Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need help with overclocking :)

Hey all was wanting to give my system a slight beef up. It's specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte P67A-UD3R
    CPU: Core i5-2500K @ 3.30Ghz
    Memory: 8GB Corsair (don't remember the model number)
    GPU: Sapphire HD 6950 1GB
    Case: Antec 900 V2

Now I only use stock cooling so I was wondering what I should push the CPU to, I did try 3.7Ghz before but being the clutz I am, I used the program that came with my drivers to do it, which ended terribly. If 3.7 is a good number I was wondering how exactly I do it using the bios, the only guides I can find are for overclocking it to 4.0Ghz which there is no way I can do on stock cooling xD

Also was wanting to overclock my GPU, I have a SS that shows it's current values (default) and was wondering what a safe overclock would be for it. I remember with the old drivers with my 4870 it had an auto one which went through and found the most stable for you.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you need anymore info about my PC let me know

P.S. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...ore-i5-2500k/4 Is what I was looking at for the CPU OC
    Last edited by Mega Gengar; 2011-09-23 at 11:45 PM.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

Quote Originally Posted by undead9 View Post
    Now I only use stock cooling so I was wondering what I should push the CPU to, I did try 3.7Ghz before but being the clutz I am, I used the program that came with my drivers to do it, which ended terribly. If 3.7 is a good number I was wondering how exactly I do it using the bios, the only guides I can find are for overclocking it to 4.0Ghz which there is no way I can do on stock cooling xD
    Such a small OC you can achieve 99 times out of 100 just by bumping up the multiplier from this screen.

Change the number from default 33x to 37x and you should be done and set. Just run some stability test afterwards like for all overclocking, and especially pay attention to CPU temperatures since you're running it at stock cooler. For small tweak like this there should not be any need to touch the more advanced settings and you should not experience any voltage related crashes, just potential overheating if the case airflow is not good.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    i've heard of stock cooling reaching 4.2s and maybe slightly higher, but you're better off not pushing it that far, as far as the settings, you can usually bump the multiplier as high as around 44x without needing to alter anything else, higher and you tend to need more, but each cpu is different

Thanks for the replies, will test this out now. Will monitor the temperature and such with cpu-z

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    i've heard of stock cooling reaching 4.2s and maybe slightly higher, but you're better off not pushing it that far, as far as the settings, you can usually bump the multiplier as high as around 44x without needing to alter anything else, higher and you tend to need more, but each cpu is different
    My i5-2500K would not go to 40x without upping the voltage, 39x was the limit.

Which reminds me I need to get back to OC now that I finally replaced the motherboard with a version that does not have the SATA bug.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Well did it to x37 and seems stable, will test it out in a few games and see if it gets too hot and such.

@vesseblah, is there anyway to see whether my board is one with the SATA bug? I bought this back in feb.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think mine managed 46x definately made it to 44x

and use realtemp for your temperatures

Oh hadn't heard of that, was using Hardware Monitor, but will download it and try it out. Anyone know what I should do with the GPU OC or should I just leave as is?

EDIT: Also is it worth running Prime95?
    Last edited by Mega Gengar; 2011-09-24 at 12:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    typically, for now anyway, you'll find little need to overclock your gpu, not sure how sapphires overclock, but evga uses evga precision and msi use msi afterburner to let you tune the settings on theirs (nvidias at least)

Ahh ok, will leave it for now then , thanks for that other program it's rather neat.

---------- Post added 2011-09-24 at 12:48 AM ----------

UPDATE: Well played BC2 for around 30mins or so and the highest temp it reached was 76ºC and the voltage seemed fine. When I last tried to OC which was with the crappy program BC would crash after 10mins or so xD

is there anyway to see whether my board is one with the SATA bug? I bought this back in feb.
    It is one of the bugged boards for sure. The fixed versions came to stores late April. On my motherboard the SATA2 ports stopped working, first Windows complained about read errors on certain files, bit later computer would just bluescreen if I tried to boot it with any HDD plugged into the SATA2 ports. Somehow it feels like the Intel's "5% will have problems after 3 years" was bit too optimistic.

UPDATE: Well played BC2 for around 30mins or so and the highest temp it reached was 76ºC and the voltage seemed fine. When I last tried to OC which was with the crappy program BC would crash after 10mins or so xD
    76C is a lot, but not critical yet. The CPU will start overheat protection measures at about 90C but that does not mean you should be running it at 85C every day. Normal temp with the stock cooler is around 55-60C so you bumped it quite a lot already.
    Trolling should be.

Hmm, should I bring down the overclock until I can get a better CPU cooler? Not sure of any good component sites in AU and not sure which cooler I should go for. Thanks

The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603) is a great low budget cooler, which will be fine for mid-level overclocking. If you want something beefier, get a Noctua D14 (http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=p...s_id=34&lng=en)
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Will order the Hyper 212+ on monday, thanks for that. Should I be fine to keep the OC or should I reduce it until I get the fan?

You can easily reach 4.4 or even more ghz with the H212+, as for 6950 I got mine at 950/1375@1.16v, was really easy to reach.
    Main: Shantál <Apex>- EU-Al'akir 13/13 HC since Feb 15th '11; 7/7 HC since Aug 18th '11; 8/8 HC since Jan 3rd '12
    Alts: Zeroday <Apex>- EU-Al'akir / Vitiation <Apex>- EU-Al'akir

Shantál vs Alysrazor HEROIC solo [click]

If you want to play it completely safe, save the OC settings in your BIOS and reset to stock values.
    I don't -think- your temps will cause any harm, but it never hurts to play it safe
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

Hehe yeah, should have my new cooler by Wednesday atleast. Then I will get to OC it higher xD

UPDATE: Well got a new cooler, went for the Noctua instead. My highest temp while under load was 54ºC which is a huge improvement. Would it be safe to go higher with my overclock now?
    Last edited by Mega Gengar; 2011-09-27 at 06:00 AM. Reason: derp

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    My i5-2500K would not go to 40x without upping the voltage, 39x was the limit.

Which reminds me I need to get back to OC now that I finally replaced the motherboard with a version that does not have the SATA bug.
    Wow! You had to up the voltage just to get 40x? =S That's rough.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 06:03 AM ----------

UPDATE: Well got a new cooler, went for the Noctua instead. My highest temp while under load was 54ºC which is a huge improvement. Would it be safe to go higher with my overclock now?
    What IS your OC at now anyways? I don't see you posting it anywhere.... honestly though, the D14 is a green light to shove the thing up to 4.5GHz+ if you can manage it. I know with my Zalman CNPS 9900A I'm comfortably at 4.5GHz with mild temperatures, never hitting 60 Celsius.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Sorry, I upped it to 37x xD. I wanted to try 40x but not sure because I don't feel right stuffing around with voltage settings