Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Could be a DNS resolution issue. Try clearing your DNS cache, and/or checking DNS settings. Usually you want to set it to auto. If it's set to a static DNS server and it's a mobile laptop... chances are you're trying to talk to a DNS server that doesn't exist except on a specific network. Being that it's a company laptop, there is a chance it's set statically to their internal DNS recurser.
    Or just set it statically to opendns instead.
    That's what I always do lol.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Either browser hijack virus, or messed up too tight security settings.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Stay on topic people. The rules are very clear regarding brand bashing. Either try to help the OP or don't post at all.
    But... switching to Chrome, Firefox or Safari WILL definitely help the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by deadcore View Post
    mod warning - please don't brand bash. IE has its uses, as does every browser. Be constructive with your reasoning and arguments. ~Uggor
    IE has its uses, like previously said it :
    - will let you download another web browser ;
    - pisses off web developers/designers (IE6 days are long gone but IE9 still isn't as good at interpreting code as any other web browser, I won't even talk about their javascript engine) ;
    - and, well, we're done, that's all it's good at.

User was infracted for this post - be constructive and follow forum guidelines please. ~Uggor
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-09-26 at 10:24 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Go to :

Internet Options / Advanced tab and press the reset advanced settings button, then apply and restart browser.

If not working go Internet Options / Advanced tab and reset the whole thing (second button)

But ye for this kind of browsing i would recommend Google Chrome, smooth and stylish <3

You can find Internet Options in your Control Panel.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Eled. View Post

IE has its uses, like previously said it :
    - will let you download another web browser ;
    - pisses off web developers/designers (IE6 days are long gone but IE9 still isn't as good at interpreting code as any other web browser) ;
    - and, well, we're done, that's all it's good at.
    You missed something. IE9 is also good at convincing some developers to write proprietary activex controls which only work on Microsoft browsers and Microsoft operating systems.

User was infracted for this post - be constructive and follow forum guidelines please. ~Uggor
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2011-09-26 at 10:25 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Try reseting the factory settings there is some button for it in the IE settings I dont know where tho. If that doesnt work for ya try FF or Chrome as you said you cant upgrade it.

To all IE bashers IE has quite some good reasons to be used, cause IE doesnt get a major version upgrade every 3 months like the others its easier to make highly scripted sites for them and you can support them for a year or 2 without having to totaly rewrite site. Also IE melts beter in windows then FF or Chrome ever would.

But even for that I still wont use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philenia View Post
    cause IE doesnt get a major version upgrade every 3 months like the others its easier to make highly scripted sites for them and you can support them for a year or 2 without having to totaly rewrite site.
    Coding for ONE PRECISE version of whichever platform you work on is ALWAYS an extremely bad idea. If "highly scripted" means there is an extremely high chance for it to actually NEED support after a new release of the platform, then it's a design problem. Considering that IE is "more stable" because there are less updates is taking the problem backwards.
    Standards.
    They follow them, you follow them, everyone is happy.

Well.. I guess my comment is just another "non-constructive bash" ? Maybe you can't "be constructive" when you're being negative ?
    Our previous comments weren't particularly aggressive.. or well, it really wasn't the intention.
    Of course mocking IE is easy, but since it might be the web designers' #1 cause of suicide throughout the world, I guess it's ok.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    May I point certain people to a specific quote of the OP:

Since this isnt "my" laptop I am forced to use what they "make" us use.
    He can't use Firefox or Chrome. Stop recommending it as a workaround (dodging the issue at hand) or don't post. It's not constructive. :P
    red panda red panda red panda!

May I point certain people to a specific quote of the OP:

He can't use Firefox or Chrome. Stop recommending it as a workaround (dodging the issue at hand) or don't post. It's not constructive. :P
    I've seen that, but I'm almost pretty sure it'd be easier to convince "them" to let him use something else than "fix" IE itself
    Well, anyway.. good luck, you'll need it.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I've seen that, but I'm almost pretty sure it'd be easier to convince "them" to let him use something else than "fix" IE itself
    Well, anyway.. good luck, you'll need it.
    I've never seen an instance of IE not working with DNS resolution outside of Windows itself having a network connectivity issue in the first place. Chances are Chrome and Firefox will solve nothing.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen an instance of IE not working with DNS resolution outside of Windows itself having a network connectivity issue in the first place. Chances are Chrome and Firefox will solve nothing.
    I agree with this, 100%.

As a side note- some websites work BETTER with IE than chrome, depending on program used to create them. We have an issue like that with our local intranet here at the office. For some god forsaken reason, we can't click links on our homepage if we use chrome.

Deleted
    My post wasn't directed to anyone specific.
    We encourage people to have civil discussion, e.g. "Chrome and Firefox is better than IE because X and Y", but we don't allow any brand bashing, e.g. "IE isn't a good browser". Posting constructive is very welcome here, and I merely put up a warning to remind people of the rules:
    1. Absolutely no Windows vs Mac vs Linux vs Chrome OS vs OS/2 vs any OS flamefests. Civil discussions regarding the differences between them are welcome, but there won't be much leeway given.
    2. Absolutely no Intel vs AMD, ATi vs nVidia, or other Brand vs Brand flamefests. As above, civil discussions regarding the brands are welcome.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-09-27 at 08:03 AM.

When you get out of the school some day and maybe land a job in big corporation, be it McDonalds or Oracle, you will find out that there's no convincing anything. You get what you're told to use with no alternatives, no exceptions and no choices.

Of course mocking IE is easy, but since it might be the web designers' #1 cause of suicide throughout the world, I guess it's ok.
    Yes, very obvious and poorly veiled sarcasm counts as brand bashing too. And you'll also find out eventually that nobody in professional field gives a damn about browser versions, it's the hours that burn people out.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    When you get out of the school some day and maybe land a job in big corporation, be it McDonalds or Oracle, you will find out that there's no convincing anything. You get what you're told to use with no alternatives, no exceptions and no choices.
    Well, it was, you know, uh damn, how's that called again ? Oh yeah ! Sarcasm.
    "Convincing any superior at [whichever big company] is almost impossible, "fixing" IE (albeit IE9 is somewhat ok) can be considered even more impossible." Funny ? No ? Nevermind.

Yes, very obvious and poorly veiled sarcasm counts as brand bashing too. And you'll also find out eventually that nobody in professional field gives a damn about browser versions, it's the hours that burn people out.
    I'd like to present you some friends of mine that still have to code new websites with IE6 in mind because their boss wants it (with good reasons from a commercial standpoint, but it doesn't change anything in the fact that this browser has been a real plague for years now). They REALLY do give a damn.
    Oh well, I guess I'm done.
    Have a nice day !

[mod edit: I suggest you drop the subject. We donot allow browser-vs-browser topics in the manner in which you are taking it, especially as you've already received an infraction.]
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-09-27 at 12:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it was, you know, uh damn, how's that called again ? Oh yeah ! Sarcasm.
    "Convincing any superior at [whichever big company] is almost impossible, "fixing" IE (albeit IE9 is somewhat ok) can be considered even more impossible." Funny ? No ? Nevermind.

I'd like to present you some friends of mine that still have to code new websites with IE6 in mind because their boss wants it (with good reasons from a commercial standpoint, but it doesn't change anything in the fact that this browser has been a real plague for years now). They REALLY do give a damn.
    Oh well, I guess I'm done.
    Have a nice day !
    Which really isn't hard, mind you. (My site is compatible with all forms of browsers except a few I've never even heard of, and I'm a fledgling HTML/CSS coder.)