10+ Year Old Account
    They also did a remake of alice in wonderland, it was on my higher list of sci-fi channel movies as well, but i havent seen them put out any movies recently ive really cared for.
    with firefly if you dont really understand whats going i would suggest looking it up on wiki, having some character insight really helps you follow it.

I also enjoyed Reaper and even some shows two of the actors went on to seperately: Bret Harrison went on to do Breaking In (cancelled but I laughed at every episode) and Tyler Labine is doing Mad Love (romantic comedy with the guy from American Pie and the girl from Scrubs as the leads - which now that I think about it - watch Scrubs even if you've already watched it)

Tyler Labine is also in this gem of a movie coming soon that I can't wait for (Warning: Red band trailer)

ddue, see at least 3 episodes of firefly before discarding it
    "There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man."
    — Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle)

10+ Year Old Account
    wow that trailer was awesome, me and my husband just laughed our butts off!

best sci-fi: Babylon 5. the short lived Crusade spin-off had a ton of potential too, even despite severe network meddling
    Firefly had potential to be even better but sadly was too short lived to fulfill it's potential (but is still a very good show)
    Farscape and the BSG remake are also worth checking out

10+ Year Old Account
    I love anime so ill suggest sci fi anime.

Code Geass.
    Gundam Seed.
    Bacano.
    Full metal Alchemist brotherhood.

Anyone remember Andromeda? I know my mother watched but I was too young to care about it but I know she loved it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by penguirrel View Post
    i also enjoyed reaper and even some shows two of the actors went on to seperately: Bret harrison went on to do breaking in (cancelled but i laughed at every episode) and tyler labine is doing mad love (romantic comedy with the guy from american pie and the girl from scrubs as the leads - which now that i think about it - watch scrubs even if you've already watched it)

tyler labine is also in this gem of a movie coming soon that i can't wait for (warning: Red band trailer)
    omg must see!!!!1

Couple more I thought of: Pushing Daisies from ABC which is now cancelled but I think was well told told stories almost as if from a storybook; and Chuck which I haven't watched but my parents praise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguirrel View Post
    Anyone remember Andromeda? I know my mother watched but I was too young to care about it but I know she loved it.
    Andromeda was indeed nice, had the same actor as in Hercules.
    My favorite syfy series is sanctuary at the moment. It's with Amanda tapping(hot!) and I really love the style of the show. It has this certain atmosphere in it, with small stories for each episode and a bigger storyline that builds up over an entire season. And they don't shy from a bit of humor, but that's mostly a one-liner though.

If you haven't watched star trek voyager yet, I can also suggest that. It's a bit old, but imo it became really good when seven of nine joined the crew.

So far I've watched the first half of Warehouse 13, it's got a Torchwood feel to it so I think I'll like it.

Fringe is a great detective/sci-fi series. Once i watched the first episode i was hooked and watch season 1 and season 2 in a stretch of 36 hours.

10+ Year Old Account

I normally don't say things quite this closeminded, but your Sci-Fi fan license is on the brink of being revoked. You need to go watch Firefly. Like all of it. Even if you don't think it's the greatest thing in the world (like many do) it's definitely one of the most unique and genre defining series of the last two decades. A bit low budget, yes, but you'll have no problem getting past the awkward silent space scenes after the movie-length pilot and at the very least, first two episodes.

Also, at least watch 2 seasons of Battlestar. In my personal opinion, I enjoyed it less after those (while undeniably retaining it's stellar cast and amazing characters) the story direction just didn't interest me anymore. But really though, to not see Admiral Adama at his finest is almost a sin. Remedy these at your first possible convenience.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post

I normally don't say things quite this closeminded, but your Sci-Fi fan license is on the brink of being revoked. You need to go watch Firefly. Like all of it. Even if you don't think it's the greatest thing in the world (like many do) it's definitely one of the most unique and genre defining series of the last two decades. A bit low budget, yes, but you'll have no problem getting past the awkward silent space scenes after the movie-length pilot and at the very least, first two episodes.

Also, at least watch 2 seasons of Battlestar. In my personal opinion, I enjoyed it less after those (while undeniably retaining it's stellar cast and amazing characters) the story direction just didn't interest me anymore. But really though, to not see Admiral Adama at his finest is almost a sin. Remedy these at your first possible convenience.
    I plan on opening my netflix account tomorrow because I know a LOT of these shows people recommended are on there. I'll def give Firefly another chance, but you can't blame me lol, the first scene in the first episode does make the show look pretty old and kinda crappy.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you're definitely right on with that one, I won't deny it. Had it just been something I stumbled upon while channel flipping I probably would have passed right by it.

I never watched LOST when it was current because of things i had heard, but after running out of shows to watch, I decided to watch the first few episodes on netflix. Quickly I became obsessed, and I finished every season in just over a month. Definitely recommend watching LOST if you haven't been through it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dankestbuds View Post
    I never watched LOST when it was current because of things i had heard, but after running out of shows to watch, I decided to watch the first few episodes on netflix. Quickly I became obsessed, and I finished every season in just over a month. Definitely recommend watching LOST if you haven't been through it yet.
    Problem with Lost is the second season. For a show that was driven by mysteries and characters the second season did neither (they killed off all the s2 characters but 1). Still its a fun show, but not necessarily Scifi, I'd call it modern fantasy first.

Also if your going to watch BSG go three seasons in, then decide on the 4th (weakest season).

Also Forgot Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, best thing done with the Terminator License since T2 (Much, much better then T3 and T4)

10+ Year Old Account
    Damnit, they need to do a quality Robocop series.

... what? I'm totally not kidding here. The basis behind the concept was genius and needs an equally genius mind to expand on the idea and bring it up to standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Damnit, they need to do a quality Robocop series.

... what? I'm totally not kidding here. The basis behind the concept was genius and needs an equally genius mind to expand on the idea and bring it up to standard.
    Problem is the networks are afraid of Genre shows ever since the failure of Dollhouse and TSCC so generate an audience. Especially when mindless drivel like most reality shows are will generate a better audience for half the price of production