Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Marksmanship Hunter solo kill Sister Svalna (ICC 10 Reg)

Sister Svalna is the mini-boss Valkyr at the end of the gauntlet which leads to Valithria Dreamwalker.

Initially mistaking her for gauntlet trash, I found her to be an exceptionally difficult solo kill, harder than some of ICC's real bosses. She has a boss ability that kills you 40 seconds into the fight. So, that is all the time that you have, and she has 1.56 million hit points. If there is a way to mitigate this ability without despawning her (and she is quite prone to despawn), I have not figured it out.

I couldn't tell you if this is a world first. Unless I'm missing some way to mitigate her special ability at 40 seconds, she is so difficult to kill that I would have expected anyone who had done it to have put up a video or something. I can't find any.

So yeah, big fat DPS burn below. Bigger than I'd imagined possible, until last night.

Last edited by mmoc71ce4d5ce8; 2011-09-18 at 04:57 PM.

grats on your icc trash mob kill

Solo vids pouring in.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Fix your mouse bro. That follow is annoying as shit. AND you should have your pets set up pre-recording, makes it look a lot more professional. Instead of switching through 4 different pets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by msbxghost View Post
    grats on your icc trash mob kill
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowe View Post
    this. its nothing special actually.
    Wrong.

Go try it yourself or read my OP farther than just glancing at the title.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexxx View Post
    AND you should have your pets set up pre-recording, makes it look a lot more professional. Instead of switching through 4 different pets.
    hehe!!!!!! This struck me as comical.

The pet swappage in the video is a specific thing relative to my hunter pet abilities. It's 100% pre-planned as the way you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    lol, it's a trash mob
    No. She is a mini boss who, when you are solo, kills you after 40 seconds.

I find her harder to kill solo than Marrowgar, Rotface, and maybe Lady Deathwhisper.
    Last edited by mmoc71ce4d5ce8; 2011-09-18 at 04:55 PM.

Deleted
    at least 39k or more dps without anyone to buff you, sustained for the 40 seconds of the fight?

Well, she doesn't have the hardest solo tactic around, but that is an impressive burn.

Also, we don't need comments on the fact that it isn't a typical boss. There's a difference between something like this, and an actual trash mob.
    Last edited by mmoc2e3dee3473; 2011-09-18 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    at least 39k or more dps without anyone to buff you, sustained for the 40 seconds of the fight?

Well, she doesn't have the hardest solo tactic around, but that is an impressive burn.

Also, we don't need comments on the fact that it isn't a typical boss. There's a difference between something like this, and an actual trash mob.
    thank you.

Barely 30k dps with a 30% buff...seems rather easy tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Lol is that your second MMO-Champion account or something?

It took you 41 seconds to actually kill her so you are wrong.

If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris.

As much as the mods hate to hear it, there is nothing special about this. Yes, you burned a difficult trash mob's health down very fast. That's all you did though. There's a gear threshold required for this and that is all. It doesn't appear to require a ton of skill (short of your rotation). I'm happy for you though!

Deleted
    its not 40 seconds, its a totally random number

it *is* a trash mob, lol
    Wrong on both counts. She used to drop an emblem, if you recall? She's a mini boss.

And I'd encourage you to get some experience with her before telling me what her cast time on this ability is. I checked it before I started seriously working on this burn. Every time I saw it, it was 40 seconds after she engages.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    As much as the mods hate to hear it, there is nothing special about this. Yes, you burned a difficult trash mob's health down very fast. That's all you did though. There's a gear threshold required for this and that is all. It doesn't appear to require a ton of skill (short of your rotation). I'm happy for you though!
    I was in the process of solo clearing trash in ICC to get Valithria Dreamwalker open when I discovered this unique challenge. The mini-boss at the end of the gauntlet, Sister Svalna, has strange characteristics which can make her an exceptionally difficult kill.

She has 1.56 million health, and 40 seconds after you pull her, she does a boss ability on you which causes you to be pinned down to the ground and have a spear sticking out of you. The spear sticks out from where you are lying, has about 175k hp, and deals a percentage-based DOT which is designed to kill you if it completes without intervention.

All of my efforts to either prevent the ability from occuring or to do something about it afterward resulted in either my death, or the boss despawning. This includes things like me dismissing my pet and tanking her myself (this made her despawn), having the spear hit during Master's Call and Deterrence, and attempting to kill the spear with my pet. Distracting shot was useless - she does not report as "Immune" to it but she ignores it nonetheless. Feign Death despawns her.

I tried everything I could think of to mitigate or avoid the spear ability, with the exception using a Beastmaster spirit-beast's heal to HOT myself right before the spear hit. I didn't have a spirit beast and also, I came to suspect that the boss was likely to despawn if I tried it.

I googled around and didn't find any references to Sister Svalna having been solo killed before. I figured that her problematic spear throw ability combined with her ease of despawning could account for that.

It seemed there was only one way forward. It was to burn 1.56 million hitpoints in 40 seconds while at the same time, keeping the boss on my pet via Misdirection and keeping my pet alive via Mend Pet. I put that into Windows Calculator, and it said that I had to do an average of 39,000 DPS for every second she was engaged.

In other expacks maybe this won't be a tall order. But right now, for me at ilvl 378, it's a freakishly high burn for solo (where I'm managing most of my own aggro).

So, I started trying.

A regular sort of burn wasn't getting her where she needed to go. I examined different pet abilities, tried different pets, went out and tamed another pet (a Ravenger), and made pulls to see which things got me closer.

The tank class pets were out of the question due to not supporting the overall DPS enough. A raid-style opening rotation (with hardcasted Aimed Shot from the outset) was unusable because (1) the encounter wouldn't let me pre-cast Aimed Shot and (2) it made for too-poor a utilization of the initial Misdirection. Pre-potting was incorrect for this fight, and it was bad to cast Rapid Fire too soon. For the fight start I knew that I wanted all of my trinkets off of their internal cooldowns and ready-to-proc, and I wanted my pet to be at low health during the fight so that it would do extra damage - but not to actually die.

I had some attempts that seemed to go strong, and those gave me practice in exactly the sort of pull I wanted. Then, that final attempt came and the boss died. She died very much 11th hour, during the split second when she was making her invincible spear cast.

My Recount did not keep up with the damage properly on that fight, but it was useful for examining the crit percentages afterward.

Barely 30k dps with a 30% buff...seems rather easy tbh
    Recount can't keep up with what is happening. The numbers it showed as DPS wouldn't have burned through 1.56 mill hp.
    Last edited by mmoc71ce4d5ce8; 2011-09-18 at 05:46 PM.

Deleted
    its not 40 seconds, its a totally random number

it *is* a trash mob, lol
    I'm not the one with high raid solo experience and the cutest unicorn ever for an avatar, but just tossing the idea out there: Maybe it's a set 40 second timer when you are solo or under other certain conditions?

Deleted
    No offense, but I'm pretty sure that Mione has much more experience on this mini-boss than you have

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    No offense, but I'm pretty sure that Mione has much more experience on this mini-boss than you have
    Yea I'm not sure anybody has as much experience at soloing stuff then she does.

Idk. All I know is that I consider that as a trash mob and I killed her while still wearing blues and certainly not under 40 seconds.
    It could be because off the pet then?
    Or the fact that there was a pet there at all, if - lets say, he never had any pet out, it could been different?
    Have you tried to solo her while having a ghoul attack her within the first 40 secs? That could make the change. Or even as unholy? But since you get registred as solo for the boss, it may not cast the spear.

Deleted
    Idk. All I know is that I consider that as a trash mob and I killed her while still wearing blues and certainly not under 40 seconds.
    Then she was definitely skipping the face-spearage on you. It is unmistakeable when it happens, and you're either in the graveyard or the boss has despawned when it is finished having its way with you.

Maybe I should have kept one of my many failed attempts around. The spear-in-the-face makes all the difference.

Edit:

One thing I tried was dismissing my pet at 37 seconds or so and tanking the boss myself for that spear launch period. She skipped spearing me when i did this. I brought the pet back out after about 10 seconds of this, put the pet back on the boss, and the boss despawned. She likes to despawn when you do funny things to her.
    Last edited by mmoc71ce4d5ce8; 2011-09-18 at 06:11 PM.

Deleted
    Then doing it with a pet triggering it makes sense to me.

Deleted
    Look people are saying that what you did is not a big deal because it's a not a boss, the only thing you require, apparently, is dps burst while in a boss you need, or needed before it could be solol'ed, to know what the boss does and what not, that's why it's not a big accomplishment and i too don't think this is something important my opinion m8 next time bring a solo boss kill and we will be happy, i think *.*