Poll: Would you push the button?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Would you push the button of..?

I think we've all heard about the experiment with the button and that if you push it, someone dies and you get million dollars.

But this one's a bit different. Would you push the button if after pushing it, someone you don't know dies, you get a million dollars and the experiment ends(you or your family/friends will never be at the other end). But if you don't, it goes on to the next person who then decides your fate and so on. So overall, only one person would die and only one would receive the million dollars, this would go on until someone pushes the button.

So would you push it?

Deleted
    ofcourse i would

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, yes.

True, it's a very tough decision, and even the thought of killing someone upsets me, but considering that the person who dies isn't going to be someone I know, I'd rather just push the button and ensure that the people I know and love are all safe, instead of passing the 'opportunity' to another person, and therefore putting my friends, family and myself in danger.

I'd still do it even without the $1M 'reward'.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great and Powerful View Post
    Yes, yes I would. Doesn't need to be a million, either.
    A glass of chocolate milk and a free pizza and I'm sold.
    Sounds just like you.
    But yeah. People die every day anyway, why not make a million with it.

Deleted
    yes, but would hate myself for it.

If I said no, someone else would get to play the game and potentially kill me?

I'd absolutely smash it.

depends.

how many times am i allowed to push it? can i keep going until someone i want dead dies?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    depends.

how many times am i allowed to push it? can i keep going until someone i want dead dies?
    Nope, you wouldn't know who it is.. you just know it's not someone you care about (a friend, a family member etc.). If you push it, he/she will die, if not, someone else will get the button and decides if you will die and so on. It would go on until someone pushes it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way you set it up, everyone will push the button, I'd like the $1M, but I'd press it anyways to protect the people i know.
    The people with the most to say generally know the least.
    I prove the above statement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baradur View Post
    The way you set it up, everyone will push the button, I'd like the $1M, but I'd press it anyways to protect the people i know.
    Not really, it's more about killing someone vs trusting your life in the hands of a stranger. Your friends and relatives have almost no chance of being a part of it since there is like 7 billion people on Earth. It's just being mentioned because this post isn't about some twist or fate that after pushing it, someone you care about would die because someone else pushed the button.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    If I said no, someone else would get to play the game and potentially kill me?

I'd absolutely smash it.
    This, really. If I press it a random person dies, I get a million and everyone else is "safe"; if I don't someone else will and I and/or people I care for will be in jeopardy. Pressing it sounds like a gigantic fucking win/win to me.

Would you push the button if after pushing it, someone you don't know dies, you get a million dollars and the experiment ends(you or your family/friends will never be at the other end). But if you don't, it goes on to the next person who then decides your fate and so on.
    So if I push the button, out of the last person who refused the button and their family and friends, one of them will die. If I don't push the button, someone else gets a crack at killing me and my family or friends?

Well the decision is easy. I have no family or friends, so I will pass the button along. I see no need to murder a potential father, mother, daughter, etc. when if I pass the button there is only the potential that I will die. I'd press the button and live the next week under the assumption that I'm going to die, which means have as much fun as humanly possible. I bet knowing I could die at any given instant would magnify my senses towards everything. Imagine how good chocolate ice cream would taste knowing I could fall over dead any second!

I'm only kidding of course, I want to live! I'd still pass the button, but I'd also consider everyone who visits this website to my bestest friends, decreasing the chance that I will die in favor of one of you guys, I'd say that give me greater than a thousand to one odds of living.

Okay kidding aside, I'd just push the button.
    Last edited by Inner Universe; 2011-09-30 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    To be honest, yes.

True, it's a very tough decision, and even the thought of killing someone upsets me, but considering that the person who dies isn't going to be someone I know, I'd rather just push the button and ensure that the people I know and love are all safe, instead of passing the 'opportunity' to another person, and therefore putting my friends, family and myself in danger.

I'd still do it even without the $1M 'reward'.
    I was pretty certain I would say no. Untill i read what you put. I never thought of it that way.

I think I would push the button to save my family. Plus the 1m wouldnt hurt.

with the fact someone is going to die regardless, and there's no way to end this vicious cycle otherwise, yes I'd take the million dollars, under this logic:

-someone's going to die, and it won't be someone the button pusher knows
    -therefor, if I push it, the people I know are safe
    -if I don't push it, it could go to someone who doesn't know me or my family, and they could be the ones to die.

so on top of obvious greed, it would be the most logical choice to protect the people I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could I push it multiple time for multiple payments of millions of dollars? I would push that button more than a mage spams arcane blast throughout his lifetime. Anyone who says they wouldn't press it is lying imo.
    Tanks are made of steel, blood and a shield, not magic and twigs.
    My Warrior My Shaman

Deleted
    Ye I would, million euros...I dont mind

The question sucks because all logic and emotion points to pushing the button, even if we ignore the monetary reward. It boils down to murdering a stranger or murdering someone you love. There is no emotional or logical reason to choose murdering a loved one over a stranger who you will never meet or know anything about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner Universe View Post
    The question sucks because all logic and emotion points to pushing the button, even if we ignore the monetary reward. It boils down to murdering a stranger or murdering someone you love. There is no emotional or logical reason to choose murdering a loved one over a stranger who you will never meet or know anything about.
    How so? Loved ones aren't really even part of the question. I just mentioned them to avoid someone posting this as an option. It's basically murdering someone vs trusting someone not to murder you. If you push the button, you kill someone, if not, you trust the next person to resist temptation and not to kill you.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would probably push it before I even heard the terms and conditions of committing such an act. I see random buttons I have these obsessive thoughts that I must push it just to see what it does. Curiosity is a bitch.

Deleted
    I voted no. I'm not sure I would be able to live with myself if I did it.