Black screen problem - only happens playing wow

Ok so I haven't played at all in 3 months or so until this past week. I'm not completely sure when this started, but it was happening rarely for probably a few months when I was playing mostly every day. I can play for 10 mins or one hour, and randomly my monitor will go black like into sleep mode. My comp stays on, but I can't do anything except power it off and back on to fix the problem. When i was playing every day a few months ago, it started doing this about once a night or so and I ignored it because I had no idea what to do about it. Now that I've started playing this past week, it did the black screen about 3 times in 30 minutes once.

When i first got this computer about a year and a half ago I've been running wow at ultra settings ever since and this problem only started a few months back, possibly after a new wow patch im not sure.

I've read around about this and it seems a lot of people have had this problem and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas. And I really have no others pc games to see if it does the same thing on them. wow is all I play on pc but this problem never has occurred except while playing wow.

Dell xps 8000
    i7 860 2.8ghz
    8 gigs ram
    460 watt pwr supply
    geforce gts 240 video card with newest drivers.

Overheating issues?
    Checked / monitored temps during wow sessions?

Download a stress test and see how high your temps go.
    Furmark for GPU stress
    Prime95 for CPU stress
    Monitor temps while stressing

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Delete WTF / Cache / Interface folders. Install new drivers for nVidia graphics card. Run repair utility for World of Warcraft. Replace the GPU as it is dying.

Take your pick and work through.

Most likely your monitor is going. It could be GPU overheating. When GPU's go bad they usually put random pixels everywhere. When was the last time you dusted your comp?

Also, Might be your PSU failing you, your CPU + GPU drawing more power during wow hence the PSU fail.
    Shuts down your GPU, giving you a black screen.

Dusted out the comp the other day. I will try to monitor the temps in a little bit. Forgot to mention, this comp came with a 350 watt pwr supply. My other comp I haven't been using had a 460 watt in it, so I changed them out last night. Still get black screen.

The monitor is an old dell lcd from my previous system so I was thinking maybe its going or GPU is dying or overheating. I'll try a few of your suggestions thanks.

---------- Post added 2011-09-21 at 03:38 PM ----------

Downloaded Furmark, although I'm not entirely sure how the program works, it did some test and too be honest I don't know how hot my gpu needs to be. But it was getting hotter and hotter up to 115 degrees celsius then it went to black screen. Overheating? or dying? I've been out of the loop on computer parts the last few years so that may be super hot or normal i really don't know.

---------- Post added 2011-09-21 at 04:13 PM ----------

After looking thru other forums it seems my card is running extremely hot. And I keep the side panel off and noticed nothing else is hot to the touch except the video card. I'm looking at a decent replacement and found a gtx 550 for 137$. Not looking to spend a lot and I read the double slot cards seem to run a lot cooler. We shall see. Thanks for the help and if u have anymore suggestions feel free to reply.

Did you buy your GTS 240 retail? what brand is it (Evga, XFX, etc.)?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    115c should be beyond the safe temperature for a gts 240 by about 20 degrees I believe.

You could try an older revision of the video card driver to see if that mitigates some of the temperature but I have to think it is a dying GPU if it is cooking at 115c.

115c is your problem. You could try a couple things to see if its salvageable. Hows the air flow in your case. Seen some bad ones with only 1 exhaust fan for the whole case. Get some Tuniq tx-2 and reset all the heat sinks or cut a fan hole in the side of your case for some better flow. Its all time consuming and up to you. In the end its all a gamble and just buying a new one should solve it.
    Last edited by Redstripe; 2011-09-21 at 10:22 PM.

The gts 240 was in it when I bought the comp, unsure of brand. And yea the airflow isn't great but that's why I keep the side of the case off although I used to leave it on. I believe I'll just buy a new card as it's outdated anyways. And I'd possibly try to buy a better fan or 2 but I've never bought or installed one before. Only experience I have is ram gpu and pwr supply. Any suggestions on fans for a decently small xps case? I know there's a small fan on the heatsink and a small one under the power supply. I'm at work or I'd measure myself.

Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by brihole; 2011-09-22 at 12:33 AM.