iMac (base model 2011) and Lion Freezing for no reason

Hi guys,

Again, looking for some help, my brand new imac seens to freeze sometimes when opening/closing WoW downloader... or even when I just leave the mac on during the night to download the game, i end up with a frozen table and the rainbow pointer at the screen. I am not sure if its a WoW problem or Mac problem yet but all MAC tests runs fine and no problem is detected, also the mac is not programed to sleep, just to turn off its monitor.

Any help?

Permissions and HD check runs fine.

Could be anything ;O.

You could try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if you need to get it repaired. support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Does the problem occur only when you leave it on? Does it get hot?

Did you upgrade your RAM? Do an extended memtest, try other 3d games. Sounds like a problem with your GPU to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam552 View Post
    Could be anything ;O.

You could try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if you need to get it repaired. support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Does the problem occur only when you leave it on? Does it get hot?
    It does get hot but not that much actually, even though i am most likely dont doing anything on it other than downloading the game.

I am not on him right now but i will run the test later tonight.

I read so much stuff about mac and OS beeing stable and reliable and after one month waiting for ther imac i get this, so disappointed. want this solved.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvorea View Post
    It does get hot but not that much actually, even though i am most likely dont doing anything on it other than downloading the game.

I am not on him right now but i will run the test later tonight.

I read so much stuff about mac and OS beeing stable and reliable and after one month waiting for ther imac i get this, so disappointed. want this solved.
    Which version of OS X do you have installed?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Did you upgrade your RAM? Do an extended memtest, try other 3d games. Sounds like a problem with your GPU to me.
    I never upgraded anything, its all about the downloader, i never actualluy played WOW on it yet becouse the downloader can never be there for long downloading it.

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 03:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Which version of OS X do you have installed?
    Lastest one, there is no version avaible to be downloaded anymore.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, there's not much we can tell you with the information you've given us. The problem could be many things.

But if you're running Lion, it may be a compatibility issue between WoW and the new OS. I'd suggest posting on the WoW Mac Technical forums.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2011-09-26 at 06:44 PM.

From the sounds of things, your downloader is stuck at the 'caching' phase which can take hours upon hours. I had this problem on my MBP. Basically I downloaded the client, started the downloader, let it rip, and the progress bar got nearly all the way to the end and then hung there. Is this what you're going through?

Sorry, but some of your descriptions are tough to follow. Press "command + shift + 3" to take a screenshot of your desktop to your Desktop. Or "command + shift + 4" to choose a window (will also save to the desktop). Maybe that will make it easier to diagnose.

You may want to post on the Blizz forums for this to see if tech support can help. I can tell you I have a 15" MBP (upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion), a 27" 2011 iMac (upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion), and an 11" MBA (came with Lion) and all of them run WoW 4.2 flawlessly.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronaos View Post
    and all of them run WoW 4.2 flawlessly.
    I've had issues with Lion and WoW.

Though it maybe because I had WoW on my hhd ad Lion was on my SSD. I switched WoW to my ssd last night so we'll see if my issues persists.

Honestly, there's not much we can tell you with the information you've given us. The problem could be many things.
    It only froze with me on it once, when i closed the WoW downloader and then i couldn't do anything else anymore. the rainbow pointer of death got there and i could not even force anything to be closed, i had to turn off by plugging off the force.

Other than that, was all the same everytime, i had the downloader running, and only it, the monitor turned off and it keepd running for like one hour, by the morning moving the mouse to turn on monitort, i had a black screen, the rainbow pointer and i could do nothing but turning it off again.

I've had issues with Lion and WoW.

Though it maybe because WoW on my hhd ad Lion was on my SSD. I switched WoW to my ssd last night so we'll see if my issues persists.
    Have you checked your HD permissions? Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, select the HD you want, and press the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. That can be a problem with multiple drives post-upgrade.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronaos View Post
    Have you checked your HD permissions? Go to Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, select the HD you want, and press the "Repair Disk Permissions" button. That can be a problem with multiple drives post-upgrade.
    Ya, I have. Checked everything. At first I thought it was a hardware issue so I took to the Apple Store and they did an over night diagnostics and everything came back perfect. Actually the guy was quite impressed on how well my machine did on the tests for how old my MBP is. >.>

Ya, I have. Checked everything. At first I thought it was a hardware issue so I took to the Apple Store and they did an over night diagnostics and everything came back perfect. Actually the guy was quite impressed on how well my machine did on the tests for how old my MBP is. >.>
    As i said, yes everything ran fine.

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 04:06 PM ----------

Its weird but meh... when monitor is off, when turning back, its frozen

---------- Post added 2011-09-26 at 04:42 PM ----------

What else should I provide?

Deleted
    Check for bad stuff

Check procceses in the activity monitor

Check hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Check for bad stuff

Check procceses in the activity monitor

Check hardware
    i did actually, maybe software incompatibility? so far installed office 2011, photoshop, ilustrator, persian codecs, vlc media player,caffeine app, starcraft and world of warcraft and adobe flash plugin, other than that I only have what comes with the machine, lion (lastest version avaible) ilife

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvorea View Post
    i did actually, maybe software incompatibility? so far installed office 2011, photoshop, ilustrator, persian codecs, vlc media player,caffeine app, starcraft and world of warcraft and adobe flash plugin, other than that I only have what comes with the machine, lion (lastest version avaible) ilife
    Ask around on the WoW Technical help forums, their more qualified to help you then we are.

If they cant help, take into the apple store. They can do an in-depth diagnostics of your hardware that you can't do on your own. The diagnostics will be free and so while any necessary repairs.

You shouldn't be having this much trouble.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2011-09-26 at 07:57 PM.

Ask around on the WoW Technical help forums, their more qualified to help you then we are.

If they cant help, take into the apple store. They can do an in-depth diagnostics of your hardware that you can't do on your own. The diagnostics will be free and so while any necessary repairs.

You shouldn't be having this much trouble.
    I am in Brazil, i rather try to find out if its a simple problem by my own, kinda afraid of giving it in an apple store and get back something not that well fixed if you know what i man.