Page 1 of 2
LastLast

30+ minute games --- sudden death

i just started doing arenas a little while ago, and have really been enjoying it. i've mostly been playing on my warrior and rogue (teamed up w/ a healer for 2v2) -- when we go against dps/dps we almost always win, but in games vs dps/heals the games often last 30-40 minutes at which point i usually give up because there's really no point when both healers still have close to max mana.
    my suggestion: most sports have some sort of sudden death if the game lasts too long, why not arenas?
    what if after 20 or 30 minutes all healing is reduced by 50% (or even 100%), or maybe dmg is increased (like enrage timer), OR.... like ancient gladiator fights... "release the murlocs!!" (adds could be released into the arena to make it more interesting)

i just think w/ the state of pvp heals atm -- 2v2 needs some fixing and this is just a suggestion. any thoughts?

I wanna say something in this post but I'd rather not, the trigger-happy mods will get me right away

I'd be fine with something like that, I always hated 2s and long games, however, I do believe (I haven't done 2s since wotlk) there is still a 45 minute timer in place where the game ends if it reaches that mark -- so don't give up at 40 minutes!

Deleted
    <infracted for trolling>
    Last edited by Stanton Biston; 2011-09-18 at 05:36 AM.

Not just 2's. We went into a match w/ double healers in 3's. Now we're not great or anything but as an Afflock I have no burst, the match went well into 40-50 minute range before we decided a 9 point increase was pretty much not worth it. Their warrior could do anything but kill my pet and then that was about it. I see the strat they have with mana burning the opposing healer into nothing until they can't keep up with incoming dmg but.. obviously that doesn't work all the time.

Anyway, long story short, yeah we need some kind of time limit w/ a tiebreaker (or just give both teams half the value of point increase) or something.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?
    Starting a Monk Blog; Celestial Fists: http://celestialfists.blogspot.com/
    Called Garrosh as end boss: 10/28/2011

I vote for Murlocs flooding into the arena and attacking everyone equally. >.>

But seriously, both the healing debuff and damage increase might be worth playing with, perhaps changing the % though. Or make it start low and gradually increase like the flag carrier debuff.

I'd say have it to where there are one shot kills in sudden death, but that would be unfair for certain classes. :P

Quote Originally Posted by sinisterwyvern View Post
    Not just 2's. We went into a match w/ double healers in 3's. Now we're not great or anything but as an Afflock I have no burst, the match went well into 40-50 minute range before we decided a 9 point increase was pretty much not worth it. Their warrior could do anything but kill my pet and then that was about it. I see the strat they have with mana burning the opposing healer into nothing until they can't keep up with incoming dmg but.. obviously that doesn't work all the time.

Anyway, long story short, yeah we need some kind of time limit w/ a tiebreaker (or just give both teams half the value of point increase) or something.
    At 43 minutes the game does declare a tie. Both teams take a loss, but at least you get the satisfaction of the opponent not getting a win.

I vote for everyone being put on a large battlefield at 300% damage, and the last one standing wins. Bombs will fall from the sky after 30 seconds and instantly kill anyone they touch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    I vote for everyone being put on a large battlefield at 300% damage, and the last one standing wins. Bombs will fall from the sky after 30 seconds and instantly kill anyone they touch.
    I'm still for the murlocs. It'll be like TBC again.

Or we could go oldschool and have it be Black Dragon Whelps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

At which point the team with iceblock/divine shield wins?

how about deathwing roasting the arena?
    Nelf Druid. Tank/Melee/Feral PVP. Dreadmaul

I see what you did there.

Something has to be done indeed, but healing decrease/damage increase isn't the solution.

I don't know what , but thats why I'm not a game designer

Deleted
    It would be great at 45-50 minutes to have a horde of unattackable murlocs that enters the arena and slaughter everyone without changing the teams' ratings

Quote Originally Posted by rasmil View Post
    At 43 minutes the game does declare a tie. Both teams take a loss, but at least you get the satisfaction of the opponent not getting a win.
    Satisfying like wearing new socks.
    But the best are those stealthers (or healers) who keep playing after their team mate died: 'whooo, I am so good I can stealth and waste my time since there's 35 minutes left and I should know that I don't either have a chance for a draw'.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm very supportive of the idea of a sudden death. Although I'd like to see it kick in much sooner than 30 minutes. Perhaps something like they have for WSG flag carriers where you get progressively more stacks of a debuff causing extra damage after 10 or 15 minutes. If 2v2s don't matter in Blizzard's eyes, I can't see why they should be able to last so damn long when most people are only doing them to cap points or have a bit of fun.

I'm totally for this if when they get hit everybody flies wildly out of the arena.
    Last edited by insmek; 2011-09-18 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by strechypants View Post
    i just started doing arenas a little while ago, and have really been enjoying it. i've mostly been playing on my warrior and rogue (teamed up w/ a healer for 2v2) -- when we go against dps/dps we almost always win, but in games vs dps/heals the games often last 30-40 minutes at which point i usually give up because there's really no point when both healers still have close to max mana.
    my suggestion: most sports have some sort of sudden death if the game lasts too long, why not arenas?
    what if after 20 or 30 minutes all healing is reduced by 50% (or even 100%), or maybe dmg is increased (like enrage timer), OR.... like ancient gladiator fights... "release the murlocs!!" (adds could be released into the arena to make it more interesting)

i just think w/ the state of pvp heals atm -- 2v2 needs some fixing and this is just a suggestion. any thoughts?
    I think your thinking too much outside of the box, Unless it makes tons of money is really popular and easy to program it aint gonna happen.

Might wanna look for that fun in another game
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Something like that is really not needed, the game isn't designed around 2v2, and it's barely balanced around 3v3 as is. The best advice I can give you for 2v2 without playing double dps is target swapping and forcing cooldowns to make it harder on their healer, also have you healer help out by using CC or even just tunneling damage when appropriate. When you've forced enough cooldowns and you either have a good string of CC's at your disposal or you notice that one of them is in a very bad position you can push for a kill. To be honest I've done lots of 2v2 and the most fun I ever have while playing it is playing double dps, almost all of your games are 5 minutes or less and they're much more face paced and enjoyable.

Deleted
    I think the murloc idea would be amazing,

Although I'd definately be more tempted to go with another healer just to see an army of murlocs going crazy, which I suppose would backfire and potentialy make more matches last to the 43 minute mark?

Deleted
    increased damage or increased healing both have its weaknesses as ideas.
    instead, the following would be more fitting imo:
    after 20 minutes, every minute, give everyone a stacking debuff called "Exhaustion", decreasing maximum hp and mana as well as the power of any absorption effects by 2% up to a maximum of 40% (reached at 40 minutes into the game).
    After that the game ends as a draw with no win or loss for both sides