Looking to upgrade

Right, so I'm looking to upgrade my system pretty soon (IE Now.) Gunna use the template from the sticky to make life eaiser.

My current pc is a bog standard Dell Dimension E521, with a few slight upgrades (Extra ram + HDD + graphics - GTX 9800)

Now what is it you want....

Upgrade or New Computer: New PC

Upgrade on what (you hope):

Willing to Self Build or a Pre-Built: Would much prefer pre-built, while I think I could build a machine myself, I'm pretty sure I'll fuck something up while doing so.

How much you want to spend: around £600, can stretch this a little.

How much you can spend: Ideally, same as above.

What all you plan to use it for: Gaming purposes - WoW, and some SC2, and when SWTOR comes out, that as well.

What Operating system you want to use & Bit: Windows 7 ideally, and 64bit.

What Resolution you hope to be in: Won't get a new monitor until after I buy a new PC, although could do, as such, 1920 1080 I suppose?

What Settings do you Want & how much FPS: Not Ultra everything, But I'd like to be able to run 10/25 man raids, with reasonable settings, and have between 30-50 FPS with out any issues, likewise with SC2

What Country are you from: UK

What can you re-use: Can reuse my current HDD's, but will have to do a fresh install of an OS, ideally, I can make do with a cheap 250gb HDD, and then just pop my 2TB one into the machine as well. Can also reuse ram, but would still like around 4gb, with the new machine.

Network will be wired or wireless: Wired.

Any Additional Info Here: I've shopped around on a couple of websites, and I think one of the best deals I've found is this - http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Veloce...00-94p1006.htm Customized to put in an i5 2500k instead of the i5 2400.

Any help is much appreciated!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    For a new build you won't be able to reuse the RAM since your old RAM is more than likely DDR2 while new motherboards will utilize DDR3.

The build linked looks like a solid build and within your budget. I can not speak for the vendor though as I have zero experience with them.

Hmm, I'll check the compatibility of the new motherboard.

---------- Post added 2011-09-23 at 07:20 PM ----------

Yea, it won't. But the build comes with 8gb RAM anyway, so it's not an issue there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at that build.....and doing a test on a PSU calculator, it's recommending 406W on one and 450W on another....I don't know if 400W will be enough. And I would upgrade the RAM to 1600 over the 1333.

Also, with a K level processor, you want to get a CPU cooler. I would probably go with the Thermaltake Frio over everything else they have listed.

Other than that, the build looks ok.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    Looking at that build.....and doing a test on a PSU calculator, it's recommending 406W on one and 450W on another....I don't know if 400W will be enough. And I would upgrade the RAM to 1600 over the 1333.

Also, with a K level processor, you want to get a CPU cooler. I would probably go with the Thermaltake Frio over everything else they have listed.

Other than that, the build looks ok.
    Yea, I was wondering if the PSU was going to be enough or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by devboy View Post
    Hmm, I'll check the compatibility of the new motherboard.

---------- Post added 2011-09-23 at 07:20 PM ----------

Yea, it won't. But the build comes with 8gb RAM anyway, so it's not an issue there.
    As with most prebuild computers that Graphics card is pretty crap. It's pretty easy to build a computer nowadays so I recommend you do so. If not I would find another build with better GPU. You can pretty much take that build with a better GPU and PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    As with most prebuild computers that Graphics card is pretty crap. It's pretty easy to build a computer nowadays so I recommend you do so. If not I would find another build with better GPU. You can pretty much take that build with a better GPU and PSU.
    Any particular card you would reccomend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Either the 6870 they have listed, or you could break the bank and go for the 560 Ti, which is a better card than both of the other 2. Do NOT get a 560 that hasn't been listed as a Ti.

The Ti is the 2nd generation of the card and they did some pretty decent improvements. Going less than 2nd gen is a waste.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by devboy View Post
    Any particular card you would reccomend?
    Something like a 6870 if you can afford it. If you built it yourself it would be much cheaper but if you don't want to I would get a 6850 or 6870 or 560Ti if you want to go over the budget.

Going to get assistance from a buddy that builds machines and sells them. Will hopefully be able to get all the parts, and build at a lower cost then what It would retail for.

---------- Post added 2011-09-23 at 09:06 PM ----------

Wanted to post and get some opinions on the parts that I will most likely buy. See below.

1 x Xenta Black Mid Tower Case with All Black Interior - 12cm Blue LED Front Fan
    1 x Sumvision 500W 20+4pin SATA 80mm Fan PSU - Retail Box
    1 x Asus P8H67 R3 H67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
    1 x G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
    1 x WD 1TB Caviar Green 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Hard Drive - 64MB Cache
    1 x LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials
    1 x Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Revision 2 Socket 775, AM2, AM2+, 939, 1156,1155, 1366 Cooler
    1 x Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDM Out PCI-E Graphics Card

---------- Post added 2011-09-23 at 09:56 PM ----------

Only real concern now if that will all be compatible.