Help With Spec - Total Noob

Hi Guys,

I'm currently trying to play number of games - Crysis, Two Worlds 2, Gothic 4 but my PC is really struggling with them, running slowly etc. Now, Crysis, when it scans my PC automatically thinks my optimal setting is "High".

Now I understand for anyone to help me, you'll need to know my spec but I have no idea where to start, so, could someone (and I know this is a pain) tell me what you need to know to analyse the problem and then where to find the information and how to upgrade it.

I only want something that runs Crysis / Two Worlds 2 on high / medium "well" but I'm even happy just running on lowest settings with a high FPS. Even WoW on "Fair" only runs at about 30fps.

P.s. Im running Windows 7.

Thanks alot in advance.

My Awesome Sig Made By Shyama - Thank You!

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    please check the sticky, it will tell you how to get the info we'll need.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

As seph said, check the sticky. This could be a matter of 3 things though, processor, graphics card or RAM. Most likely Graphics card.

Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50Ghz

64 Bit Operating System

RAM 4.0 GB (3.25 usable)

ATI Radeon HD 5450

Is it necessary to post my Dxdiag for this problem or not?

10+ Year Old Account
    5450 really isn't made for gaming. That's probably going to be the biggest issue you have, once you upgrade that then the cpu is the obvious bottleneck.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    5450 really isn't made for gaming. That's probably going to be the biggest issue you have, once you upgrade that then the cpu is the obvious bottleneck.
    What would you considered the cheapest alternative that would perform at the standard I need? About to be unemployed after next week so am penny pinching!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The least expensive cards I would suggest would the the GTS450, GTX550, or the HD5770/HD6770.

10+ Year Old Account
    Culadin beat me to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XFX-Radeon...#ht_500wt_1156

Curious if this is the HD5770 model you refered to? Seems very cheap even on ebay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipper View Post
    What would you considered the cheapest alternative that would perform at the standard I need? About to be unemployed after next week so am penny pinching!
    Not to be rude but if this is really the case a slow computer is the least of your problems and should be dealt with at a later time

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Not to be rude but if this is really the case a slow computer is the least of your problems and should be dealt with at a later time
    No but my birthday is coming up and my gf was looking for ideas (we live together hence if I dont have a job it affects both of our bank accounts!) and wanted to buy me a graphics card, without spending too much!
    Last edited by Slipper; 2011-09-21 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    I agree with this. And yes, those appear to be the correct ones, although I won't comment on buying used products on ebay.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Good price, I just don't like used products, but good price.

Bumping this a I just got a £1000 bonus so am definetely going to push ahead with a new CPU or Gfx Card.

Just curious for anyone elses views also on whether the Gfx card or CPU will be the biggest problem?

Well, depending on how much you want to spend, you could fully revamp your rig.

Your CPU will bottleneck with anything higher than a 5770/6770. To get a new CPU you will need a new Mobo and new RAM, then a new PSU for everything and yeah... you see where this is going.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

15+ Year Old Account
    What any of these guys failed to mention is Heat? under load what are your temps. Also your CPU is fine to run those games on high so ignore morons that say that is your bottleneck. Your GPU could use some love, you may be able to pick up a 450 GTS or 5770 for around $90 if you catch the right time.

<User was infracted for this post: Express your opinion but do it without calling people "morons".>
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-09-25 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks for all the replies!

Went for a Sapphire 5770 Card and a 3.0Ghz processor for £143.50 in total!