Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I would shy away from the OCZ. They tend to go stupid within a year and from reading the OCZ forums even the company isn't quite sure why. Mine lasted 4 months, and then would randomly lock up the cpu for 60-80 seconds at a pop. Not fun.

Deleted
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148442 (if you can get one at your site)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185 (if you can get one at your site, obviously go bigger if you feel the need)

Then you're set.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148442 (if you can get one at your site)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152185 (if you can get one at your site, obviously go bigger if you feel the need)

Then you're set.
    They don't sell Crucial..
    They do sell that Samsung disk however. I've read up on the WD disk and people say that it's quite loud compared to other disks, so I might take the Spinpoint.
    It's like half the price as well, which leaves room for a larger SSD.

I have no clue which SSD to pick now. People tell me to stay away from OCZ in general, other say it's just the Vertex/Agility 3, and that the 2 works fine.

I've read up on the Intel 320 SSD's ( which are the only intels available at Misco ), and they seem to have a weird bug where if you power it off in a wrong way, it will seem to think it only has 8MB free space.

And I think Corsair uses the same controller as the OCZ ones?

EDIT:
    Also, I'm quite confused. I have a SATA300 Motherboard, but people tell me I can use a SATA 600 SSD as well, it just isn't optimized for it? Which means that it's worse than using a SATA300?
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2011-09-28 at 09:12 AM.

Deleted
    I imagine it means that it's backwards compatible, I doubt you would lose performance.

http://www.misco.nl/Product/974447/C...0GB-2-5i-Solid // http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233191

(Corsair 120GB)

I think the Spinpoint is better for sound yes, for the reglar HDD.

If you have a SATA-300 motherboard you can pick whichever you like, the SATA-600 will work just as well, but if they cost more, there is no point, since you won't use the possible extra speed.

I use an old Intel X-25 80GB myself, and yeah Windows 7 plus WoW does take up most of it, about 60-65GB so a 120GB is a good size.
    In the darkness all cats are gray...
    www.onyxsoft.se - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better =)

Deleted
    I imagine it means that it's backwards compatible, I doubt you would lose performance.

http://www.misco.nl/Product/974447/C...0GB-2-5i-Solid // http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233191

(Corsair 120GB)
    Doesn't Corsair use the same Sandforce controller that OCZ is using? ( Which everyone is trying to avoid? )

Deleted
    Yes Corsair uses Sandforce controller, seems like the Corsair is more stable for whatever reason compared to OCZ. Read the reviews .

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...ware-face-of/1

Which is why I recommend Cruicial or Intel (Marvell). The Intel is just more expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Crucial M4 120GB and I'm very impressed. My computer is on the desktop about 15seconds after pressing the power button

No issues so far, it has my recommendation.

I would wait til November for Intel 520 series. 25nm process successor of the 510. Intel claims it's going to be the fastest of all current SSDs...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    I would wait til November for Intel 520 series. 25nm process successor of the 510. Intel claims it's going to be the fastest of all current SSDs...
    Especially if money is no issue. Budget wise I'm not sure it fits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    They don't sell Crucial..
    They do sell that Samsung disk however. I've read up on the WD disk and people say that it's quite loud compared to other disks, so I might take the Spinpoint.
    It's like half the price as well, which leaves room for a larger SSD.

I have no clue which SSD to pick now. People tell me to stay away from OCZ in general, other say it's just the Vertex/Agility 3, and that the 2 works fine.

I've read up on the Intel 320 SSD's ( which are the only intels available at Misco ), and they seem to have a weird bug where if you power it off in a wrong way, it will seem to think it only has 8MB free space.

EDIT:
    Also, I'm quite confused. I have a SATA300 Motherboard, but people tell me I can use a SATA 600 SSD as well, it just isn't optimized for it? Which means that it's worse than using a SATA300?
    It isn't just the Agility/Vertex 3 series for OCZ. All OCZ drives are plagued with some kind of problem. Someone was saying that OCZ was great because they release so many firmware updates to keep things running smoothly....when it should be obvious that the multiple firmware updates show a pretty serious problem.

The Intel 320 series is still pretty decent, but not anywhere near the 510 series, I hear. Everything has its kinks.

And yes, SSD drives are backwards compatible. A SATA 6.0 SSD drive WILL work on a SATA 3.0 connection. But the speeds it gets will be almost halved.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid OCZ. If you can get a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, do so. They actually have better reviews than the WD Caviar Black does.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account

It's been issues on SSD's with the SF-22xx controller overall, but OCZ got placed in many unhappy customers' black book of companies with bad customer relations. Corsair made a product recall of all their faulty SSDs while OCZ at first didn't want to admit fault and then went through a hell of a lot of firmware "fixes" that didn't seem to always fix the issues.
    It's been fixed! Tbh Intel 320 sounds perfect for you as you stated your SATA transfer speed below.

Yes.
    EDIT:
    The naming conventions for the standards are are SATA 1.5 Gb/s 3 Gb/s and 6 Gb/s. I assume you mean 3 Gb/s. You won't gain much by going for an SSD over what your mobo can handle. You should however not have any compability issues with the SSDs designed for a faster interface.

Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Though the 25nm part usually just means in theory shorter lifespan (you'll likely throw it in a trashcan before enough cells die). The 25nm flash cells aren't "faster" AFAIK (though cheaper to produce). Speed is probably going to be achieved through an improved controller and/or firmware.

I keep getting errors on MMO-C when typing on the forums, and this time I wasn't able to recover my post. Since I don't really wish to redo the entire post, so I'll keep it as extremely to the point as possible.

http://www.misco.nl/Product/948976/S...-2-TB-SATA-300
    € 54,95 Excl. BTW, leaving roughly 200 euro for the SSD.
    If you're interested in the HDD as a storage device (incl. stuff like streaming, Frapsing, or whatever), I suggest this one over F3 or Caviar Black, which are more of performance drives. There's no drawback of having a storage HDD that can be quiet, cool (relatively speaking), and draw less juice. There's plenty of reviews and benchmarks on it, just google them (I had them linked in my original post with descriptions, etc, but they're easy to find). Its performance is amazing all things considering.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    I keep getting errors on MMO-C when typing on the forums, and this time I wasn't able to recover my post. Since I don't really wish to redo the entire post, so I'll keep it as extremely to the point as possible.

If you're interested in the HDD as a storage device (incl. stuff like streaming, Frapsing, or whatever), I suggest this one over F3 or Caviar Black, which are more of performance drives. There's no drawback of having a storage HDD that can be quiet, cool (relatively speaking), and draw less juice. There's plenty of reviews and benchmarks on it, just google them (I had them linked in my original post with descriptions, etc, but they're easy to find). Its performance is amazing all things considering.
    It's happened to me a few times and for me it was Flash related crashes (using Chrome) I loaded IE9 (eww) and it was fine. Sorry for the OT comment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post

You get 1TB more, uses less power, it's less noisy and gets less warm? And all that for the same price? That thing must have some downside compared to the F3?

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 07:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    It's been issues on SSD's with the SF-22xx controller overall, but OCZ got placed in many unhappy customers' black book of companies with bad customer relations. Corsair made a product recall of all their faulty SSDs while OCZ at first didn't want to admit fault and then went through a hell of a lot of firmware "fixes" that didn't seem to always fix the issues.
    Ah alright!

It's been fixed! Tbh Intel 320 sounds perfect for you as you stated your SATA transfer speed below.
    Sounds like the Intel SSD's are the only one my supplier sells at the moment without any known problems! :P

Deleted
    You get 1TB more, uses less power, it's less noisy and gets less warm? And all that for the same price? That thing must have some downside compared to the F3?

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 07:41 AM ----------

Ah alright!

Sounds like the Intel SSD's are the only one my supplier sells at the moment without any known problems! :P
    Yes it's EcoGreen 5400 RPM, it's slow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it's EcoGreen 5400 RPM, it's slow.
    If he is getting a large size SSD... then a slow HDD will really not affect him at all. You have to think, the only things he'll really use this HDD for is to um, well, maybe save college or whatever papers too... and for the pr0nz.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If he is getting a large size SSD... then a slow HDD will really not affect him at all. You have to think, the only things he'll really use this HDD for is to um, well, maybe save college or whatever papers too... and for the pr0nz.

well. I would't count on being able to save all games and software on say a 120GB SSD. Depends on how much software (n gaaames) you got. I know mine would be full, so I'm often installing things on my caviar black raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    well. I would't count on being able to save all games and software on say a 120GB SSD. Depends on how much software (n gaaames) you got. I know mine would be full, so I'm often installing things on my caviar black raid.
    I believe I read him saying however, that he had an interest in like a 240 GB SSD though. =X Also, Wries, check your PMs! ;p
    "A flower.