10+ Year Old Account

First Time Builder, Need Help

Hello everyone and thanks for reading this. I am a first time builder and I just wanted to make sure that my build doesn't have any issues with it and also I wanted to make sure that the build is sufficient for gaming with no major bottlenecks in it. Here is my build:
    HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Antec BP550 Plus 550W 12V Power Supply
    ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 Mobo
    AMD 965 BE 3.4ghz Quad Core
    G.SKILL Ripjaw X Series 8gb (2x 4gb) DDR3 1600 Low-Volt Memory
    ASUS ENGTX560 GeForce GTX 560i 1gb 256-bit GDDR5
    WD Caviar Black 750gb 7200rpm sata 6.0gb/s 3.5" HDD

I also have added to my build two extra 120mm fans and two extra SATA 1 cables. I was told my mobo is only able to support SATA 1, so if that person is wrong, let me know so I can get the right cables. If there are any upgrades that I can get for not much more money, then let me know, but for the most part, this is the top of my budget for this comp.

The motherboard supports SATA 3 according to your link. You board looks like it comes with 2 SATA cables, one of them being a SATA 3 version.

What is your budget. I'm sure we can advise you on a superior Intel build. Just looking at what you have listed and estimating your costs, going AMD right now isn't a good choice.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    The motherboard supports SATA 3 according to your link. You board looks like it comes with 2 SATA cables, one of them being a SATA 3 version.

What is your budget. I'm sure we can advise you on a superior Intel build. Just looking at what you have listed and estimating your costs, going AMD right now isn't a good choice.
    Indeed give us a budget to work within. Really high chance we can do a superior Intel build for close to the same price.

Deleted
    I would you that you're better of with a Intel Core i5 2500k and a Z68 Motherboard. Aswell as replacing the HDD with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. And you might need a 600W PSU. Not sure about that one tho.

---------- Post added 2011-09-24 at 11:25 PM ----------

And a budget would also be nice. Aswell as where you live.

his PSU is fine, i am running 2500k + 560Ti on 550W just ok, cool and quiet. 500W 80+ supply is enough for similar system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, my budget is pretty much 1k, but I need a monitor, keyboard, and OS($30 with student discount). I also have a $20 DVD RW in my build, but thats pretty irrelevant to the build. For my location, I'm in Ohio, USA.

15+ Year Old Account
    You'll stay within your budget if you change that AMD processor to Intel i3 2100. Couple that with a nice P8H67 Motherboard and your setup will be a lot stronger considering the newer architecture. It'll have better upgradability in the long run and superior performance compared to the AMD. I'm sure someone could post a fully modified build for you but you are basically good with just newer CPU and mobo, rest is solid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    You'll stay within your budget if you change that AMD processor to Intel i3 2100. Couple that with a nice P8H67 Motherboard and your setup will be a lot stronger considering the newer architecture. It'll have better upgradability in the long run and superior performance compared to the AMD. I'm sure someone could post a fully modified build for you but you are basically good with just newer CPU and mobo, rest is solid.
    He could just get a i5 and downgrade the 6870 if it goes over hes budget.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what he's intending to do with it. Stronger graphics card should benefit more in an avarage game, if it's purely for WoW though the CPU is a better option.

As an FYI Tigerdirect is located in Illinois and they have a superior shipping standard with UPS. I live in northern Indiana so if I order before 12pm EST normally I will get it the next day; even with 3 day standard shipping (unless on a friday then I have to wait for next week).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Depends on what he's intending to do with it. Stronger graphics card should benefit more in an avarage game, if it's purely for WoW though the CPU is a better option.
    I do plan on using this computer for more than just WoW. I plan on using this for WoW, SC2, BF:BC2, ES5: Skyrim, D3, SWTOR, and any other games coming out that might interest me. Also, my budget isn't set in stone, so if upgrading to the 2500k is well worth it right now, I should have no problem with it.

Deleted
    i'd also check around for prices online. i know that newegg generally is cheap, but you might find some of those items for a cheaper price. i'm assuming you're building it yourself.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekk View Post
    I do plan on using this computer for more than just WoW. I plan on using this for WoW, SC2, BF:BC2, ES5: Skyrim, D3, SWTOR, and any other games coming out that might interest me. Also, my budget isn't set in stone, so if upgrading to the 2500k is well worth it right now, I should have no problem with it.
    In general the i5 2500K will beat the AMD chips on price to performance.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty confident that i3 2100 would be enough for the titles you listed. Even though if you can stretch the budget as you said, the i5 2500k is arguably one of the best processors at the moment. Will last you even longer and is literally the best you can get.

Costs around $100 more though and you'll have to go with a more expensive p67 motherboard. Or you can get the regular 2500 and use the h67 board I linked. Difference will be whether you are confortable with overclocking or not. The "K" model is unlocked and has a potential of being overclocked up to 50% of the default, greatly increasing it's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post

[/COLOR]And a budget would also be nice. Aswell as where you live.
    I wouldn't buy that PSU, it only has 22A 12V rails. This won't be good enough to run midrange or higher video cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, after the suggestions and talking to a friend, I am deciding to get the i5 2500k and the GIGABYTE GA-Z68P-DS3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard. Also, is that correct about the PSU? If so, is Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply a good PSU to use instead?

The Antec HCG-620 is a solid Seasonic based unit. It's a good choice and bargain.

I would get this version of video card instead http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=606...r&promoid=1365