I'm looking for some sound software...

If it's even possible without a sound card...

All I want to do is something pretty simple. It's a 5.1 surround system and I want to increase the volume of the outside speakers (the furthest left and right speakers).

In my last computer I had a sound card and it came with a program that let me turn up the volume of the outside speakers and it would decrease the volume of the inner speakers, just by sliding something up and down.

I can sort of do that right now with just the windows settings. The problem is that in windows the outside speakers are already set to max volume, so my only option is to decrease the volume of the inner speakers in windows, and then increase the volume of the speakers with the speaker knob. I want to be able to increase the volume of the outside speakers without having to increase the overall volume of the speakers.

Is there anything I can get for free that can do at least this? or do I need a sound card? I still have the old computer with the sound card in it and could probably throw it in this one if I needed to, but would a 5+ year old sound card be an upgrade for a computer with an onboard card that's less than 1 year old?

There should be driver software on your computer for the integrated one... try to find it and see if it gives you the option to adjust that.
    If not then just use the old card... sound cards haven't been improving much lately so it wouldn't hurt.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The only thing it has is room correction, and even when I put in that the center speakers are 2' away from me, and the side speakers 30' away from, there isn't as much of a different as I'd like there to be.

Surprisingly, I just found the installation CD for the old sound card, so I might just give that a shot.