Deleted

Problems with portforwarding

Hey, so I've had my minecraft server for a while but I was using Hamachi instead of portforwarding and now I want to make my own CoD4 servers for me to play with my friends on but I'm having problems with the connecting. I have a Cisco epc2425 router. I've tried Portforward.com but that didn't seem to work. Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to portforward Call of Duty 4 and maybe Minecraft.

Deleted
    First of all, what OS are you using? <.<

You probably need to log onto your router and do it manually, I think sometimes your firewalls can block portforwarding? Or something to that extent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmmster View Post
    First of all, what OS are you using? <.<
    I use Mac OS X. And if you're wondering. Yes, I've been trying some youtube tutorials on how to do it. Didn't seem to work.

---------- Post added 2011-09-17 at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Potatowizard View Post
    You probably need to log onto your router and do it manually, I think sometimes your firewalls can block portforwarding? Or something to that extent.
    I did do that. opened the port 25655 or thing like that (Long time ago I tried) to do it on Minecraft.

If your modem is like the ones that internet providers around here issue to customers you will first need to forward the ports from the modem to the routers IP address. This IP will be whatever your gateway settings are in OS X. From there you will need to forward the ports in the router to the IP you have assigned on your computer.

Just writing up a guide on what to do... stupid chrome and errors on mmo-champ >.>

Deleted
    All I can suggest is phoning CISCO technical support and maybe they can give you some assistance on port forwarding.

Good websites to use to check are:

canyouseeme.org

That website checks the ports to see if they're actually open.

If CISCO technical support cannot assist you, they may suggest it's something to do with your ISP so make sure that they're not blocking unnecessary ports.

Good Luck!
    Jay

10+ Year Old Account
    So I take it you have done the following:

Logged in to your Router @ 192.168.x.x (may depend on country) and forwarded on both protocols @ correct local IP address (ie 192.168.0.1 or .2, .3, .4 endings).

You tried to forward ports through your systems Firewall (not sure how it works with OSX).

Once done so you restarted your router/modem and your machine.

---------- Post added 2011-09-17 at 04:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Haaro View Post

canyouseeme.org
    www.canyouseeme.org

Fixed your link
    -K

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post
    So I take it you have done the following:

Logged in to your Router @ 192.168.x.x (may depend on country) and forwarded on both protocols @ correct local IP address (ie 192.168.0.1 or .2, .3, .4 endings).

You tried to forward ports through your systems Firewall (not sure how it works with OSX).

Once done so you restarted your router/modem and your machine.

Do you need to restart them for the changes to start effect? That would involve alot of restarting if I'm testing diffrent things..

I'm not sure how it works on OS X either.

First off, you will need to obtain a couple of pieces of info about your routers config and some other bits if you intend to use the server often. (Also make sure your allowed to configure it >.>.. )

If your sharing your network with other hosts/servers and your not being assigned an IP address statically already via DHCP reservation to your server your gonna need to if you want your server accessible past it's next reboot, If it's just regular dynamic addressing your server may get a new IP from your router that wont match up with forwarding and the intended traffic won't be able to reach anymore.
    (You CAN be lazy and just update port forwarding dynamically to whatever IP your server is using from DHCP yourself when you wanna host a game if you like, the below is a workaround to having to do anymore work when you wanna hit up your server)

Check your routers Setup Basic Settings - Fixed CPE IP Assignment page to setup a reserved IP, To do this you will need the servers network interface MAC address and the IP you intend to reserve (Use the IP it's using already to cause less problems for now if you like)
    Guide to getting the IP and MAC/Ethernet ID on Mac OSX

Once you have a reserved address you can set up your port forwarding, Head over the that section from the routers menu.

The IP field for each of these ports should be filled with the address you reserved in DHCP for your server.

You will need to check what ports CoD requires and add them in (Theres a couple of different ranges by memory, add each on a line) and minecraft can be configured to use a port of your choice by memory - So you will need to check and or configure the server cfg file as such then add the port to port forwarding, Once you have them all in enable them as you need rather than just slamming them on all the time.. this could lead to problems with security if left open unnecissarily.

Once all the router config is done you will need to save changes and let them apply via a restart then make sure any firewalls being run on the server are also properly configured by opening up ports and setting exceptions, Once all done you should be fine with hosting and getting friends to connect.

Couple of people have provided links with sites you can use to test your configurations yourself, Give em a shot once you've done this and see how it goes. (Canyouseeme is an excellent one, will also display your WAN IP that you will need to write down and give to your friends who will use to connect).

All done, IP reservation parts are optional but recommended.. Otherwise you just have to jump on your router prior to hosting a game and update port forwarding to reflect your current IP on the server.
    Last edited by Klawz; 2011-09-17 at 04:12 PM.

This will be all u need. The site is really great and have helped me several times. It will take your OS into consideration, just pick the router u are using.

http://portforward.com/

and the one u want:

http://portforward.com/english/route...aft_Server.htm
    Last edited by Thoelle; 2011-09-17 at 03:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klawz View Post
    First off, you will need to obtain a couple of pieces of info about your routers config and some other bits if you intend to use the server often. (Also make sure your allowed to configure it >.>.. )

If your sharing your network with other hosts/servers and your not being assigned an IP address statically already via DHCP reservation to your server your gonna need to if you want your server accessible past it's next reboot, If it's just regular dynamic addressing your server may get a new IP from your router that wont match up with forwarding and the intended traffic won't be able to reach anymore.
    (You CAN be lazy and just update port forwarding dynamically to whatever IP your server is using from DHCP yourself when you wanna host a game if you like, the below is a workaround to having to do anymore work when you wanna hit up your server)

Check your routers Setup Basic Settings - Fixed CPE IP Assignment page to setup a reserved IP, To do this you will need the servers network interface MAC address and the IP you intend to reserve (Use the IP it's using already to cause less problems for now if you like)
    Guide to getting the IP and MAC/Ethernet ID on Mac OSX

Once you have a reserved address you can set up your port forwarding, Head over the that section from the routers menu.

The IP field for each of these ports should be filled with the address you reserved in DHCP for your server.

You will need to check what ports CoD requires and add them in (Theres a couple of different ranges by memory, add each on a line) and minecraft can be configured to use a port of your choice by memory - So you will need to check and or configure the server cfg file as such then add the port to port forwarding, Once you have them all in enable them as you need rather than just slamming them on all the time.. this could lead to problems with security if left open unnecissarily.

Once all the router config is done you will need to save changes and let them apply via a restart then make sure any firewalls being run on the server are also properly configured by opening up ports and setting exceptions, Once all done you should be fine with hosting and getting friends to connect.

Couple of people have provided links with sites you can use to test your configurations yourself, Give em a shot once you've done this and see how it goes. (Canyouseeme is an excellent one, will also display your WAN IP that you will need to write down and give to your friends who will use to connect).

All done, IP reservation parts are optional but recommended.. Otherwise you just have to jump on your router prior to hosting a game and update port forwarding to reflect your current IP on the server.
    Alittle bit confused but I think I might get it. When forwarding the ports, do I save them as TCP, UDP or Both?

---------- Post added 2011-09-17 at 06:39 PM ----------

I did everything you said. restarted my computer and my router and still Canyouseeme.org can't see me..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Alittle bit confused but I think I might get it. When forwarding the ports, do I save them as TCP, UDP or Both?

---------- Post added 2011-09-17 at 06:39 PM ----------

I did everything you said. restarted my computer and my router and still Canyouseeme.org can't see me..
    Normally you choose both protocols although some only required one of those two (either TPC or UDP). www.Portforward.com shows which port should go under which portocol.
    -K