Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Intel or AMD for WoW / D3

Yeah so I'm making a new post, think it's my third post about buying a new computer but it never happends (unexpected shit happening irl forcing me to push my new computer). However, I got the cash now and this it's really gonna happen!

So, my budget is around 1,000 Euro and I want to get as much performance / euro as possible. I've read around about Intel vs AMD but I cannot find any realy information on the comparance between wow. It seems to me that AMD would be better due to my low budget as the diffrence aint that huge but the price is.

So my question is; Should I get a AMD and then spend the cash I save on other parts? And anyone could link me or tell me some more info about intel vs amd when it comes down to WOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Intel i5 considered to be good for WoW? Personally I have a AMD Phenom II X4 955 and I find it to work well enough for me.
    Hi

Deleted
    Easily go with an Intel i5 2500k with that budget. It's not that small. Maybe a 560Ti and a P67 motherboard. 600W PSU, Samsung spinpoint F3 harddrive etc..

The very first hit on google: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    Look at the 2nd table for price/performance.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

10+ Year Old Account
    1000 euros is 1,367.71 USD just as a heads up. I was curious because I'm about to build another spaceship (computer) for WoW and was fishing around for specs and prices. Good to know that for a relatively small budget I can get a decent machine.
    Last edited by burkhartt; 2011-09-21 at 11:50 AM.
    ..........gtfo for now

I forgot to say that I'll need a windows 7 copy and going to let the store build the comp for me, so my budget is more like 850 euro :P

The AMD version of Intel i5 is about 50 euro cheaper, you don't think I'll get more performance by adding those 50 euro on like the gpu or something?

Deleted
    I wouldn't care to much about the processor since it's not that relevant when it comes to gaming, but spend more money on a really good graphic card instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlot View Post
    I wouldn't care to much about the processor since it's not that relevant when it comes to gaming, but spend more money on a really good graphic card instead.
    xDXDXDX heh

[User has received an infraction for this post. - Cilraaz]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2011-09-22 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    The very first hit on google: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    That was not what I was looking for, beside it's not the prices for sweden so it's completly useless for me. I was looking for a comparance of performance to world of warcraft with the diffrent brands. Thanks anyway

No, I know enough to know that when it comes to world of warcraft.. the biggest factor is CPU

Deleted
    Yeeaahh... Except for you know... WoW where any old gpu can run it just fine but a great CPU will basically define your FPS in raids. Yes fps in normal games in mostly determined by your gpu, as long as it doesn't get bottlenecked by the cpu but MMO's and especially raid environments are a different thing altogether.

Definately go for i5-2500k with that budget, the thing with the current AMD cpu's is that yes, they're cheaper but they're also about 2 generations behind Intel and it shows, if you really want to go the AMD route wait for Bulldozer, their new line of processors, I see little point in buying some old tech at this point when building a *new* computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, what kinda jumps out to me is the Intel Core i7 980X - 3.33GHz for $599 and the Intel Core i7-2600 - 3.40GHz - $299

$300 is a huge difference considering that $1367 budget (sorry no euro key and CPU prices in USD). My money would be on the $299 CPU.
    Last edited by burkhartt; 2011-09-21 at 11:50 AM.
    ..........gtfo for now

Deleted
    Intel processors are better for wow by miles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimpan View Post
    No, I know enough to know that when it comes to world of warcraft.. the biggest factor is CPU
    Yes, but what I meant was that I don't believe the difference between Intel or AMD affects too much. So if you're worried about the price, go for the cheapest one (still a good one, ofcourse!) and put the other € in a better graphics card.

Deleted
    What about this:

ASRock P67 PRO3
    2x4GB of RAM.
    GTX 560Ti
    Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge
    Corsair Builder-serien CX500 V2
    Antec One Hundred
    Samsung 1000 GB F3 32 MB
    Hyper 212+

if you have the cash the intel is nicer, at least on recent performance rankings but not by much.

pretty much a high end AMD chip is really really close and in some regards better. soooo.. on a 1k euro budget. unless you are going apeshit with some big SATA hd, and periphrials, you should be able to swing the intel... but if not the AMD is fine.

I've read around about Intel vs AMD but I cannot find any realy information on the comparance between wow. It seems to me that AMD would be better due to my low budget as the diffrence aint that huge but the price is.
    You can afford Intel based computer just fine with 1000€. If you have to pay full price for OEM Windows and monitor too it requires shaving off some pennies, but still i3-2100 will perform better than AMD offerings.

And when it comes to performance... Well... There's just no competition at all.

Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    AMD sucks ass right now.

I5 2500k for everything. Super cheaper for the performance. You can't beat it. I promise you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

That was not what I was looking for, beside it's not the prices for sweden so it's completly useless for me. I was looking for a comparance of performance to world of warcraft with the diffrent brands. Thanks anyway
    So.. you want the best price/performance, but when given a table which includes most, if not all, relevant CPU's with their USD price tag and performance sheet, it's "completely useless"? My currency is the euro aswell, yet such an article still contains all the info you need for making your decision on Intel vs AMD, if you put in some effort from your side.

Also

Quote Originally Posted by rubberduck View Post
    if you have the cash the intel is nicer, at least on recent performance rankings but not by much.
    I'd say 40 FPS is quite alot
    That being said, anything above 60 FPS is perfectly playable.
    Last edited by Arachnan; 2011-09-21 at 10:24 AM.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

I'd say 40 FPS is quite alot
    That being said, anything above 60 FPS is perfectly playable.
    Important deal with the chart above is that the scaling is relative. If your fps drops to 30 with i5-2500K in 25-man raid during heavy aoe, it will be 20fps on AMD side and getting dangerously near to having bad playability. And 30fps is pretty normal number when doing Ragnaros AOE adds for example on i5-2500K with 1920x1080 monitor.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Important deal with the chart above is that the scaling is relative. If your fps drops to 30 with i5-2500K in 25-man raid during heavy aoe, it will be 20fps on AMD side and getting dangerously near to having bad playability. And 30fps is pretty normal number when doing Ragnaros AOE adds for example on i5-2500K with 1920x1080 monitor.
    Except if you actually overclock the 2500k, which is easy, at 4,5GHz, which again is easy to reach with pretty much any aftermarket cooler, you'll maintain near 60 fps even during heavy aoe.