Poll: Best year for gaming?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Best Year for Gaming?

Do you think this is the best year for gaming? With titles such as Assassin's Creed: Revelations, MW3, BF3, Skyrim, Gears of War 3, and SW:TOR being released it is likely going to be in my opinion. It is quite possible that some of the games will be busts but there will be atleast a few that will be awesome. If only Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 were going to be released this year.

Too many games, too little time. It will be an epic year for the wealthily unemployed if such a thing exists.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brown View Post
    Do you think this is the best year for gaming? With titles such as Assassin's Creed: Revelations, MW3, BF3, Skyrim, Gears of War 3, and SW:TOR being released it is likely going to be in my opinion. It is quite possible that some of the games will be busts but there will be atleast a few that will be awesome. If only Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3 were going to be released this year.
    I'm certain I've thought this same thing every year for the past 5 or so years now, this year has got to be a genuine contender though.

15+ Year Old Account
    good games are always coming out. A "best" year for gaming would have to include something revolutionary for gamers.. most likely when the new next gen consoles are out and they boast fully downloadable games at half the price of physical copies.

I mean let's face it.. memory isn't an issue anymore.

I think the years in the most recent past that made the biggest impact on gaming was 2004. You had WoW which no one had any idea what it would turn into, then you had Halo 2 which shaped and molded what consoles are today bringing the next chapter to console gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    good games are always coming out. A "best" year for gaming would have to include something revolutionary for gamers.. most likely when the new next gen consoles are out and they boast fully downloadable games at half the price of physical copies.

I mean let's face it.. memory isn't an issue anymore.
    That would majorly kill a lot of playing games for me. Hoping the world gets devoured by Giygas in 2012 so that never happens.

Hands down the best year for gaming ever.

All platforms have heavy hitters.

Nintendo

New Zelda
    Mario Kart
    Super mario 3D Land (Weird title tbh)
    Ocarina of Time

Sony
    Uncharted 3
    Resistance 3
    Ico/Shadow of the Colossus
    Infamous 2

Microsoft

Gears of war 3
    Halo: CE

Multi
    Portal 2
    Batman
    Assassins creed
    MW3
    BF3
    Saints Row 3
    Skyrim
    Catherine
    Deus Ex
    LA Noire

The list goes on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    That would majorly kill a lot of playing games for me. Hoping the world gets devoured by Giygas in 2012 so that never happens.
    Why's that? If there was a way to have a record of your purchases and you could re-download them if something happened I don't see how it's a bad thing. I mean having your personal info out there to buy stuff does suck, I prefer point cards but it's how the future is going and there's no use fighting it. Music has already been phased out, movies are on their way.

Deleted
    If I had to choose one it would be 1998. Certainly not 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming
    Last edited by mmoc3a217ad312; 2011-10-01 at 05:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dzwiedz View Post
    Well... If I had to choose one it would be 1998.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_in_video_gaming

Feel free to use it to determine best year for you
    I was hesitant to name a best year, and then I saw that. Yep, 98 wins.

(Also, 6 months between Blizzard expansions? WTH?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why's that? If there was a way to have a record of your purchases and you could re-download them if something happened I don't see how it's a bad thing. I mean having your personal info out there to buy stuff does suck, I prefer point cards but it's how the future is going and there's no use fighting it. Music has already been phased out, movies are on their way.
    I have many many reasons why I dislike digital distribution as the future for games but rather then go into a rant I will just list some short quick reasons why I despise it.

-Companies pretty much control the life cycle of a game. If a game isn't making money they are not going to waste server space for the long run and keep it around. Think of all the games that will vanish once this gen of systems is over that were download only. And this isn't a thing that could possibly happen, it has already happened with similar download services of the past that had exclusive games.

-Makes games so much more easier to be butchered apart and sold as pieces. If people think DLC is bad now I can only imagine how horrible it will be when almost every game out there can be sold as episodic releases.

-Relying on an internet connection. Yeah its 2011 blah blah blah I don't care its still the fact that you are dependent on an outside source to play games that irks me. I wake up in the middle of the night from nightmares about "cloud" gaming structures.

That is just some quick reasons why I hate it but I could go on for a while.

Also for the record I have no problem with games being download AND retail its only when a game is only distributed through a downlaod that I am greatly displeased. I don't want to sound like an ass but I secretly really hope something horrible happens to one of these services to make more people realize that digital downloads are not the best thing ever for the future of games. I am going to hold out as long as I can and if all else fails and there is nothing left for me to do well then I can honestly say I will just start pirating the stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brown View Post
    Stock markets and Unit sales so far say no, not by any margin at all. Desktops sells are down to a point Dell and HP are bailing out of the industry, AMD is at a all time low and even Intel's sales are down. Gaming side, Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft report big drops in sells. You rate a year by just having a few titles coming out 0.o. 2011 sucks for the entire industry.

My best gaming year is probably 1995, mainly because most of my favorite games I still play nowadays got released, like: DKC2, Yoshi's Island, Warcraft 2, Command and Conquer

Every year this gets brought up, and every year it's always true.

Deleted
    Voted no.

Many games yes, most of them are boring though or bad. And the good ones are too short.. or not released yet:P

Quote Originally Posted by ita View Post
    Voted no.

Many games yes, most of them are boring though or bad. And the good ones are too short.. or not released yet:P
    Is there a game that you don't find boring? I'm constantly seeing posts by you complaining about games.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't express how excited I am for Skyrim and ACR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Deleted
    It's a great year but honestly - most years are great for gaming around this time of year : -P

2012 will see an early Diablo 3 release, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock 3, Max Payne 3, Far Cry 3, Syndicate remake(omg), Borderlands 2, Twisted Metal, new Starcraft II and probably many many other big titles.
    An awful lot of 3s but good things come in threes right?

2012 looks more exciting to me tbh, although 2011 was certainly above average with the Witcher 2 and some of the upcoming titles (cant wait for Rage and Dark Souls personally...why oh why do they have to release on the same day)

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post

The list goes on.
    It does so every year... It is just that people have better memory of the very recent past.

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 12:14 PM ----------

most likely when the new next gen consoles are out and they boast fully downloadable games at half the price of physical copies.
    you mean TWICE the price right

As soon as the publishing companies themselves have ultimate control over who plays what and pirating games is a thing of the past, the corporate choke-hold over our wallets will most certainly tighten.

So do your best and BUY PC games instead of torrenting them and avoid console versions (which are technically inferior to boot) whenever you can.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Is there a game that you don't find boring? I'm constantly seeing posts by you complaining about games.
    I see..

Where are you getting that idea by the way? I have occasionally complained about latest MMOs, which is like 4 games, yes because they "aren't like they used to make them any more" but never about any other game.

Deleted
    really can't think of any outstanding games this year that are considerably better than their predecessors. nothing seems to be innovative and they are mostly just remakes of older concepts with enhanced graphics. does that make it the best year ever simply because the tech has increased and allowed for more graphically pleasing games? not really. the best year ever will be when something reinvents gaming and brings something entirely new to the market, not reproduced and slightly adjusted drivel.

that doesn't mean to say i won't play and enjoy many of said releases, but calling it the best gaming year ever is just plain ridiculous.