Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    I stopped raiding expecting my daughter would wake up and then i would have to leave the raids. but for the first 3-6 months the sleep most of the time and you have about 2-4 hours until they wake up. so technically you will b able to raid but a more flexible schedule. my advice would be try to get sleep in those times though you will need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well just keep your kid in priority of WoW and your good
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

I can actually tell you it's a game changer. I'm personally a new mother to a month and a half baby, and I took about 2 1/2 months off to allow myself to finish pregnancy and recover. Now she sleeps a great deal (as all infants do) and I'm able to resume raiding 3-4 nights a week for an average of 3 hours a night, scheduling feedings around raid. If she wakes up, she is my top priority though my husband does try to take care of the situation a best a daddy can. You're best off taking time off from raiding for about a month to help your spouse get set up during the baby times, it's pretty difficult and a huge stress on the woman.

Be supportive and do whatever you can to help. WoW and raiding can wait. Besides, its freaking Firelands. Unless you're working on Heroic Ragnaros at this point (and if you are...best stop before you have a baby) its best to take a break now during the lul and get back at it by the time Dragon Soul comes out.

I have a 2 year old now. Took a little time off when he was born to get into the flow of things. Don't listen to all these people without kids that act like they know anything. Just let your guild know what's up and love your child. The rest will work out. Don't quit raiding' it will keep you sane.

Anyone who is saying you have to stop raiding or playing wow is flat out wrong. So long as you can prioritize things you will be fine

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously, stop WoW. Normally I don't tell people to quit when RL stuff comes up because, quite frankly, you can usually figure out a way to make it all balance out. A newborn child, though? Sorry, but you gotta go. You now have the responsibility of caring for and raising a wholly new human being into an educated, rational, responsible caring adult. You're going to be a bit busy for the next, oh, two decades.

Please, don't fuck it up just so you can get some more purpz on the way. This world sucks enough as it is.
    Narfwak - Elemental Shaman
    <FH>
    Black Dragonflight-US

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rfwak/advanced

You will not be able to get away for any length of time with a new born unless your partner is available to watch over the baby the entire time you raid.

My friend stopped playing wow after his little girl was born, not just raiding, to give her the necessary attention and care.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    will depend completely on the kid. after 4 weeks, my daughter was sleepin 3-4 hours between feedings. Feed an hour 1/2 before raid, put to bed, feed again when over. If child isnt cooperative, give up raiding until sleeps through.

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Quit and be a parent. You'll just hold the raid up if they have to wait on you for X amount of time while you occasionally take care of your child.
    This. The 25-man guild I was in during Wrath had several people in it that were parents of newborns, and it really got tiring to hear "AFK 5 min, baby is awake!" or "AFK 10 min, baby got sick!"... I realize that there are priorities, but it isn't fair to make your guildies suffer because of your real-life. The fact of the matter is this: babies are random, they do not live on a schedule (more or less), there are times when he/she will sleep all night, and there are times when he/she will be awake 100 times, and I solemnly believe that it is better to not raid than to raid and risk having to go afk every 10 minutes.

I realize it may be an insensitive thing to say, but that's how I feel. Not to mention, I think it is important enjoy your child while they are young.

Quit raiding, both for your kid and for your wife. Your wife will be much more tired and stressed than you most of the time, esp if she is nursing the baby. You will find that she will need as much time and attention from you as your child does. This includes shared down-time when your kid is asleep. And don't forget to get lots of sleep yourself!

Good luck on the most challenging and most rewarding years of your life!

Xu

The ignorance in this thread from teenie boppers that don't know the first thing about raising children, parroting what they think a "responsible" person would say, is just laughable.

OP: After reading your post about how much you work and take care of your woman, I'd say you'll be able to pull off 6 hours a week no problem.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would not raid with a new born baby. I prefer people who are 18 or older, but have seen players as young as 15 who are good full time raiders. But a new born baby would not be very good. I don't think they'd be able to even use a mouse.