View Poll Results: Will the Auction House kill Diablo 3?

Voters
244. This poll is closed
  • No

154 63.11%
  • Yes

34 13.93%
  • I'm going to make SO much money!!

56 22.95%
Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Will the Auction House kill Diablo 3?

Will the selling of gear in Diablo 3 for real money ruin the game?

For what i saw, untill they introduce new items in retail version of game i dubt RMAH will make you money. I dont see any item i will be willing to pay for!

Deleted
    It won't "kill" it. Those who don't wish to use it, simply won't.

I am going to try to sell some stuff though, just to try it ;D
    Buying, probably not. Maybe with money I gained through the AH, but still, probably not.

Deleted
    I do have concerns about how the RMAH will impact Diablo III's longevity.

I could see it fundamentally undermining the core "gathering" principles of the game. After all, why bother doing 15 "Baal runs" when you can just pop by the AH and get what you need. Now obviously this applies to the normal AH as well, but to a lesser extent since you still have to farm the gold and thus, play the game. I covered my opinion on the RMAH in more detail here: http://ggimho.com/2011/08/06/diablo-iii-the-real-deal/ just in case you're bored.

I don't like RMAH at all. That's why i won't use it. Cannot say the same about the gold AH, i think i will use it mostly for runes. Random stat generator rules

Anyway it won't break the game, since it will be used mostly by super elitists which want just to get gear fast to own people in arenas (imho).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I don't think the AH will actually kill the game at all. If anything it gives another niche of gamers(those who like to play the AH) something. Im skeptical at the moment that your average player will be able to make any significant money from the RMTAH, though. My reasoning being that the deluge of fees that are taken both by Blizzard AND Paypal(effective changes coming in October to pp so read up) will make most small transactions not vyable via pp.

The only caveat to this would be people playing the nonRMTAH and amassing gold to purchase items that have a decent RMTAH value to then sell(flipping). In this there will be a small market. Also, to avoid such fees and issues I imagine there will still be an element of people who use the nonRMTAH or trades for real money transactions outside of Blizzards control(like they are now). The incentive for this practice to continue imo is high because of the aforemention circumvention of profit loss from fees.

Anyway, I dont see it killing the game, its just a change. Personally I dont know whether I will do RMTAH but I certainly will do the regular AH for selling items for gold.

Deleted
    In the long run it will, but i dont think we will see many of those chinease money farming spams.

Deleted
    No, it won't kill and I really hope to make some money with that! At least enough money to cover the expenses I had would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by gravity00 View Post
    No, it won't kill and I really hope to make some money with that! At least enough money to cover the expenses I had would be nice
    If the OP is talking about the RMAH, which I assume it is then pretty much this. Players will eventually make enough back to cover what they paid for the game nothing more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly doubt it will ruin anything, it will just hard counter bad rng.

"Friends don't let friends be gnomes."

Deleted
    Diablo is much more capable of being done solo than World of Warcraft, so you won't be affected that greatly by people throwing their money away at virtual stuff, except for PvP(which wasn't very balanced in Diablo 2 anyway), so no, it's not going to make any difference.

Personally I'm looking forward to making some "easy" money while having a lot of fun doing it, although I will be prioritising my own character over selling stuff, since I doubt anything except the very best items will be sold for more than 10$... although you never know with gaming communities.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget though that you cant use this money outside your Bnet account, you can insert money, but you cant withdraw.

"Friends don't let friends be gnomes."

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I can't see it having any lasting impact. What I remember from the D1/D2 was there was the "black market" of sales which led to offsite sales at places like Ebay etc. which in turn put a demand issue for items and then "Duping" came about. At that point the economy was ruined since it was now out of control. At one point blizzard developed a program that would sweep the game for duplicate items wiping out all but the originals so anyone who had purchased an item or even traded in game legit lost their items permanently. It was just one nasty scenario.

The thing is the AH is there....do you need to use it? No. It will curve any supply/demand issues seen in the previous release. On a side note I leave you with this brilliant comic, enjoy:

Last edited by Azuri; 2011-09-28 at 01:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    The thing is the AH is there....do you need to use it? No. It will curve any supply/demand issues seen in the previous release. On a side not I leave you with this brilliant comic, enjoy:
    <snip>
    Awesome comic, hadn't seen that before

I don't think it will kill D3... it's not like you couldn't buy items in D2, you could. You just had to do it off-game and the people that did it had no idea who they were giving their money to or how the items had been obtained, but there was still trading going on. This way, it's monitored, it's legal, and it's 100% optional. Without competitive PvP does it really matter if someone you'll probably never come into contact with bought his uber-leet gear?

I think many will be disappointed who are thinking they're going to get rich off it, and I think it may affect some people who would have previously farmed for 10 hours to get that rare and instead think "meh, I'll spend 5 bucks on it instead." and those people will probably get bored quicker and not play as long; but overall I don't see how it could "ruin the game", because if you don't like it, you can simply ignore it.

It might not kill it for for many people cause the thought of making a little cash (or alot) will drive them to do about anything.

However, as much of a huge fan as I was of D1, D2 and the expansion. The real money Auction house has killed D3 for me.

I'm just not going to support it. It will have no place or even be used in my area of business.

I think it's bad for gaming, not only in this type of game (the random dungeon crawl) but if the business (blizzard) deems it successful what it could do to other games and other game developers. How far will they push the RMAH and it's use in future games?

I don't even like the thought of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    It might not kill it for for many people cause the thought of making a little cash (or alot) will drive them to do about anything.

However, as much of a huge fan as I was of D1, D2 and the expansion. The real money Auction house has killed D3 for me.

I'm just not going to support it. It will have no place or even be used in my area of business.

I think it's bad for gaming, not only in this type of game (the random dungeon crawl) but if the business (blizzard) deems it successful what it could do to other games and other game developers. How far will they push the RMAH and it's use in future games?

I don't even like the thought of it.
    Of course you don't have to support it, nor do you have to use it. But know that in D1 and D2 people were also buying/selling items, it just happened outside of it. Now with the RMAH in D3, people will continue to do it, but now it is clear to everyone in the community that it can, and is being done.

Now it's also better to track by Blizzard in case of someone duping items, which happened a lot in D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyilanmenyn View Post
    Of course you don't have to support it, nor do you have to use it. But know that in D1 and D2 people were also buying/selling items, it just happened outside of it. Now with the RMAH in D3, people will continue to do it, but now it is clear to everyone in the community that it can, and is being done.

Now it's also better to track by Blizzard in case of someone duping items, which happened a lot in D2.
    I don't have to drive a car either but it's convenient so I do. D3 will be the same in the end. Instead of playing the game for fun and trying to get all the gear you want. They will ultimately be driven to use the RMAH cause as we all well know, there is a growing trend in gamers today and want all the game and they want it now. By throwing a little cash in their face and the ability to skip running content again and again )in other words actually playing the game) you can just buy what you want (gear and or gold) Money makes people do all sorts of crazy things and I fault blizzard for preying on that.

However, I'm sure blizzard is banking on that but simply saying you don't have to use it is not that great of an argument as it could be used for any part of a game that has 2 sides debating on a feature.

Why not implement AC swapping in SWTOR (a very heated topic at times), "Simply don't use it" is not acceptable as an argument.
    Why not implement the ability to buy levels. Simply don't use it if you don't like it. Again not really acceptable as an argument either.

The list could really go on and on. Simply don't use it is not really valid. There are some things that just not need to be there. RMAH to me is one of them.

Yes, people did it in D1 and D2 and it was wrong in blizzard eyes then and to me should have stayed "wrong" Blizzard should have worked harder on fixing what they thought was the wrong way to play a dungeon crawl game instead of spending that time implementing RMAH.

But again, I don't like where it's headed in the long term of gaming should it be successful in their eyes. Real money should never be a factor in gaming beyond actually buy the game and for MMO's a sub fee. (I could see myself being lenient on other things as well but they haven't come to mind just yet.

Hell I can barely stomach blizzards WOW store these days but thats just me.
    Last edited by quras; 2011-09-28 at 02:21 PM.

No, it won't kill D3. Not in the slightest.

It's all about which you value more: Time, or Money. As the Goblins say, 'Time is Money, friend!', so it all comes down to which you value more.

If you value your time more, you'll go to the RMAH and buy the item.
    If you value your money more, you'll go out and grind the item.

Both approaches are perfectly valid and should be encouraged so as to appeal to the broadest market possible.

I absolutely look forward to seeing if I can make a bit of cash from the RMAH! D3 is shaping up to really blow our minds.

10+ Year Old Account
    playing HC only. RMAH is a nonissue for me.

so no.