Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

PS Vita battery life revealed

IGN posted an update on the PS Vitas battery life and some other battery related specs
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/119/1194435p1.html

Its not looking good. 3.5 hours for games, roughly 5 for video.
    Takes over 2 hours to fully charge.

Im not going to lie, this is a little disapointing.

Deleted
    Honestly it's a handheld playstation, it already sounds useless from the start. I'm not really surprised the battery life sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Honestly it's a handheld playstation, it already sounds useless from the start. I'm not really surprised the battery life sucks
    Beware of the xbox fan boys.

3.5 hours isn't terrible for the amount of power it needs, 5 hours for video is plenty of time. unless you plan on playing it longer than in your spare time (which is the point behind hand helds) worse comes to worse you travel with your charger and play while plugged in when you are near an outlet. hopefully the cords is long enough to make that comfortable.

So long as the library is more extensive than the PSP i will be buying the PSV. xbox, as far as i know, has no plans of entering the mobile market, and nintendo's library though massive is to child oriented for my needs. So in the end the only real option for more mature gamers is the PSV for on the go gaming.

Shouldn't be a surprise. Never get excited for anything from that terribad company, you'll just end up disappointed. (and/or have all your personal information haxed and made public)

It's a bit disappointing, but for how powerful it is it's not really that bad. I'm more than willing to bet there will be plenty of first/third party battery extension packs.

10+ Year Old Account
    How long did people expect it to last?

Battery power has not caught up to technology yet. Look at the juice smartphones and high-end laptops suck up. 3.5 hours in fine for playing in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Shouldn't be a surprise. Never get excited for anything from that terribad company, you'll just end up disappointed. (and/or have all your personal information haxed and made public)
    Way to contribute. As for the Vita, kinda disappointing, but then again Sony is really pushing the limits of handheld gaming. It's expected. Kinda surprising they'll release it with that little battery life though. Battery technology has always been a little behind though.

It will launch with two models. One for $249 and another for $299.
    2 hours to fully charge = 3.5 hours of gaming. Is this a joke?

10+ Year Old Account
    who even plays on portables anymore?

I'm really annoyed with how battery lives have been getting shorter. I understand that more powerful equipment uses more power, but less then 4 hours is terrible.
    I'm going to do some real damage!

Deleted
    Battery life is a huge deal-breaker for me. I won't even consider buying anything that runs less than 6 hours - if you cannot get a good session out of something before it dies; what is the point? That life is only going to get worse with every time you charge it up. Within a year you're looking at a 2 hour life - that won't cover the day's commute and lunch break. It's crap. I didn't buy the 3DS because of the crappy battery life and the same is true for the Vita.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never really liked portable, but seriously, 3.5 hours is laughable...

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    IGN posted an update on the PS Vitas battery life and some other battery related specs
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/119/1194435p1.html

Its not looking good. 3.5 hours for games, roughly 5 for video.
    Takes over 2 hours to fully charge.

Im not going to lie, this is a little disapointing.
    I never expected more...Sony has fallen so far from grace that I'm not even hardly bothering to pay attention to them anymore. Now that console developers can easily port games to PC I doubt that I'll ever buy another console, even handheld.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's about 2.5 hours longer than my laptop while playing games, and 2-3 hours longer while watching movies.

So, not impressed, but not really super disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nungamunch View Post
    Battery life is a huge deal-breaker for me. I won't even consider buying anything that runs less than 6 hours - if you cannot get a good session out of something before it dies; what is the point? That life is only going to get worse with every time you charge it up. Within a year you're looking at a 2 hour life - that won't cover the day's commute and lunch break. It's crap. I didn't buy the 3DS because of the crappy battery life and the same is true for the Vita.
    Morning Commute: An hour - Two hours
    Arrive at Destination : Charge it
    Lunch Break: An hour
    After Lunch: Charge it
    Commute Home: An hour - Two hours
    Arrive at home: Charge it.

I see no problem with your travel/gaming time. An when you are in a place like home or even at lunch at work, you just play it while it is charging.

Only time i see the battery life being a huge issue is if you are out somewhere for extended periods of time with no way to charge it, ie: Camping, At the Beach or even on a boat. But really, what are you doing playing video games when you should be enjoying the place you're at.

Deleted
    I think it cause both Nintendo and Sony both want to get there console out and selling fast and then the next model the 3DS lite will have a longer battery life built in. But no one on MMO cares about Handhelds only BF3 AND MW3

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    who even plays on portables anymore?
    I play my DS more than I play any console, but that's mostly because the DS is the greatest handheld ever and portability helps when I don't want to be in the house.

Deleted
    2 hours and 40 minutes to charge for 3.5 hours gameplay. That has to be one of the most retarded design decisions I've ever read about. Why cut corners on such an important part of the device?

Sony gaming is seriously crashing REALLY hard right now. At this rate Microsoft will eat them alive next generation of gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    the DS is the greatest handheld ever
    Gameboy was better for it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Morning Commute: An hour - Two hours
    Arrive at Destination : Charge it
    Lunch Break: An hour
    After Lunch: Charge it
    Commute Home: An hour - Two hours
    Arrive at home: Charge it.

I see no problem with your travel/gaming time. An when you are in a place like home or even at lunch at work, you just play it while it is charging.

Only time i see the battery life being a huge issue is if you are out somewhere for extended periods of time with no way to charge it, ie: Camping, At the Beach or even on a boat. But really, what are you doing playing video games when you should be enjoying the place you're at.
    So battery life is no issue as long as you remember to charge it everytime you're near an outlet? Neat, its basically a console that doesnt require a TV
    Not interested in handhelds anyway, but this isnt good for Sony
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a handheld playsation 3 it's not surprising that it takes a lot of power. They could probably use better/more efficient parts and make it cost 800 dollars?