Quote Originally Posted by GTG13ification View Post
    You evil person!"
    Hey, it's only PART of the reason!
    No it's not :P But c'mon, think of what I could learn from that podcast? :P
    FC: 4441-9848-5442 (If you want any gen 1-6 starter, PM me or ask on steam)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Yozzers everyone. How are all of you today?
    Classy. Sensational. Sexy.™

Quote Originally Posted by Daetrin View Post
    Yeah, but calculus is based on the principles of infinities, which behave oddly. A dx actually does have zero value, but it also is a nonsensical construct outside of calculus so it's probably irrelevent.

Also, if infinitesimals blow your mind, you should check out the Banach-Tarski Paradox
    Derivatives are also defined in terms of limits. A formal treatment of differentials is probably a bit much to try to explain if he's in intro calc.

Well, what you say is true. Perhaps, as you said, I worded something wrong. Which I guess when discussing infinities and things like that, wording is very important to properly express what you were trying to say. I think I probably did mean length and not value.

As for the second part, once you have the infinite amount of zero's in front of your decimal value, for calculations that aren't really meant to take into consideration infinities and such (like calculating volume, or length, or area etc.) wouldn't the value be zero. I understand that it gets infinitely smaller because you can always just add another zero, then add another one, then another one, and so on, but for calculations would you represent it as zero?
    For real-world calculations, sure, at some point rounding to zero makes sense. But it is always rounding, and in a formal mathematical treatment, it always introduces error (provided we're working with finite numbers of zeroes). It's actually perfectly valid to use infinities in calculation of areas - in fact, there are geometric objects with finite volume and infinite surface area - see Gabriel's Horn.

I'm off to class, will be back later to fight more righteous battles for mathematical rigor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Yozzers everyone. How are all of you today?
    the usual
    But add inception
    I was the Rainbow Das at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrozzis View Post
    Well, what you say is true. Perhaps, as you said, I worded something wrong. Which I guess when discussing infinities and things like that, wording is very important to properly express what you were trying to say. I think I probably did mean length and not value.

As for the second part, once you have the infinite amount of zero's in front of your decimal value, for calculations that aren't really meant to take into consideration infinities and such (like calculating volume, or length, or area etc.) wouldn't the value be zero. I understand that it gets infinitely smaller because you can always just add another zero, then add another one, then another one, and so on, but for calculations would you represent it as zero?
    You can't actually say 0.00 (infinite zeros here) 001. It's a contradiction in terms. That's why infinitesimals only work as a construct for calculus (and differentiation), rather than as independent entities with a coherent value.

10+ Year Old Account
    * pops head into the thread

* looks around

* pops head out again

Quote Originally Posted by Cranica View Post
    Derivatives are also defined in terms of limits. A formal treatment of differentials is probably a bit much to try to explain if he's in intro calc.
    Formal treatment of differentials was how my intro to calc was handled, actually...

We had to go through all the various proofs before we started doing any differentiation or integration.

Quote Originally Posted by Seelenjaeger View Post
    Definitely awesome.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icyshadow View Post
    Hey, it's only PART of the reason!
    No it's not :P But c'mon, think of what I could learn from that podcast? :P
    You could learn something weird? That you won't ever need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by DasHuntard View Post
    the usual
    But add inception
    Well that is alright.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Worer View Post
    That's just fucking insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    This land is peaceful, its inhabitants kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeframe View Post
    Ok then, since some Mod brought me here and didn't even remotely attempt to help me:

Why is this site the only place in the world that is apparently obsessed with a (tv show?) that looks like it's for young girls.
    Okay, incredibly hard to type on a phone post is a go!

The show, although it has a feminine theme, is not actually a "show for girls.". Most of the jokes are actually pretty ententertaining, and the characters are fairly believable, you can almost relate to each one of them. I would compare this show to Adventure Time, or Spongebob in terms of entertainment. If you are still curious, give the show a chance, watch a few episodes:

Quote Originally Posted by Daetrin View Post
    Formal treatment of differentials was how my intro to calc was handled, actually...

We had to go through all the various proofs before we started doing any differentiation or integration.
    Differentials, or derivatives? Derivatives are simple to treat formally, but I'm not sure how or why one would do differentials

Deleted

G'night, I'm off... feeling down again for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by GTG13ification View Post
    You could learn something weird? That you won't ever need to know?
    Maybe it'll contain some sort of hints as to future plans? It's a frickin' interview with BRONIES, who knows what kind of crazy shizz can happen? They could send some assassins to threaten him to give out exact details of every episode for the entire show's life if they so wanted.
    FC: 4441-9848-5442 (If you want any gen 1-6 starter, PM me or ask on steam)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Dragon View Post
    I'm doin fine, how bout you Cryppy-kun?
    you know the feeling when you bash a family member, like your mum or dad. then you come home and they do something awesome for you? or really nice and sweet, then you feel like the biggest, must ungrateful pick on this earth but they don't know it? i had that. Well, almost. i had a dream about it, about me mum been evil (she's the best mum ever) and it hasn't really left my mind, lingering at the back throughout the day. So when she did this for me i felt like a dick because i has started to think them thoughts as true. =(

but they're gone now, and i hugged my mam <3

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrNd...eature=feedlik Looks so epic ... so fucking epic

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Quote Originally Posted by Diftraku View Post
    [img]http://i.derpy.me/8E7dTm.png[/ig]

G'night, I'm off... feeling down again for some reason...
    Have a good night Dift.

10+ Year Old Account
    right right, that discussion about how we can relate to ponies that I sort of missed but feel obligated to contribute to now.

Rainbow Dash: I can relate to her because I personally hate losing. She is a competitive pony to say the least and I see that aspect of her in myself. She also has this certain bluntness that I can respect.

Rarity: As for fashion, I cannot relate. But as for being an artist I can. Not in the sense of drawing or sculpting something, but in the sense that I am a musician. Obviously the two things aren't completely related, but they share some similarities. And I also just like her character.

Pinkie Pie: She is insane. In a good way though. And I think that somewhere in me there is a little insanity that pops out every now and again, though it tends not to be the bad kind. Oddly enough, I am a very introverted person and would probably not like Pinkie Pie if I were to meet her. I tend not to like loud talkative people.

Fluttershy: Her name says why I can relate to her. I am shy. Very, very shy. So I could immediately relate to how she acted and how she was portrayed. When she finally reached her limit and went nuts on the dragon, I could see myself doing something very similar if I was provoked enough.

Twilight Sparkle: Enjoys a good book, I can relate. Though she may enjoy too many books for my taste. She is quite studious, which is something that I envy, since I am not. I can also relate to the way she was thrust into ponyville and told to make friends. I have moved 7 times in less than 18 years, so I have had to readjust my life constantly. I knew what it felt like to be the new person in town.

Apple Jack: I actually don't really like Apple Jack that much. Could be because she is based off of southern culture, and I try to distance myself from southern culture, idk. Though I can relate to her stubbornness. None of you have ever been in an argument in which I was determined not to lose, but to say the least, I am adamant in my positions. Other then that, I don't see a whole lot in her.

so yah, ponies are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranica View Post
    Differentials, or derivatives? Derivatives are simple to treat formally, but I'm not sure how or why one would do differentials
    Sorry; process of finding a derivative = differentiation. Differentials as in Differential Equations are something else entirely, yes. Oh naming conventions, you so crazy.