Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Cartoons were better back then because they are better all around.
    Not at all, a lot of the shows from the "golden age" of animation were really really stupid when you look back.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Not at all, a lot of the shows from the "golden age" of animation were really really stupid when you look back.
    All cartoons are stupid. Thats what makes them good.

You mentioned Adventure time in your other post, which is indeed a good cartoon, but it is just as stupid as others.

Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    All cartoons are stupid. Thats what makes them good.

You mentioned Adventure time in your other post, which is indeed a good cartoon, but it is just as stupid as others.
    I know, what im saying. A lot of people hate anything that wasnt made within the last 10 years. They dont seem to understand any shows made 10 years ago will give them high amounts of nostalgia. Shows never really changed. People grew up. There have always been really good shows and really bad shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always loved Courage the cowardly dog and Cat and dog personally, along with the old batman cartoon i can't remember which one it was called though. It was when bruce was old though with a younger guy taking over x.x.

I know, what im saying. A lot of people hate anything that wasnt made within the last 10 years. They dont seem to understand any shows made 10 years ago will give them high amounts of nostalgia. Shows never really changed. People grew up. There have always been really good shows and really bad shows.
    It's really mixed when I look back. Ren and Stimpy now deepy unnerves me now that I actually understand what the heck was going on every episode. I still objectively think Rugrats was a good show though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It's really mixed when I look back. Ren and Stimpy now deepy unnerves me now that I actually understand what the heck was going on every episode. I still objectively think Rugrats was a good show though.
    I watched Ren and Stimpy from time to time i think, it wasn't one of my favorites though. I remember watch Ahhh monsters or something, now that was a really odd show

My niece is almost two years old and her favorite thing to watch besides Barney & Friends is Looney Toons. Classic Looney Toons is still hilarious to me and she loves them. So much so that she'll start dancing when she hears Bug's voice. My favorite childhood cartoon would probably be Batman: The Animated Series or Doug or the classic Dragonball Z. Can't decide lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Cptmyname View Post
    omg OMG OMG REBOOT!

me and my sister used to watch that allllllll the time
    Mend and defend yo
    All cartoons are meant to be stupid to some degree, but some are just stupid and not funny. Like Total Drama Island, or Sixteen, or fucking Ben 10. Ren and Stimpy, Ripping Friends, Yvon of the Yukon are all REALLY over the top stupid yet they were absolutely hilarious. But seriously fuck TDI, Clone High kicks the shit out of that crap show. All these new shows they try to make teen-oriented end up being total shit.

everytime someone suggests a legendary that can change from 2x 1handers to 1x 2hander, all i can think about is this show:

I grew up watching

10+ Year Old Account
    too mnay to name here, late 80's to mid 90's were great for cartoons although sometimes corney and dated by now at least the animation then wasnt so abstract and so badly churned out

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    alot of the toons from the 80s and 90s were nothing more then commercials for the toy line, the first good plot driven cartoon i can think of was batman the animated series, then gargoyles, i think to many toons have been castrated, or were designed to be indoctrinate kids with lies and propaganda (captain planet).

Believe me, I have nostalgia attacks here and there, but I know a bad cartoon when I see one. Lots of old cartoons are really really bad, we chose however to remember our favorites. I watched a lot of Dragon Ball Z when I was little, and the Danish dub, which I grew up with, is horrifiying when I watch it today, I loved it back then though. I am Weasel never gets old though, same for Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog and many others. Most cartoons today just aren't made in that odd way like the ones from the 90's, the cartoons that we know and love, and ofcourse nostalgia has a place here and there, but you shouldn't be THAT blinded by it to not be able to see whats a good and whats a bad show.

Also, violence also seems to be more and more shunned by today's cartoons. I remember in Digimon one could actually 'die', and it was sent on Fox Kids, the channel which also send lots of other cuddly and cute stuff. In no way are anything broadcasted today for children allowed to have the very sight of blood or the possibility of something dying, not even kids' animes as Digimon was.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2011-09-23 at 07:54 PM.

Deleted
    Nothing these days even comes close to I Am Weasel, Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Batman, Spiderman or Johnny Bravo these days. I don't care if people say it's nostalgia, Ben 10 and almost everything Cartoon network and Disney Channel puts out these days is just baaaad, even my 11 years old brother rather watch the oldschool cartoon network stuff.

Gotta admit though that Adventure Time and Flapjack can be quite entertaining, much better than the rest of the new shows on Cartoon Network.

Deleted
    Wait how are the older cartoons better? I just recently rewatched tom & jerry on VHS and it's so retarded. Every god damn episode is about the same shit except they are in a different country/time. It's even teaching kids bad morals, and the animation looks like everything is made of some very soft and stretchy mass.
    wat

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh, nothing like "back in the day" threads to make me feel old.

I come in here expecting to see stuff like Ducktales, Tailspin or even the original TMNT at the earliest, and instead I get shows that aired after I was already out of high school...

Ed Edd and Eddy? Really? 1999-2008 is "back in the day"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonX7 View Post
    I always loved Courage the cowardly dog and Cat and dog personally, along with the old batman cartoon i can't remember which one it was called though. It was when bruce was old though with a younger guy taking over x.x.
    Batman Beyond. Awesome series! You should also check out Batman: The Animated Series for the early 90's. It does set up a little for BAtman Beyond but holy crap that was an awesome show. My other half has the complete Animated Series on DvD.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Ahhh, nothing like "back in the day" threads to make me feel old.

I come in here expecting to see stuff like Ducktales, Tailspin or even the original TMNT at the earliest, and instead I get shows that aired after I was already out of high school...

Ed Edd and Eddy? Really? 1999-2008 is "back in the day"?
    I got you...

Doug
    Ahhh!!! Real Monsters!
    Catdog
    Angry Beavers
    Bobby's World
    Tin Tin
    Rockos Modern Life
    Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
    Street Sharks
    Earthworm Jim
    Bonkers
    Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers
    Gargoyles
    Goof Troop
    Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
    Inspector Gagdet

Speaking about Ren and Stimpy, I was a fan of it back in the day when they were going borderline with content, but never crossed that line. When it was brought back on Adultswim, they took every chance they could and crossed the line. That's when I stopped watching it.

As you can see, I'm a fan of MLP: FIM, because I feel it encompasses many of the attributes that older cartoons (which I believe are better) possessed while giving it a modern feel to it.
    Updated (9/5/11)
    Current soloed content on rogue (Spec - Combat):
    Classic -- ZG (prior 4.0.1), MC, AQ20 (prior 4.0.3), AQ40 - Skeram, Sartura (prior 4.0.3), Bug Trio, Fankriss, Huhuran (4.0.6)
    TBC -- KZ (prior 4.0.3), ZA, SSC - Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Karathress, Morogrim, TK - Al'ar, Void Reaver, Solarian (4.0.6), Kael'thas (4.2.2), Magtheridon, Kazzak, CoT: MH - Azgalor (with trash) (4.0.6)

Cartoon network is an affront.

Looney Tunes, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Silver Fang

Ever since Pokemon arrived the media has realized that they dont need to serve children quality, as long as noone else does. Cartoons nowadays and the whole Disney channel concept has managed to set the bar so low that reality tv and Paris Hilton is now deemed "watchable" by an increasing number of people.

Wonder if I went back in time and visited my parents when there was only one channel (Good evening, its the television, lol) and told them that we now have 300 channels, but still nothing thats worth watching....

Personally I'm okay with that. Today's job market is shaky, but with the gradual zombification of modern children the only thing I probably dont even need to work to keep my job