Post 10m H Rhyolith Steering Issues

The group i'm in currently is 1/7H in FL and working on Ryholith. We have tried many many different things on this fight but we still arent hitting superheated before he transitions to phase 2. We attempted to 2 heal it and the problem we encountered was with the additional DPS we were much closer to pushing him but everytime players switched from sparks/fragments to the legs to dps him some, they ended up making him wildly turn, miss volcanos and ultimately wipe us since it is very unforgiving with only two healers. When the steering gets messed up like that and assuming we can recover then he's already walked over a ton of obsidian and gained a tone of stacks back. We currently steer him into volcanos until the 3rd spark dies then the other dps kiill fragments and neglect the 4th spark. This is usually around 4:15ish and we lust soon after to try and push rhyolith. He is almost always at around 40% with anywhere from 10-20 stacks of armor which seems to me to be in excess depending on our RNG.

I think our dps needs to be higher or at least go with the 2 healing which we could manage push him into phase two before the superheated starts to stack providing we have good RNG. Our Comp is as follows:

Tank : Pally Tank

Healers : Pally, Disc priest, Druid (or our 7th DPS as balance)

Steering DPS : Feral Kitty, Enhance Shammy, Frost DK

Spark/Fragment DPS : Fire Mage, Demo Lock and Hunter

The problem with steering comes when the spark/fragments are dead. Anytime the dps on those things switch to the legs he starts to turn out of control. I'm not sure if I should simply be expecting more RA about the turning mechanic or if i should consider the 2healing with the additional DPS focusing on the legs as well. That'd be 4 turning and dpsing him overall at all times. The addition of the boomkin makes it nice to be able to blast the adds back but im not sure how effective he is with it honestly. I've asked everyone to double dot both legs to squeeze as much DPS out as possible since it doesn't seem to affect steering too terribly but its less stable that way with 2 healers. Everything must be done perfectly no damage from stupid stuff.

Thoughts or tips? I'm open for any ideas on how to work this. Im thinking for the evening i'll have us 2 heal and test the 4 people "steering" but consistently dpsing Ryho and see how that works. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!!!

If you call a HARD RIGHT on vent, make sure your DPS that are helping on the legs know once it hits right hard, to gtfo the boss as hard.

a good way to do this is have all dps on right, then anyone helping stop and the melee switch back off and level, and then split to normal sides. predefining sides for rdps to help is important too. Try and keep their single target damage level so when they aren't working on ads/sparks, they can work on the boss.

Every player attacking the boss should know the intention of the leader/steerers and be ready to help level out the steering.

That is almost our composition lol, we also do 1T/2H, and have our enShaman/Hunter take care of right/left foot respectively and the Mage helping with hard turns. EVERYONE else DoTs up the legs and full time taking care of sparks/fragments. At 4:15, you want the boss to be at around 30-40% and definitely less than 30 armor.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

keep in mind your enh/feral will attack much more quickly than others and have a greater ability to turn him as it is based off of # of attacks and not damage being done.

Thanks for your help we were able to get it down tonight with lots of cheers and excitement. I think we will skip this hardmode from now on though We hates it. LOL

We had a similar problem but now follow some simple rules and 1 shot it every week.

Firstly - Make sure your raid doesnt complain about bad RNG volcanoes, it is a SUPER BAD habit to get into and too easy to blame. Once people accept they aren't doing it properly there is room for improvement. We truly went through a lot of this at the start and it ruined morale.

Anyway after people get over the fact they arent doing it properly:

1 tank - 2 heal. You'd need your priest to go holy for this and focus on raid healing with the pally keeping the tank up and spot healing people who fail at magma flow.

Have assigned legs for each dps like:

Left: Enhance Shammy, ARCANE mage, Demo Lock (mostly will be on sparks)

Right: Frost DK, MM Hunter, Boomkin (mostly will be on frags)

Both: Feral Kitty

Fragments - Demo Lock and Boomkin

Sparks - ALL range.

Stress this is a DPS race, so people want as much up time on the legs as possible. The mage + hunter should get use to doing single target dps rotations only as they may be use to helping on fragments - they should never have to hit fragments with a demo lock and boomkin blowing them up easily. Also the emphasis for people with DoTs should be to keep them up on both legs 100%.

Tank should be tanking fragments on the back of the boss so the AoE cleaves the boss and the liquid obsidium.

Anyway make sure the leg calls are clear and concise (preferably have the feral druid in that above set up making the calls). There are effectively 2 calls "Assigned leg" or "Hard Left/Right". Make sure the assigned leg call goes out 60 degrees early as people take time to swap and its always easier to correct him a tad rather than having him over turn.

Lust after the third spark goes down, which should look like this:

0:00 - Pull
    0:20 - Fragment
    0:40 - Spark (Arcane mage saves cool down and blows this one up, with all other range swapping still too)
    1:00 - Fragment - Should be MD to tank if spark is late
    1:20 - Fragment
    1:40 - Spark (Have another range dps blow a set of cooldowns on this)
    2:00 - Fragment - Should be MD to tank if spark is late
    2:20 - Fragment
    2:40 - Spark (Make sure it dies in a timely fashion, lust as soon as dies)
    3:00 - Fragment (Boomkin and lock still aoe these down)
    3:20 - Fragment (Same again)
    3:40 - Spark (Off tanked to the side everyone ignores)

By 3:40 we're pushing the boss now days and we're a 2/7 Heroic guild so by no means over gearing this fight, its just everyone knows their role.

Anyway thats probably about as detailed as I can be here, feel free to ask questions and don't skip it!

10+ Year Old Account
    the way you're doing it is fine, but I will offer a tip:

when the 4th spark spawns, have the tank pick it up, pop heroism and have EVERY dps on the boss (or his legs, same thing). Even with 30-40 stacks you'll push him to p2 quickly and then all volcanoes/sparks/debuffs will despawn. We tried this tactic once and killed it during our first night of progress. It's been a 1shot every single week since then (I normally do the steering with an enhance shaman and fury warrior)

I don't think your comp has Replenishment if you have your Druid go Balance. Does your priest have a Shadow off-spec? Druids are better healers for that fight anyway (conversely, Boomkin are better DPS for that fight than Spriests, but Boomkin don't bring Replenishment ): ).

With the way they've tweaked the steering mechanic, you should be able to handle it just fine with three full-time DPS on the legs. I think a large part of why your steering is so extreme is your Feral Druid on the legs. If he's putting bleeds on the legs (and he should be), he's going to swing wildly. They generally can keep a Rip and Rake on one leg at a time, which is going to mean hell for everyone else trying to control Rhyo's movement.

Also, we noticed that Rhyolith tends to respond much more slowly immediately after having stepped on an active volcano for a few seconds. He then snaps into whatever rate he should be turning at, which makes things a bit weird for a bit. It's something you have to get a feel for.

I also feel your Mage should be running Arcane on that fight (provided his main spec is Arcane). The Demo Lock and Hunter should have the Fragments down easily by themselves. The Arcane Mage should be able to virtually solo the Sparks with a bit of help from the other dps.

We have our DK spec into chilblains for the fight to help with the Obsidians.

2 Healing may feel dangerous compared to 3 healing, but it really largely depends on how well you hit Volcanoes. So long as you never have more than two up a time for more than, say, five or so seconds, you'll be fine. Provided your raiders aren't eating lines, the damage is never really dangerous, just bursty.

P2 is a different story, though. That absolutely sucks with 2 healers and is entirely on your DPS (though having two tranqs will be imba. Just be sure your Feral druid is spec'd to have a stronger tranq).