Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Xbox 360 HD Size Question

Hey all,

So a couple friends have been trying to talk me into buying an xbox so I am just now looking into it. I was looking at the pricing for it and thought the gears or war 3 one looked tight but Im looking around for the cheapest price. My friend recommended the 250gig but I dont think I would use it enought (the HD size) Could you give me an idea as to what the HD is used for aside from like my gamer profile and crap cause I probably wont play too many games so I was wondering if 4gig would be too small or perfect? Thanks

thought the 20gig was the smallest you could get or has that changed since i got mine? but you def do not need 250 gigs

250gig seems to be the common Xbox being release. Its a step up from the 120gig... Alot has indeed changed. WIth more games and more DLC comes larger HDDs. I have a 250gig only because I play alot of games. Your saved data along with any downloads would be stored there. If you don't intend on playing many games or downloading anything then 4 gigs is fine if you're gonna just keep it minimal. You can always purchase a larger HDD later on if you so choose. although I believe for the slim model its only 250gig, 4gig and now 320gig.
    Intel i7 950 @ 3.7ghz
    6GB G.Skill Trident Triple Channel RAM
    ATI HD 5770 x 2 CrossfireX
    750GB HDD
    160GB SSD

No idea I'm looking at bestbuys listing and it says 4gigs is the smallest. I watch movies and music and stuff on my computer but i dunno if that's too small and 250 seems a bit excessive so still looking for what it might be for?

Be warned the 4GB version is not a hard drive but only flash memory so certain games requiring a HD for online and such may not work, I'd got for a 120GB if I were you .

I would recommend getting the 250gig model, especially if you play a lot of games. The optional game install option makes the console quieter.

Is the 120 still around? Im looking for a new one on bestbuy and dont see one thats 120. And the only games I would play are probably gears3. But if you can just buy other HDs that would probably work out fine tough thanks I thought they were internal but I dunno anything about consoles except the really old ones I have still.

4gb and 250gb are the two sizes they sell them in now a day which is meh. i bought mine when they had the 120gb ones out.

personally i would grab the 4gb one, and just buy a hard drive for it. if the xbox's still allow you to swap HD's like they used to (i know ps3's swapped from swappable HD's to non when they went slim idk about xbox's) if thats a possibility definitely do that and just buy a HD that suits your fancy (60-120 would be my suggestion)

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I would get the 250gb, mainly because your other choice is 4gb. (they have changed it so you have 2 choices, aside from getting a "kinect" bundle)

The reason you would go with 250 over 4 is well, space. You want new maps for Gears? You need HD space. You want to save? You need HD space. You want to DL any awesome game and not worry about having a disc? HD.

It adds up quickly, and 4gb really isn't that much space.

As far as the special edition? It comes with the game, a 320gb HDD and 2 controllers. Were you going to buy a second controller anyway? If so, it is worth it over the 250gb model of the 360.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Ultramonkey View Post
    I would recommend getting the 250gig model, especially if you play a lot of games. The optional game install option makes the console quieter.
    optional game install? does that just let you play the game without the CD?

Quote Originally Posted by ignit3e View Post
    optional game install? does that just let you play the game without the CD?
    The disc still needs to be in the tray, but it reads all the data from the HDD.

Don't forget the instal game onto hard drive option.

You still need to put the disc in to launch the game, but after that, the game will read the data off the drive stead of the disc.

It makes loading time significantly faster, and it'll prevent most scratches done to your disc while the game's running.

The only downside is that one typical disc install costs 8~12 gigs of space, but you can always delete the games you don't think you'll be touching anytime soon.
    Last edited by cywang86; 2011-09-27 at 05:44 AM. Reason: and someone beat me to it!

Cool might get the an xtra controller now too so many options! But thanks for all the input. Is the combo with everything the best buy? I presume it is as most bundles are (assuming I want the xtra controller)

Well, I personally think that the 4gig is a waste of money, obviously it holds your saves and what not. But if you plan on buying DLC and stuff then you might have a problem cause DLC takes up gigs of memory. So yeah I would save up for the 250gig if I were you.

250gb is a little excessive but if you ever have a desire to download content/play online or save multiple games on your system, you need more then 4gb. 4gb would give you maybe 4-5 games max saves and absolutely no substantial downloaded content. If you looking for something cheap, get the 4gb xbox and purchase a cheap flash drive and use that as your hd. You can get a 32gb flash drive for a few dollars and it's pretty much just plug and play (the xbox should automatically format the hd when you plug it in). I know a lot of people that got the 4gb xbox just to hook up a stationary 1tb hd to the xbox for more storage.
    NZXT Phantom
    ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 | I5 2500k | EVGA GTX 560 TI
    8gb Corsair Vengence | 60gb Agility3 SSD | 1tb Seagate 7200rpm

There are alot of Bundles. Most that come with two controllers come with a game. The current bundles I know of atm are the Gears of War 3 and Modern Warfare 3, but those are 320gig systems. As I do recommend the 250 as well. Installing will allow some games to run smoother overall with quicker load times. You still need the disc but speeds up the process a bit which is nice. Another good note is that these slim models are more stable then its predecessors. Id say do some browsing and see what you can find.
    Intel i7 950 @ 3.7ghz
    6GB G.Skill Trident Triple Channel RAM
    ATI HD 5770 x 2 CrossfireX
    750GB HDD
    160GB SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by ignit3e View Post
    Cool might get the an xtra controller now too so many options! But thanks for all the input. Is the combo with everything the best buy? I presume it is as most bundles are (assuming I want the xtra controller)
    You save approximately $20, 10 from the game and 10 from the controller, with 70gb extra space on the HDD. I would say this is the best deal, if you want the extra controller of course. (which I actually do like, because if you get the recharge packs, you can have one sitting ready to go when the one you are using goes out, and then charge the original one when it goes out and cycle them back and forth)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Go big or go home, or you'll end up buying a new hard-drive in the future. Save the time

Honestly, i have the 20gb one. Ive had it for years and ive not needed to upgrade. I have map packs for Halo 3, GoW 2 and Black Ops. A bunch of Arcade titles, and i still havnt hit the cap yet.

Sure you do have to delete a few Arcade games that you have beaten but you can easily get them back whenever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    Honestly, i have the 20gb one. Ive had it for years and ive not needed to upgrade. I have map packs for Halo 3, GoW 2 and Black Ops. A bunch of Arcade titles, and i still havnt hit the cap yet.

Sure you do have to delete a few Arcade games that you have beaten but you can easily get them back whenever you want.
    Same for me and my husband. Plenty of room as long as you aren't installing full games and storing movies, etc. The bigger issue I think is that unless I am mistaken there's no comparable slim model to the old 20gb one. So you're pretty much left with 4gb flash memory or 250-320gb with no in between. Or you can look for a refurbished old model...but then you also need to buy wireless or run an ethernet cable. So while I would rather have a 360s with 20gb, I'd probably go ahead and get the 250 gb slim or one of the bundles if you like the games and extra controller.