    i would say its because neither won.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

No one won, so essentially you both lost.
    ☼Tanks are the earth. Healers are the sun. DPS are the asteroids bouncing around the universe asking if anyone saw how they wiped out those dinosaurs.☼
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    As much as I'd like to screw every single one of you, no, we don't "screw the majority".

Its simple, to prevent teams to break the system and just play draws, for easy ratings
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathern View Post
    You get extra honor for winning, not for not losing.
    This, you get the bonus honor because you defeated your opponents.