Poll: The big Four

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I find it odd that people flame Hetfield's vocals relentlessly, yet Mustaine's barely get any flak. Although I agree Hetfields voice has changed, it still has power. Mustaine on the other hand, sounds like a frightened teletubby most of the time nowadays.

OT: Metallica->Slayer------------------------------->Megadeth->Anthrax
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesneed View Post
    The Ashpole?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by panthro7 View Post
    To you I apologise for my dark contraversial sense of humour - For the record I merely meant while he was 'drinking' not being an alcoholic as like you said, he wrote Load and Re-load during that time, which imo, are awful
    Right right, I get it. And I suppose I tend to agree, if not for the fact that I love Death Magnetic. But your point could be said about Dave Mustaine, listen to anything from "Rust in Peace", you can just hear how drunk and high they must have been, the riffs in "Hangar 18" litterally just drips acid and other mind-fuck drugs, while say Endgame is still a decent album, it lacks that "far out" essence to the sound and solos which only drugs can create. FYI I'm against drugs, but this is still true.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Ponth, Mustaine's voice is either a love-hate thing. I hated his voice when I first heard there songs, sounded like 2 cats fucking, but it gets old very quickly when everyone bags him out cause of it. He sounds like a beast and I love it now, having said that though his recent live vocals could do with some work.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ponth View Post
    I find it odd that people flame Hetfield's vocals relentlessly, yet Mustaine's barely get any flak. Although I agree Hetfields voice has changed, it still has power. Mustaine on the other hand, sounds like a frightened teletubby most of the time nowadays.

I agree, Mustaine has good days and bad days - most are bad. When I saw them earlier this year, I was afraid that he'd sound awful, but infact he sounded amazing, probably because the tour was just starting or something, I don't know. But the "Big Four" gig in Sofia, which was telecasted, he sounded so awful it was indescribable. Then it came out on dvd and cd - and voila! He sounded perfect hah....

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Right right, I get it. And I suppose I tend to agree, if not for the fact that I love Death Magnetic. But your point could be said about Dave Mustaine, listen to anything from "Rust in Peace", you can just hear how drunk and high they must have been, the riffs in "Hangar 18" litterally just drips acid and other mind-fuck drugs, while say Endgame is still a decent album, it lacks that "far out" essence to the sound and solos which only drugs can create. FYI I'm against drugs, but this is still true.
    I've read Dave Mustaines biography, albeit a long time ago, that was during one his 'cleaner' stages in life when he was actually drug free during the writing of that album.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustakrakish View Post
    Ponth, Mustaine's voice is either a love-hate thing. I hated his voice when I first heard there songs, sounded like 2 cats fucking, but it gets old very quickly when everyone bags him out cause of it. He sounds like a beast and I love it now, having said that though his recent live vocals could do with some work.
    My problem is with the songs where he tries to "sing, that's what the issue is, but songs such as "Sweating Bullets" or "Peace Sells" where he snarls and talks instead - sounds amazing.

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 01:51 PM ----------

I've read Dave Mustaines biography, albeit a long time ago, that was during one his 'cleaner' stages in life when he was actually drug free during the writing of that album.
    Rust in Peace was not a drugfree period - oh quite the contrary, his biography might state that, but the foreword to the cd, states the oposite, as does the Megadeth documentary from the mid 90's.

The only thing ive heard from 'Death Magnetic' is from what i saw live on the tour, and from Sonisphere earlier this year. While they do sound quite meaty like the older stuff, it still wasnt enough to make me go listen to the CD, altho i keep being told im missing out. Ive seen them live 9 times i think, the best by far was on the 'Master' anniversary show they did in the UK but i wish SOOO much I had seen them on the Justice Tour in 89. One of the best live performances from any band ive ever seen, and i can only watch it on the small screen. So much passion in what they were doing, so much adrenaline on stage. When i saw them this year, it was the complete opposite. Almost like it was routine and they couldnt be arsed. Maybe it was just tiredness from the end of the tour, duno. Not a fan of the Post 1990 stuff, but ill not have a bad word said about the first 4 albums! :P

Aye, I'll have to re-read that part of his book. One thing that always struck me with Hangar 18 is how heavy it is, yet it's only power chords are in the last few minutes of the song. Perfect example that you don't need to tune your guitars down to drop A like Slipknot (>_>) and chug away mindlessly. Anthraxs latest album is good ... actually really good, may just go listen now while playing BGs

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 02:03 PM ----------

The only thing ive heard from 'Death Magnetic' is from what i saw live on the tour, and from Sonisphere earlier this year. While they do sound quite meaty like the older stuff, it still wasnt enough to make me go listen to the CD, altho i keep being told im missing out. Ive seen them live 9 times i think, the best by far was on the 'Master' anniversary show they did in the UK but i wish SOOO much I had seen them on the Justice Tour in 89. One of the best live performances from any band ive ever seen, and i can only watch it on the small screen. So much passion in what they were doing, so much adrenaline on stage. When i saw them this year, it was the complete opposite. Almost like it was routine and they couldnt be arsed. Maybe it was just tiredness from the end of the tour, duno. Not a fan of the Post 1990 stuff, but ill not have a bad word said about the first 4 albums! :P
    I've still got the Live Shit: Binge and Purge Seattle '89 on VHS, inherited from the old man

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well everyone as good days and bad days. Also they are 45+ :P

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 02:06 PM ----------

Aye, I'll have to re-read that part of his book. One thing that always struck me with Hangar 18 is how heavy it is, yet it's only power chords are in the last few minutes of the song. Perfect example that you don't need to tune your guitars down to drop A like Slipknot (>_>) and chug away mindlessly. Anthraxs latest album is good ... actually really good, may just go listen now while playing BGs

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 02:03 PM ----------

I've still got the Live Shit: Binge and Purge Seattle '89 on VHS, inherited from the old man
    "Worship Music" is... SO GOOD! Hymn 1 with In the End is just... A complete ear-gasm. Oh and Seattle '89... Best concert in the history of ever!

Deleted
    I agree, Mustaine has good days and bad days - most are bad. When I saw them earlier this year, I was afraid that he'd sound awful, but infact he sounded amazing, probably because the tour was just starting or something, I don't know. But the "Big Four" gig in Sofia, which was telecasted, he sounded so awful it was indescribable. Then it came out on dvd and cd - and voila! He sounded perfect hah....
    I saw them earlier this year myself, in Lisbon, with Slayer. He sounded great, and the same goes for when I saw them on Rock in Rio's "metal day" last year alongside Motorhead, Soulfly and Rammstein. These are just the last couple times I've seen them, coupled with all the others from earlier years I can firmly state I don't think I've ever caught him on a "bad" day. Might be because I'm biased due to Megadeth being one of my favorite bands, but I honestly think I'd notice if Mustaine was squeeling like a Teletubby.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    I saw them earlier this year myself, in Lisbon, with Slayer. He sounded great, and the same goes for when I saw them on Rock in Rio's "metal day" last year alongside Motorhead, Soulfly and Rammstein. These are just the last couple times I've seen them, coupled with all the others from earlier years I can firmly state I don't think I've ever caught him on a "bad" day. Might be because I'm biased due to Megadeth being one of my favorite bands, but I honestly think I'd notice if Mustaine was squeeling like a Teletubby.
    I'm guessing you didn't see the Megadeth bit from Sofia in the cinema? It wasn't just Mustaine who sounded shite, the entire band did, their soundguy deserved to be fired on spot.

voted for both Metallica and Megadeth, mainly as Megadeth got me into metal and metallica are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ponth View Post

Well, the thing is Mustaine always sounded awful. So if you wanted to enjoy the rest of the songs, riffs, solos, etc you learnt to kind of mute it out in your head. But Hetfield went from a roaring beast in the late 80s early 90s, to a more...tamed one, and the difference was more obvious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    On my personal big four, I would remove Anthrax and put Testament instead
    So much this. Testament rocks
    And what's with all people thinking Dave Mustaine sounds awful? I think his voice rocks

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shriekbat View Post
    So much this. Testament rocks
    And what's with all people thinking Dave Mustaine sounds awful? I think his voice rocks
    Well opinions are subjective.

Slayer > Megadeth > Anthrax > (skullfist > Born from pain > Dimmu Borgir (aka all of the metal scene)) > Metallica.

Saw metallica once in Gelredome in Holland. And it was beyond horrible. They played the complete Master of Puppets album, no contact with the fans at all, horrible quality and it was just beyond bad. Also they are really crappy since St Anger and Death Magnetic.
    Load & Re-load are still their best.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Slayer > Megadeth > Anthrax > (skullfist > Born from pain > Dimmu Borgir (aka all of the metal scene)) > Metallica.

Saw metallica once in Gelredome in Holland. And it was beyond horrible. They played the complete Master of Puppets album, no contact with the fans at all, horrible quality and it was just beyond bad. Also they are really crappy since St Anger and Death Magnetic.
    Load & Re-load are still their best.
    Such a funny little troll.

Such a funny little troll.
    Because I dislike Metallica for the worst concert I've seen in years? Sorry, but if I see over 50% of the audience walk away during a show, I know it's bad.

For those who don't believe me. It was a huge riot in 2008 (the concert was then) on the dutch metal and metallica forums.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Because I dislike Metallica for the worst concert I've seen in years? Sorry, but if I see over 50% of the audience walk away during a show, I know it's bad.

For those who don't believe me. It was a huge riot in 2008 (the concert was then) on the dutch metal and metallica forums.
    I call you a troll because what you said was wrong. "Really crappy since St. Anger and Death Magnetic" Yeah those are their newest records, for them to have been crappy since them - requires that those albums are some of their firsts.

... Granted it could just be bad wording, which in that case I retract the troll bit. Even though the Gelredome gig was in '06 and not '08.

I call you a troll because what you said was wrong. "Really crappy since St. Anger and Death Magnetic" Yeah those are their newest records, for them to have been crappy since them - requires that those albums are some of their firsts.
    lol... just lol..

let's name their crap albums

and justice for all
    S&M
    Garage Inc
    Kill em all

Sorry, but they have one or 2 decent songs per album. But they really really need a new singer. One that actually can have some energy during a live show.